News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Transition anxiety

Started by CallMeV, March 08, 2019, 11:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CallMeV

Hi everyone
I actually came out to two friends/coworkers today. I was pretty sure they would be cool because they are both pretty liberal and one of them is nonbinary. So I sorta blurted it out in an anxious rush. They were both awesome and supportive and it couldnt have gone better.

But somehow, this has made things seem more real and I'm having alot of anxiety over transition.

I just cant stop thinking about all the steps I need to take, how the people around me will react and how I will look. I feel like I have an anxiety attack everytime I think about it. It makes me question myself and my identity and whether I have what it takes to actually transition. And that's not even touching on all the fear I have over 'what if something goes wrong?'. What if I get stuck in the middle of transitioning? What if I lose my job? What if my state passes more anti lgbt laws? What if I cant handle the stress of transitioning? So many 'what ifs'

It feels like I'm standing on the edge of a yawning chasm. On the other side is the life I dream off, but first I have to get there and its utterly terrifying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

•  

LizK

Quote from: CallMeV on March 08, 2019, 11:09:17 PM
Hi everyone
I actually came out to two friends/coworkers today. I was pretty sure they would be cool because they are both pretty liberal and one of them is nonbinary. So I sorta blurted it out in an anxious rush. They were both awesome and supportive and it couldnt have gone better.

But somehow, this has made things seem more real and I'm having alot of anxiety over transition.

I just cant stop thinking about all the steps I need to take, how the people around me will react and how I will look. I feel like I have an anxiety attack everytime I think about it. It makes me question myself and my identity and whether I have what it takes to actually transition. And that's not even touching on all the fear I have over 'what if something goes wrong?'. What if I get stuck in the middle of transitioning? What if I lose my job? What if my state passes more anti lgbt laws? What if I cant handle the stress of transitioning? So many 'what ifs'

It feels like I'm standing on the edge of a yawning chasm. On the other side is the life I dream off, but first I have to get there and its utterly terrifying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hi callmev

Being anxious about transition is common for most of us and it does really seem almost impossible when you are first starting out. I think it can seem so daunting because of this great big list and the pressure we put on ourselves to complete each item. I would suggest you take some time and plan out as much of it as you can...it will lessen the chance that you miss something.

You are in an unfortunate position where the reality is that laws could get changed on you therefore making things more difficult than they already are. I don't really have any advice for that....maybe do what you can and see how things go...worrying about it will not make it better nor help you. The old adage one day at a time is pretty good for this situation. I hope you manage to overcome your anxiety and achieve what you want.

Take Care

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Faith

anxiety ... oh yeah! Not constant any more yet I do have flare-ups. I still see my goal as being across a huge dark chasm full of missteps and pitfalls. Baby steps, little steps. Don't concentrate on the end (dysphoria will do enough of that on it's own) instead concentrate on the next small step. You will reach a point where the big goal is not so daunting .. well, I hope. I'm not there yet myself :P
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

OliverR.

I'm in the exact same stage as you are and it is really daunting...I do not have a job at the moment and am worried about approaching my vr counselor about this (It's already really hard to find a job in belfast me:P) It's really great that you came out to some of your co-workers, that's a big step.(one of the hardest) I hope everything goes well for you! :)
"Don't make me run! I'm full of chocolate!" :eusa_sick:
  •  

Rayna

Hi V,

As others said, it looks like a huge set of tasks before you. For myself I've concluded that I'm gender fluid, and so I am not stressing over transition -- I will cross or not-cross those small bridges as I reach them. Give yourself time, talk to your nonbinary friend, and don't worry too much. Things will work out over time and as you gain comfort with yourself.
Good luck, and hang in there! Randy
If so, then why not?
  •