Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

I got my new ukulele yesterday! Beautiful!

Started by islandgirl, April 11, 2019, 06:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

islandgirl

What a joy to play! It sounds beautiful and looks just as good! Any other ukulele players out there? I am looking for good sites to get free sheet music! Let me know what you play and how you get your music. I have a tenor ukulele, well two of them now. I really like the depth of sound. I joined a lesbian ukulele band and will be practicing over the next two months and then play in our Pride Parade!

Happy playing! Hugs!

Kelly
  •  

Jessica

Hi Kelly, I have a nice sounding soprano but I've been in the market for either a concert or a tenor.  Any suggestions?  I've played guitar since my teens and only picked up the uke a few years back.  I get my music through a google search.  Add uke and sheet music to anything you like.  Chances are there's something out there.

Hugs and smiles from a California girl

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

islandgirl

The thing about ukuleles is that you can get a decent ukulele for under $200.. I have a thing for solid wood instruments so when I wanted to upgrade my ukulele, I looked at the brands that fit the bill. I looked at Kala and Pono. I fell in love with the Pono.. There are a variety of woods that Ukuleles are made and I researched what at the major makes use.. I decided on mango. Very bright sound.  Really worth the money! You should check out the ukulelesite.com.
  •  

CynthiaAnn

What a fun and an enjoyable past time and a great way to meet new folks !

Have a blast !

Cynthia -
  •  

islandgirl

Yes! I am hoping that besides getting me more into playing, it does give me opportunities to meet new people as I have moved to a new city just over a month ago! Music has always been something that settles me and playing has not always been easy. I just love the process of learning and hearing the results of my labour! I can get lost for hours!
  •  

Anne Blake

OK Kelly, you know the rules, "Pictures or it didn't happen". Please share the beauty of this new gem.

Tia Anne
  •  

islandgirl

I forget how to input pictures into the threads!

Help needed! With Danielle out of the loop for a while, maybe someone else can help me!
  •  

Jessica

@islandgirl

Quote from: islandgirl on April 15, 2019, 08:56:08 PM
I forget how to input pictures into the threads!

Help needed! With Danielle out of the loop for a while, maybe someone else can help me!

I'm no Danielle, so I go to her instructions......click below

Trouble posting pictures??? HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Jessica

Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

•  

CynthiaAnn

•  

Anne Blake

She is a beauty, has she told you her name yet?
  •  

islandgirl

Thanks! She does sound sweet and her set up is wonderful! My hope is that I can learn to play her as well as she deserves to be played! The leader of our ukulele band is coming back this week and she is going to meet with me to check out my ukulele and to start me off with the music she has selected for our group. So excited! I have been trying to pull stuff from the internet but I have not been that happy with what I can get for free. Sure is different than getting mandolin music! That is available in abundance !
  •  

islandgirl

This week I joined in a ukulele strum along at a local pub! There must have been over 40 of us! This event takes place once a month and I am for sure going to them! Talk about a great way to get up to speed with my playing.

This coming Monday is the first first practice for the uke band that I joined. It is the first ever all lesbian ukulele band in Victoria! Should be fun! The plan is for us to perform in the upcoming Pride Parade that takes place first week of July. Hope all you musicians are having fun playing!
  •  

Zumbagirl

Quote from: islandgirl on April 11, 2019, 06:18:23 PM
What a joy to play! It sounds beautiful and looks just as good! Any other ukulele players out there? I am looking for good sites to get free sheet music! Let me know what you play and how you get your music. I have a tenor ukulele, well two of them now. I really like the depth of sound. I joined a lesbian ukulele band and will be practicing over the next two months and then play in our Pride Parade!

Happy playing! Hugs!

Kelly

I bought a ukulele a few years ago and I agree it is fun to play even though I don't know many tunes to play on it. I did teach myself the 12th street rag on the uke and it's one of my favorite tunes to play whenever I pick it up.
  •  

islandgirl

I picked up a few songs from youtube strum alongs! Fortunately, I was able to get quite a few songs through my new groups!

Happy playing!
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@islandgirl
Dear Kelly:
Nice looking Ukulele...  have you been playing a Ukulele for long????   
I can play a 6 string guitar but I am way out of practice.

I am glad that you were able to provide a picture... but I see that @Jessica had to help get it to show up on a posting of hers... 
I am sorry I was not available when you needed the help but that is why I posted instructions for all of our members.

... If you post a picture again be sure to follow the my published instructions exactly. 
It appears that you might have missed or not followed steps 6, 7 and 8.

Hugs and best wishes,
Danielle

Go to this LINK:  Trouble posting pictures??? HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS                               

FIRST OFF:   It is best to use a desktop or Laptop computer because phones and pads usually do not have the button functions to do what is needed.

Step 1:  Go to Imgur.com  (you do not have to sign up as a member there)
Step 2:  Click "New Post"
Step 3:  Click "Upload Images"
Step 4:  Drag picture from your computer to Imgur download box, or copy and paste, or enter URL
Step 5:  Put your curser on the upper/right of your downloaded photo on Imgur
Step 6:  Go to the "down arrow" and then select "Get Share Links"
Step 7:  COPY:   "BBCode(forums)
Step 8   PASTE:  To the body of your message/posting/reply
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

islandgirl

Thanks Danielle! When posting the picture, I thought that I did follow all directions, but still had problems. Not enough practice doing these things! I went far back into my messages and did find your post, after the fact!
  •  

DawnOday

Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

islandgirl

That is one of my favourite pieces! A couple of tricky chord changes but beautiful!
  •