Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A life sentence

Started by Asche, March 16, 2019, 03:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asche

One of the on-line stories that I've downloaded and reread a lot has as its main character an AMAB person who, at age 6 (early 1950's), was caught wearing her sister's clothes and as a result was sent off  to be abused by the mental health profession and later in a borstal, until she managed to escape.

For reasons that are too long to describe here, she becomes responsible for two young girls and is having to deal with social workers who want to know about her past.  She tells them a small part of the horrors she endured, and when the social worker suggests that it's in the past, she answers that the abuse is still running around in her head, the pain never goes away.  "It's a life sentence."

Anyway, recently that phrase has been echoing in my mind.  I'm slowly becoming aware of how much the Hell I went through is an integral part of who I am.  There was never a time before the horrors, so there is no self that wasn't already deformed and maimed by the abuse.  There is hardly anything I do or feel or am which isn't still visibly affected by it.  I'm realizing that unless someone knows this about me, they will never understand me or why I do what I do.

Up to now, I've avoided talking about any of this because my experience growing up was that nobody wanted to hear any of it.  They'd push it away or dismiss it or minimize it.  What surprises me is that now some of the people I know are willing to listen and even sympathize and validate my feelings.  Somehow this is allowing me to actually feel for myself just how bad it was -- and still is.

I think that this is once again a case of my subconscious not letting me feel something or even see it until I'm ready to deal with it.  Last weekend I was back in the headspace from childhood where no one can be trusted and anyone I talk to will try to make me feel bad, and on Sunday, someone from my church, seeing how upset I was, got me to talk to her.  She was willing to hear me, to sympathize and support me, which in my state of mind was kind of a shock.  I cried and felt my despair, but because there was someone there who could hold my despair in her heart and not freak out or push me away, I was able to bear it.  It made a big difference.

It's a little like my being trans and out: the more the people around me can recognize my transness (and my peculiar version of it), the more comfortable I feel with my transness myself.  Maybe, as I'm more able to open up about my pain and brokenness and despair and see people validating and accepting it, the more I'll be able to deal with it myself and won't have to run away from it.  (This is very new and very scary stuff for me, though.)

I will always be what my Hell has made me (and maybe that's not entirely bad), but if I can be "out" about it and still be in the human race, maybe I won't have to suffer the additional Hell of being alone with it.
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Jackie S

Asche, that statement is so true. We live with CPTSD and the effects of the abuse our whole lives. And people who haven't experienced it don't realize how it is never "just in the past". I am so glad you found someone who would listen to the pain, even if for just a little bit. Finding those people are part of the slow, step-by-step recovery we work on our entire lives. I have been fortunate enough to find a few people along the way over these many years who were willing to listen and accept me as I was (or at least, as much as I was willing to show them/share with them at the time). It becomes a wonderful paradigm shift to discover that some people are empathetic and, to some extent, trustworthy.

I have a book on CPTSD recovery that I have been working through. It is being very helpful for me. But even the author points out that we will be recovering from it for all our lives.

Thanks for trusting us enough to share these bits of your journey.

Warm hugs,
Jackie
Non-binary - genderfluid: M30%-Flux40%-F30% ... but 100% me. And loving it! (Mostly  ;))
  •