Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Question on a dress?

Started by Lisa89125, April 26, 2019, 11:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa89125

Hi ladies, I have a question? Would this dress be anything that actually could be worn out? I really like the blue one but fear I could only wear it around the house. https://ups.aopcdn.com/s218/goods/17967/0ud52ec93b3c894ee7972f103c1267c314.jpg@!w600-h800

How about this bodycon dress? https://ups.aopcdn.com/s218/goods/17798/0u31cccb2ff9d04efa84977a72e68766d6.jpg@!w600-h800

I'm more a skirt and nice top gal!

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Michelle_P

Quote from: Lisa89125 on April 26, 2019, 11:08:04 PM
Hi ladies, I have a question? Would this dress be anything that actually could be worn out? I really like the blue one but fear I could only wear it around the house. https://ups.aopcdn.com/s218/goods/17967/0ud52ec93b3c894ee7972f103c1267c314.jpg@!w600-h800

This looks like something I might wear to church or to a dressier occasion.  Nice, dressy but not formal look.

How about this bodycon dress? https://ups.aopcdn.com/s218/goods/17798/0u31cccb2ff9d04efa84977a72e68766d6.jpg@!w600-h800

I'm more a skirt and nice top gal!

Lisa

Formal event or high end cocktail dress.  I might pick something like this for an evening cocktail party, or possibly a gala such as the Q center's big Pride fundraiser gala.

Neither of these is really what I see in the West Coast as regular daywear, the stuff I might wear going out to lunch with friends or shopping.

Is that what you were looking for?
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Lisa89125

I'm looking for a dress the shade of blue. Something I can wear on a normal day without drawing unwanted attention. I hope that makes sense?

Lisa

•  

Maid Marion

Amazon may be useful in finding casual options.  Read the comments.  Some people will describe what they bought the dress for.
  •  

TonyaW

Like them both but they are a bit dressy for every day. Old Navy has lots of casual dresses.  Got this one a while back on sale for $8

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•  

Gertrude

Quote from: Lisa89125 on April 27, 2019, 01:02:00 AM
I'm looking for a dress the shade of blue. Something I can wear on a normal day without drawing unwanted attention. I hope that makes sense?

Lisa
EShakti has a lot of options in all styles. Lands End has some nice daily wear too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Denise

Unless you've had GCS, yhe Red one will require a really good tuck. But it would be good for a formal black tie optional event. You would definitely get noticed.

The Blue is nice for a first date at a nice restaurant. But probably not fit every day out shopping.  (Unless you have a time machine to the 1950s)

I like Tonya's suggestion of Old Navy.
This is another on-line place I've ordered from.  The quality is okay, not the best. But I like what I've ordered.
In my opinion this would be a good "let's go shopping" dress.
https://m.rotita.com/roll-tab-sleeve-button-up-denim-shirt-dress-g217392.html

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

Lisa89125

Ladies, Thanks for all the suggestions. Dresses are new territory. I normally don't wear dresses so I know very little about them.

Lisa

•  

Denise

These are the thoughts I go through when buying any piece of clothing.
0) is the item worth the price?
1) when will/would I wear this?  If "I don't know" then put it back
2) picture where in your closet it would live. If there are a few of the same style and/or color, put it back
3) picture it hanging in your closet. Would you grab it to wear it? If it's not, put it back
4) then try it on and go through the same questions again.  But add...
5) do I like the way I look in this?
6) is it age appropriate?
7) would I be comfortable walking out into the store with this on?
8) can I afford it in my budget?

There are only two things in my closet I've not worn.  One was from a thrift store for $5 and one is a smoking hot dress that is, maybe not age appropriate and I had to wait for GCS to feel good about the way it hangs. Now to wait for warm weather.

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

Jessica_K

I would wear something like this during the day, even for work

Jessica xx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

Lisa89125

Quote from: Denise on April 27, 2019, 01:16:00 PM
These are the thoughts I go through when buying any piece of clothing.
0) is the item worth the price?
1) when will/would I wear this?  If "I don't know" then put it back
2) picture where in your closet it would live. If there are a few of the same style and/or color, put it back
3) picture it hanging in your closet. Would you grab it to wear it? If it's not, put it back
4) then try it on and go through the same questions again.  But add...
5) do I like the way I look in this?
6) is it age appropriate?
7) would I be comfortable walking out into the store with this on?
8) can I afford it in my budget?

There are only two things in my closet I've not worn.  One was from a thrift store for $5 and one is a smoking hot dress that is, maybe not age appropriate and I had to wait for GCS to feel good about the way it hangs. Now to wait for warm weather.

Denise, Those are pretty much my thoughts anytime I'm shopping no matter what I'm looking at. Not just clothing. I like to buy stuff even if I don't need it.

Lisa

•  

barbie

Quote from: Lisa89125 on April 26, 2019, 11:08:04 PM
Hi ladies, I have a question? Would this dress be anything that actually could be worn out? I really like the blue one but fear I could only wear it around the house.

Why not?

I like wearing dresses every day, even as sleeping gown.

Probably I have more than 30 dresses at my closets.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Denise

I wish I had your youth not to mention your legs.  You rock all those!

The Voices are Gone
I am just Denise
  •  

Lisa89125

Amen!

Barbie, The first dress I brought up I am still in love with. But it does look like something out of the 1950's. The second dress I really like and probably could wear if I was a skinnier version of myself. I don't think not having GCS would affect my ability to wear the bodycon dress because all that junk is pretty tucked already. I don't think alot would show.

Lisa

•  

barbie

Quote from: Denise on April 28, 2019, 03:47:10 PM
I wish I had your youth not to mention your legs.  You rock all those!

Thanks! BTW, I am not so much young anymore.

Quote from: Lisa89125 on April 28, 2019, 07:45:52 PM
Amen!

Barbie, The first dress I brought up I am still in love with. But it does look like something out of the 1950's. The second dress I really like and probably could wear if I was a skinnier version of myself. I don't think not having GCS would affect my ability to wear the bodycon dress because all that junk is pretty tucked already. I don't think alot would show.

Lisa

The two dresses you linked to show look elegant, but I am sure they are not so much comfortable to wear every day. Dresses can be surprisingly comfortable while still looking elegant.

I prefer wrap dresses, as they are as comfortable as sleeping or bath gowns. Fortunately here they are very cheap, ranging from ca. US$20-50 for nice ones.

I have seen many aged women from North America and Europe wearing dresses in summer as a kind of formal dress during international conferences. Even baggy dresses can look great. I like the following baggy red dress that I purchased a few years ago at Big Island of Hawaii. As I remember the prices was less than US$10.

barbie~~

Just do it.
  •  

Lisa89125

Barbie, You rock in all of those dresses. I like the first and second dress. The third, Not so much my style. It's still a pretty dress though.

Lisa

•