Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Game of thrones S8 E03: am I alone to feel revolted?

Started by Stacy, April 30, 2019, 07:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

I'm not going to spoil, this show is sacred for me so I'm just saying this to people that have watched the last episode of Game of thrones S8 (episode 3). The episode just created a mega sexist reaction lately in all america. I feel revolted to see that we are still fearing women that much and seeing them unworthy of anything this great, or too weak. Is anyone angry at this? Seriously living in a world that think this way toward women, I can't imagine what they would think of trans women. We see progression sometimes but this show just pushed people to show their colors and it's a disappointment and a huge regression. Fortunately it's not like a real population survey and I guess that most of the fans are male, so that explain some of it. I love this show and despite all the male panic over the internet, I'm really happy of how the show turned. It's awesome.
  •  

Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Stacy

•  

Kate.claire

They're just trolls... ignore them Stacy.  I play a lot of online games with predominantly males, toxicity rules the day when people are talking to strangers.  I imagine when they aren't playing games, they spend the rest of their time trolling the internet making ridiculously sexist statements just to rile people up.  Don't even let them win by getting your attention.

I'm quite happy with the show as well, did a good bit of cheering, cowering, cringing, etc on Sunday.  We watched it on a nice tv with good contrast, so I thought the lighting level was just right for the foreboding nature of everything and the utter chaos one would expect in the situation.  However, doesn't matter what they do with the plot, some people are going to claim it's rubbish.  No way to end the story and not spoil some expectations.
Kate Carter

"I'm on outside, I'm on the outside now"

•  

GingerVicki

I liked the episode and honestly, I was disappointed in some scenes. Of course, I wanted to see some different development.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: GingerVicki on April 30, 2019, 09:41:17 PM
I liked the episode and honestly, I was disappointed in some scenes. Of course, I wanted to see some different development.

Same.  Oh well, I plan on reading the books I haven't read yet in order to find out what really was supposed to happen.   

And I agree.  There are some men (certainly not I!) that have nothing better to do than make stupid, sexist remarks in order to gain attention to their petty little lives.

Don't feed the trolls, they will only turn on you.

Ryuichi

•  

Stacy

Those days I have sometimes a hard time to know what is trolling and what is said on purpose. I know that some write to provoke, but at some point I wonder how authentic can be an argument repeated by many. Anyway it seems it's a minority. I've seen many counterattack with more legit arguments than only sexism. I also think that those days, we have so many shows and we have seen so many things, that people are really harder to satisfy. When we have seen everything, it takes a lot to surpass this. But I think it's one of the best shows of my life. It has been so long until this coming of season 8! I've not read the books, is the serie missing a lot of stuff overall?
  •  

zirconia

Hi Stacy

I'm not revolted by the episode, but I must say I feel a bit disappointed and let down. To me the story of season 8 overall feels much more unfinished than in the previous seasons, and the dialogue at points seems even trite—as if some less than stellar screenwriters had wrested the script from the author, and tried to remold it into a different image. The climax of episode 3 also seemed to me so abrupt that I was left wondering how it could be logistically possible.

Anyway, I've watched the series with great interest and admiration until now, and hope that what bothers me may perhaps be set right in what remains of it. If not—well, I've saved reading the books until the series is over, and hope that they in turn may provide the finish and magnitude I've hoped to see in the closing chapters...
  •  

Ryuichi13

Quote from: Stacy on May 01, 2019, 09:10:57 PM
Those days I have sometimes a hard time to know what is trolling and what is said on purpose. I know that some write to provoke, but at some point I wonder how authentic can be an argument repeated by many. Anyway it seems it's a minority. I've seen many counterattack with more legit arguments than only sexism. I also think that those days, we have so many shows and we have seen so many things, that people are really harder to satisfy. When we have seen everything, it takes a lot to surpass this. But I think it's one of the best shows of my life. It has been so long until this coming of season 8! I've not read the books, is the serie missing a lot of stuff overall?

If I remember correctly, HBO deviated from the books starting in season six due to the next book not being finished.  GRRM gave them his blessings, and helped with the script and everything, but he also said that the books are going to be vastly different from the series. 

I read most of them, but only got as far as partway through 'A Dance with Dragons' before I decided to focus on the TV series and read the books after the series ended due to the books being so different than the series.

I figured that once XXXXXXX happened, then XXXXX would also happen, and it did.  ;)  So, now things seem like they're going to just be a matter of wrapping up loose ends, if you ask me.  I really loved the episode, it had both me and my partner on the edge of our seats for the entire episode.  It gave off the realism of what that kind of situation would truly be like. 

I suppose I am saying "I expected a Hollywood story, and I got one," vs "whatever GRRM is planning for the rest of the books."  I don't expect that things will be quite as packaged and complete in the books as the TV series has made things.

Ryuichi

•  

Kate.claire

It might be hard not to disappoint on some level,  as the story progressed early on,  we're met with endless possibilities and our imaginations run wild.  As the story progresses to an end,  those infinite possibilities are narrowed to a singular reality, and we feel the letdown.  I don't think that can be overcome.  Having said that,  I do think you can detect when the writing ran out of GRMM material and probably moved onto his outlines.

Agree about the abruptness though... leaves me wondering if things won't be as tidy as they appear.

Haven't read the books yet either,  figured I'd read them separately if they ever get finished.  I get tired of starting series that never get concluded. 
Kate Carter

"I'm on outside, I'm on the outside now"

•  

Charlie Nicki

Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •