Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Problems with body dysphoria and self-medicating proccess

Started by felppro, March 12, 2019, 08:59:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

felppro

Hi trans folks, how have you been doing?

I will try to be brief with what I have to say. I still don't know if I am binary transgender person, in this case, a MtF person, but I have always been feminine and into women's clothes and things. So... due to my body dysphoria (because balding and face appearance) I decided to fight against the Testosterone in my body to stop it from masculizing myself a little bit (I've always had a sweet face that was never masculine, but I really wanted to feminize it more without fully transitioning, so I decided to go into HRT using anti-androgens medicines.

I know that self-medicating is risky but I am a poor person and there are no doctors where I live experienced with transgender issues. I looked for at least three and all of them said no to me, so I got really discouraged by the doctors and decided to do it myself because time was passing and I was feeling really down when looking at the mirror.

I started taking <dosage removed> spironolactone and <dosage removed> finasteride five months ago, then I changed the dosage of spironolactone a few times, (changing it according to my mind because sometimes I felt really depressed). Two months ago I started to feel sensitiveness on my left breast, and then it turned to a brief pain one month ago. I started noticing that my left-breast was the only one that was developing and then things started to get really terrible. My dysphoria got really worse (now I can't even sleep and I ended up finding myself binging cigarettes to manage the anxiety and feeling of unbeloging to myself.

I was really happy before that because I saw softening of skin and my face got little traces of feminization which I loved, besided that, my body hair started to fall out and my morning erections stopped and I felt so amazed by that, I was feeling really really happy, but now... I feel like I am an aberration because I don't want to have one side of enlarged breast and nothing on the other. It hasn't fully developed yet, there is a lump inside and I see that it is a little bit more designed that the other one so I decided quitting spironolactone for few months and see if the lump inside it disappears. But I can only cry about that, if my right breast went through the same proccess, I would feel really complete and I would be able to manage it until the changes I wanted to see happenning took place and then I could quit it for a while.

But now I feel really terrible because I don't want to quit the medication, but I don't want to be the "man" with one-sided breast, it is killing me and I am really thinking of suicide. I don't want to have big woman's boobs on me, not yet, maybe I am not prepared for that, a small enlargement on BOTH breasts would be perfect to handle, but not one...

And when I looked for it on Google it said that 5%/10% of men see gynno happens to only one side of the breast and I feel like I am the unfortunate ones to be facing this issue.

I really need help because I feel hopeless, I wish I could continue with it as my body hair fell out amazingly, and my face was a little bit more feminine and soft, wearing make up felt so good these days, and now I am feeling like a piece of sh!t. I wanna die. If I stop the medication can my left breast come back to normal? And what I can do to keep my testosterone levels at low without risking my appearance? I don't wanna look like an aberration, I wanna look normal. I was also thinking of quitting anti-androgen and investing in estrogen-only to see if my right breast develops a little.

Having my testosterone back would completely kill my vibe and my dysphoria would come back. I am only 24 years old, skinny femboy and it would not look good the way it is. Please, help me, none of my friends understand me, and my family is not supportive at all (one of the reasons why I don't go fully on HRT).

I apologize if I don't make myself clear, my English is not my first language.

<dosages removed by moderator>
  •  

Jessica

I'm sorry you are having a difficult time with your efforts to help your body become more in line with your mind.  It is especially hard when you haven't the support from a knowledgeable doctor.
It's a shame that they have turned their back on you, in effect forcing you into quite risky self medicating.  That risk is evident as you have not being able to effectively manage them.  Your problems that you are experiencing are more than likely caused by improper use.  I can't say if the fact that your growth in only one breast at the moment is due from that, but please keep in mind that often enough the second one will catch up.  Though know this, many women's breasts don't match each other.
My thoughts are to return to searching or revisiting doctors so that you may get proper guidance in your medications.  When you are on a safe regimen, you may find a balance that fits your bodies needs.
Are there any transgender support groups or possibly finding a gender therapist in your area that can help you?  They may have useful and local sources to give you the support you need.

I wish you hope and luck in your endeavors, and pray that you find a way out of your mental anguish.

Hugs, Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

CallMeV

Hi felppro!

I'm so sorry you have to go thru this! It sucks and its not fair. Dysphoria is a monster and I hate that you have to deal with it. I'm sure it's even tougher now that the possibility of self medicating is looking complicated.
  I'm in a similar situation, living in a very conservative area with very little in the way of trans resources. I cant help much with the medical side of your post unfortunately. I'm ftm and new to researching transition. And I'm not sure what country you live in, but would online therapy or a online doctor be a possibility?
   Hang in there and take care of yourself!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

•  

JamesG

I hope the OP is still around and at least read Jessica's good advice.
  •  

Linde

I don't think that neither spiro, nor Finasteride can cause some of the described changes (certainly no t softening of the skin.  Finasteride could cause some breast growth, but that would affect both side.  Something is going on that should need medical attention.  Both medications are not meant for self medication, specifically not for playing around with the doses.  Spiro as a potassium sparing diuretic can lead to kidney damage if not taken under medical control!

Go to a doctor is my urgent advise!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•