News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Groups in Southeast

Started by jesse135, April 15, 2019, 09:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jesse135

Hi all

Does anyone else have issues attempting to sort of just - get out of the house at all - in the deep south or south east? Sometimes I am scared if I can emotionally handle how people treat me and haven't left the house for fun in a while now. I am afraid to go to group because I'm not a fan of groups. I am curious if anyone else feels the same at all of any of these thoughts? Sorry if this isn't group-related or seeking group advice. However, I was not clear where to go on the forums for this one. Half-empathy half-advice half-not-alone-thing.

Jesse
  •  

jesse135

Bump? Sorry if not allowed to bump. I'm waiting on any responses.
  •  

Dani

Jesse,

Could you be a little more specific on which city you are interested in?

I live in Miami and there are several support groups here and in Ft Lauderdale and points North. Tampa and Orlando have supports groups as well, but they are a bit too far for me.
  •  

Chloe

Atlanta is very trans friendly many support groups too
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

CallMeV

Hi Jesse!
Yeah, I live in Mississippi and I struggle with similar feelings. I'm a high anxiety person raised in a very conservative religious area so I know what the people around me say about trans people. Im not out, but I wear alot of gender non-conforming clothes and on my bad days my anxiety and dysphoria team up to really ruin my day.
  I haven't been able to find any type of lgbt support group within driving distance.  Fortunately tho I'm lucky enough to be working at a semi liberal job environment for the first time ever. So I used our town's upcoming pride parade as an excuse to form a little group to represent our workplace at the event.  This has given me a semi safe way to meet some other lgbt people which has really helped alot.
  I know that's not a possibility for everyone but you might also be able to find a local Unitarian church.  Im not religious myself,  but it seems like in the south Unitarian churches are a gay haven.
  Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

•  

jesse135

@Dani I am interested in Louisiana and Mississippi particularly, but I am curious about all of the southeast, if perhaps others in these areas have similar issues.

@Chloe That's awesome. Yeah, more metro cities are moving right along, which is great!

@CallMeV Hey, I'm from MS, born and raised until right before the whole trans-is-now-politics thing a few years back. I moved right before that to Louisiana. Where are you from? You don't have to answer publicly if you want to stay hiding, I get it. Yeah, I'm from the coast, but lived in Starkville for years for college. Inland MS is not my cup of tea, unfortunately. Are people perhaps educated where you are at this point on the LGBT community, or still backwards where you live? Happy to hear your workplace supports you. That's big!
  •  

CallMeV

Quote from: jesse135 on April 22, 2019, 09:00:52 PM

@CallMeV Hey, I'm from MS, born and raised until right before the whole trans-is-now-politics thing a few years back. I moved right before that to Louisiana. Where are you from? You don't have to answer publicly if you want to stay hiding, I get it. Yeah, I'm from the coast, but lived in Starkville for years for college. Inland MS is not my cup of tea, unfortunately. Are people perhaps educated where you are at this point on the LGBT community, or still backwards where you live? Happy to hear your workplace supports you. That's big!

I'm from north central Mississippi, near Oxford.
Within the City things are pretty okay, it's much more liberal that the surrounding county but by liberal I mean everyone is okay with gays and lesbians. Trans people not so much.
Yeah my work has been a life saver to be honest. I'm only out as non-specific 'queer' at work but it's so much better than any job I've had before.
I think there are some support groups in Pascagoula and/or Biloxi. I dont know how active they are though. I know here in Oxford all we have is a local PFLAG chapter, but when I contacted them, they no longer actually have meetings. Which I feel like, what's the point of keeping the chapter on the website and Facebook then?
Anyway good luck on your search!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

•