Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Little known Sci-fi shows

Started by Julia1996, April 27, 2019, 02:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julia1996

There are 4 scifi series I really liked but they seem little known even among sci fi  fans. The first is Earth final conflict. It's from gene roddenberry. I absolutely loved this show but it's pretty much unknown among most scifi fans. The second is Andromeda. This is also from Gene Rodenberry. It's ok. Not spectacular but watchable.  The third is farscape. I really liked it. Most Aussies know about farscape because it's an Australian show but most Americans have never heard of it. The last one is Lexx. It's also called Tales from the light and dark universe. I really liked this one too. But again, most people have never heard of it.

So my question is, have any of the sci fi fans here watched any of these shows and did you like them?
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Maid Marion

I like to watch Andromeda.  I'd occasionally watch it when it first came  out.  I can now watch it on a broadcast Science Fiction channel.
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Farscape was awesome and has more of a cult following in the states than you might think.  Lexx might have had the most cleavage per scene out of any sci-fi show I've ever seen.

Babylon 5 was really good until the last season, Defiance is more recent but quite enjoyable, Firefly was outstanding but only one season, there are more but I can't think of them at the moment.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Karen_A

I watched Earth Final Conflict and some of Andromeda... Final Conflict was much better.

- Karen
  •  

MaryT

Lexx was my favourite sci-fi show of all time.  I liked Stanley Tweedle.  He was the most powerful man in two universes and the only living man on a spaceship where his only living companion was a genetically engineered sex slave, but he still couldn't get laid.  Lexx hasn't been shown on British freeview television for a long time.

I am also a Farscape fan and I liked Earth Final Conflct.  Both were repeated on British television in the last few years.  Andromeda is being repeated now but I have only seen a couple of episodes, including the first one, as I have been too busy to watch it regularly.  I liked what I saw but I haven't seen enough to pass judgment on the series.

•  

GingerVicki

Quote from: Julia1996 on April 27, 2019, 02:58:33 PM
There are 4 scifi series I really liked but they seem little known even among sci fi  fans. The first is Earth final conflict. It's from gene roddenberry. I absolutely loved this show but it's pretty much unknown among most scifi fans. The second is Andromeda. This is also from Gene Rodenberry. It's ok. Not spectacular but watchable.  The third is farscape. I really liked it. Most Aussies know about farscape because it's an Australian show but most Americans have never heard of it. The last one is Lexx. It's also called Tales from the light and dark universe. I really liked this one too. But again, most people have never heard of it.

So my question is, have any of the sci fi fans here watched any of these shows and did you like them?

This American knew about all four! Woo Hoo!
My Lexx and Farscape are the best of the four. If I had to pick I would watch Farscape.
  •  

MistressStevie

Quote from: Colleen_definitely on April 27, 2019, 05:14:12 PMBabylon 5 was really good until the last season.

There are some interviews out there with J. Michael Straczynski where he originally planned the series to go all five years.   There were many questions as they were putting the fourth season together as to if season five was going to happen.   Most of the fifth season was then pulled together after the bulk of the story arc was told in the first four.   

Babylon 5 is still one of the best SF series ever as they told a grand tale over a grand production scale.   At the time it was very innovative and has been widely adopted since.  JMS was the creator / writer for the ambitious Netflix Sense8 series which has been discussed in other threads.

SciFi channel had an interesting 3 season series a couple years back called Continuum with time travel and technology that told a good yarn.   

•  

Colleen_definitely

I read about that as well. The story was a five season plan and they thought they were going to get cancelled so they rushed things in season four. All in all I think they did a good job.
  •  

big kim

Blake's 7. Not a big sci fi fan but I enjoyed this and Babylon 5
  •  

Gertrude

Quote from: big kim on April 28, 2019, 01:49:33 AM
Blake's 7. Not a big sci fi fan but I enjoyed this and Babylon 5
Blake's 7 was cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Julia1996 on April 27, 2019, 02:58:33 PM

I've actually heard of all four, but have only seen Farscape.  I loved it! 

