Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

D&D and miniature painting

Started by OliverR., March 06, 2019, 07:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OliverR.

Anyone else here into playing D&D and painting miniatures? I'm addicted to this. There are so many of them that I wish I had, but they don't sell them around here. This one looks amazing:

https://www.amazon.com/Bones-Dragon-Tortoise-Miniature-Reaper/dp/B00YLNN5AE/ref=sr_1_163?crid=33KW7W1EI44QS&keywords=bones+reaper+miniatures&qid=1551877782&s=gateway&sprefix=bones+reape%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-163

I live in maine and it is very difficult to find people who play dungeons and dragons.
"Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!" :eusa_sick:
  •  

Quinn

i used to play D & D 40 years ago , had so much stuff.  All the figures were pewter at that time thou

Have fun with it
  •  

OliverR.

Yeah, most of them are plastic now, which I actually find easier to paint. It's a good hobby if you want to get out and meet people.
"Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!" :eusa_sick:
  •  

Melinda@heart

I used to love painting minis. Now it's difficult for me to see the fine details. I'll get some out that I painted and post some pics. I'm trying my hands at dice boxes now. Here's my first attempt.... before and after. The green one is the one I'm working on now. I have some leather I used the same stain on to make it match. Will post when completed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

•  

Tribble

I've always loved gaming minis but haven't collected many over the years.  I used to want to play D&D or the FASA Star Trek or West End Games Star Wars games years and years ago but never found a group.  I had a friend that would play kind of a mixture of all of the above, but it was very, very loose and almost no rules were followed.  We were just kinda having fun.

For a long time now I've wanted to model gaming minis, but haven't done so yet.  I have the means to print them but have not done so yet.

I know of a possible group starting up locally, possibly, but I haven't heard anything for a while.  I think they'll be playing D&D.

Wouldn't mind getting into GURPS, if that's still a thing.

I'm not sure my eyes would allow me to paint them, anymore.  Chainmail is difficult enough for me for any length of time.
2003-2004 -- Gradual transition -- I didn't correct pronouns and people basically settled on the right ones on their own.
late 2004 -- Orchiectomy.
Late 2015 -- Stupidly saw the political climate and spurned on by my husband's request for a divorce I detransitioned.
2019 -- Rebuilding my wardrobe so I can retransition.  Turns out I cain't bury my true self, after all.  I call these last few years my failed experiment.  At least I found my true feelings were real.
  •  

Melinda@heart

Finished the green one then made a black one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

•  

Maddie

Nice looking dice boxes, Melinda@heart!
I have been heavy into D&D and miniature painting, on an on-and-off basis thru my life. As a pre-adolescent, D&D was an obsession and distraction that alleviated what I was going thru.
Miniature collecting and painting came much later, as an adult getting back into it, esp. after I quit cigarettes.
Similar to crossdressing, I would indulge D&D for a while, and then try to purge the stuff, and get "serious about life" for a few years.
Now, after coming out to people in a transwoman direction and being "serious" for a couple years, I find that I'm hiding out in the D&D world again. I think its helping me cope.
I have even been presenting female, running and playing in games publicly. Not costume-y or like drag, just trying to be a gamer gal.  Not in Maine, though!
If I ever figure out how to post pictures right, i'll put some up of my painted figures..
Crossdressed as small child. Told parents, then hid it.
1980s-2010s Alternately "out" to varying degrees and/or outright denial and man-faking
2015 Surrendered/allowed my she-self to show more outwardly. Changes begin.
Currently working with counselor. No HRT or surgeries yet.
  •  

Maddie

Also, OliverR, I met someone a few weeks ago, from Maine, who gave me a flyer for a D&D game convention there. I think they said it was being held in a cool historical kind of venue. I may have thrown the flyer out, but if I find it, I'll post the info here or in a msg.
Crossdressed as small child. Told parents, then hid it.
1980s-2010s Alternately "out" to varying degrees and/or outright denial and man-faking
2015 Surrendered/allowed my she-self to show more outwardly. Changes begin.
Currently working with counselor. No HRT or surgeries yet.
  •  

Senkusha

@Tribble mentioned GURPS.  I recently discovered GURPS, although I haven't had a chance to play it yet. 

I've played D&D, but never really got into it.  I'm not really a fan of the fantasy genre.  But something more modern day or better yet, science fiction, games like ShadowRun come to mind, I'm a big fan of.  Bonus if I can play an anime styled character!

I never got into the whole miniature thing though.  Just rolling dice and dreaming up characters that end up sitting on a dark, dusty shelf.
  •