Maybe I should watch all of these shows that everyone is talking about.  ^-^

Ryuichi

•  

Perry

I like my sci-fi disguised as comedy. I really liked both Eureka and Warehouse 13, not sure if they are little known or not.
Integrity has no need of rules.  -Albert Camus

•  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: Perry on April 29, 2019, 04:14:21 PM
I like my sci-fi disguised as comedy. I really liked both Eureka and Warehouse 13, not sure if they are little known or not.
@Perry
Dear Perry: 

I liked both shows that you mentioned.   

Eureka was an interesting television series about how the little town that has a collection of the greatest scientific minds along with their "secret" inventions that the US Government relocated there...  all the top secret stuff can sometimes cause much chaos and the local sheriff is then overwhelmed with occasional disasters that have to be controlled.

Wharehouse 13 television series is kind of an extension of the last scene of the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark ...  of crated up and boxed up collections of out of this world and top secret devices that if unleashed and uncontrolled can become a dangerous scenario.

Both of these series are very difficult to find re-runs, but worth watching if you can find them

Thank you for bringing back memories.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Oh yes Warehouse 13 is definitely worth a watch.  Don't be worried about the really cheap special effects in the first season, they got way more funding later on.  The character development, witty dialogue, and interesting artifacts really made that show fun.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Alaskan Danielle on April 29, 2019, 04:55:57 PM
@Perry
Dear Perry: 

I liked both shows that you mentioned.   

Eureka was an interesting television series about how the little town that has a collection of the greatest scientific minds along with their "secret" inventions that the US Government relocated there...  all the top secret stuff can sometimes cause much chaos and the local sheriff is then overwhelmed with occasional disasters that have to be controlled.

Wharehouse 13 television series is kind of an extension of the last scene of the movie Raiders of the Lost Ark ...  of crated up and boxed up collections of out of this world and top secret devices that if unleashed and uncontrolled can become a dangerous scenario.

Both of these series are very difficult to find re-runs, but worth watching if you can find them

Thank you for bringing back memories.
Danielle

Oh man, I loved both of those shows!   :D  I'm trying to think of some little-known shows I loved, but my mind's drawing a blank. *facepalm*

Ryuichi

•  

MaryT

In the early 1960s in the UK there was a TV series called Space Patrol, which had no connection to the US radio series with the same name.  It was a children's show with puppets but I remembered that I favoured it over puppet sci-fi shows such as Fireball XL5, even though I only saw a few episodes before leaving the UK. 

Some time back, I watched a couple of episodes of each on Youtube.  The scripts of Fireball XL5 were pathetic but those of Space Patrol were quite thoughtful.  It was written by a woman and one of the lines was "there are no dumb blondes on Venus".  I am sure that the logical Venusians must have been an inspiration for the Vulcan characters in Star Trek.  In the series, "Uranus" was pronounced in the old fashioned way, which inspired many jokes in those days.  I still think that the music and sound effects on Space Patrol were good.
  •  

Bea1968

Gonna have to cast my vote for FIREFLY. 
  •  

Julia1996

I recently came across Space 1999. Considering it was made in the 70s it was pretty well done. Though I found the idea of the moon taking off from Earth's orbit and wondering around the galaxy a bit far fetched.😂
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Faith

Quote from: Julia1996 on May 02, 2019, 11:39:25 AM
I recently came across Space 1999. Considering it was made in the 70s it was pretty well done. Though I found the idea of the moon taking off from Earth's orbit and wondering around the galaxy a bit far fetched.😂

wow ... I vaguely remember that one. Martin Landau, I liked a lot of his roles.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

LaRae

I like Farscape. It's difficult for me to remember what's well-known & what's not, as UI'm a super sci-fi dork, so most of them I've known for quite some time. Of the ones I think would qualify, or at least would nowadays,  there's Stargate-SG1 & Battlestar Galactica (2004).
"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armour and it can never be used to hurt you."
  •