Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

HRT Gel

Started by MarieLouise1982, May 02, 2019, 07:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarieLouise1982

As above , has anyone or is anyone used/experience with hrt gel?

Thanks

Marie
  •  

LizK

Yes I used it for the last 12 months...what would you like to know
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

MarieLouise1982

Well I'm on the patches at the moment but I think I'm allergic to the adhesive , so they have offered me the gel. Just wondered how you apply how often , is it as good etc?

Marie
  •  

LizK

I have just stopped using gel about 6 weeks ago and switched to the Patches. Everything was going fine and I was applying the GEL to my inner arms and having no real issues. Then after about a year I was tested for levels as I noted some changes that indicated my levels were low(which they were). My levels indicated they were through the roof(25000...yes that high) and repeated testing had my levels all over the place. In the end I was accused of self medicating and could still not get an accurate level. In the end it turns out despite using the opposite arm(for blood test) than the one I had applied the gel to that day, I was still contaminating the blood sample. Over the period of awhile if you use the gel on your arm it will build up in the fatty tissue. If it is not applied exactly right the levels will be low and it is easy to mess up.

I was tested after switching to patches only to find my levels were in my boots and was prescribed a larger dose. I also had to correct the way I was applying the it. The gel must be totally rubbed in and no residual left on the skin at all. As I was using more than one sachet, this turned out to be an arduous task taking about 15 minutes or more to apply.

I am back on patches...I did have difficulty getting them to stick but I just recently have managed to resolve that issue and am waiting to see what my levels are next week.

In the long term I was not happy with the gel...too messy, too long to apply and far too inconsistent for me however YMMV.

Hope all  that helps...I am happy to answer any questions and feel free to PM me if you want.

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

zirconia

Hi, MarieLouise

I'm using gel as well. For me it's very nice. I was told to apply it to different places (e.g. low belly, inner thighs, low sides, low back, buttocks, etc. where I have no hair) on different days. Thus far I've had no problems...

As for comparisons—sorry, I can't since I've not been prescribed any other forms.
  •  

MarieLouise1982

I'm at a whim now ..... I may ask if they do a tablet form ? Would be a lot easier really.

Thank you for your help ladies

Marie x
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: zirconia on May 02, 2019, 09:29:50 AM
Hi, MarieLouise

I'm using gel as well. For me it's very nice. I was told to apply it to different places (e.g. low belly, inner thighs, low sides, low back, buttocks, etc. where I have no hair) on different days. Thus far I've had no problems...

As for comparisons—sorry, I can't since I've not been prescribed any other forms.
Same experience for me!

Kind regards, Kirsten.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

bobbiesj

Same experience for me!  No issues, and levels have been rising, so, I am happy so far.

I do not however rub it in.  I was told to lay it on, and let it be absorbed in the skin.

Arms, inner thighs, buttocks are the main areas I use.

Bobbie
  •  

zirconia

Hi, Liz

Quote from: LizK on May 02, 2019, 07:54:19 AM
The gel must be totally rubbed in and no residual left on the skin at all.

Like Bobbiesj, I also was not told to keep rubbing in until dry, but to just spread it evenly on an area about 10 * 20 cm and wait until it dries. (The package instructions also don't tell to keep rubbing...)

Did your doctor explain why he wanted you to rub for so long after application? How does it help?
  •  

Alice (nym)

I am using gel... just a small dosage.  I rub it on my inner thighs and alternate between the two thighs. I use my wrist (alternate depending on side of body) to rub it in until nothing remains and it is practically dry. Not tried the patches yet, got some to try but the dosage is a little too high for me right now. I like the gel to be honest... I put it on before bed, and watch a film or some drama while rubbing it dry. It's a nice little routine. To be honest, I was using my wrist to rub it in because I didn't want to contaminate my daughter with any residual before washing my hands in the bathroom, but apparently it helps absorb more... so win/win I guess...
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

Charlotte F

Quote from: MarieLouise1982 on May 02, 2019, 10:39:56 AM
I'm at a whim now ..... I may ask if they do a tablet form ? Would be a lot easier really.

Thank you for your help ladies

Marie x

Hi Marie

I had problems with the Evorel patches and then tried gel (Oestrodose).  It really didn't work out well and I started detransitioning as my levels dropped through the floor.  After that I gave Estrodot patches a go (available privately or through the NHS) and they have revolutionised things for me.  They are tiny (the 100s are about an inch square), easily hidden on the bum, don't give me any skin reaction or the bleeding I was getting from the Evorel patches cutting my skin in hot weather or during sports.  Perhaps ask your doctor about a different brand and see if that helps

Charlotte
  •  

LizK

Quote from: zirconia on May 02, 2019, 02:11:36 PM
Hi, Liz

Like Bobbiesj, I also was not told to keep rubbing in until dry, but to just spread it evenly on an area about 10 * 20 cm and wait until it dries. (The package instructions also don't tell to keep rubbing...)

Did your doctor explain why he wanted you to rub for so long after application? How does it help?

Just to clarify my experience I wanted to say that (and I wasn't clear about this) my Dr asked me to try rubbing the gel in until it was "Practically Dry" similar to what @Alice (nym)  describes. If you have tried to do this you will realise that it takes awhile and I was always left with a slightly sticky residue. The actual instructions by the manufacturer for the gel are set out below along with a link to the patient information leaflet.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1048/pil

"Follow these instructions:

1. Apply the gel once a day to the skin on your lower body or thighs.
2. Spread the gel over an area 1–2 times the size of your hand.
3. Allow the gel to dry for a few minutes.
4. Wash your hands after applying the gel. Avoid contact of the gel with your eyes. The gel may irritate your eyes.
5. Do not wash the area where you have applied the gel for at least one hour."

I cannot explain why I had the issues I did with my blood tests, however I posted here (the entire thread about the issue I was having) asking if anyone knew why this may be happening and was directed to this information.

Once I shifted from my arm to my inner thigh my levels remained very low, so it is at this stage that my Dr re-evaluated the way I was applying the gel(which was per the above instructions) and increased the dosage to a larger volume of gel. She also asked me to try and rub the gel in until "practically dry" With this amount of gel it takes some rubbing to even get it too the point where it will begin to dry. Simply spreading it out over a hands width left a thick layer that can take longer than a 1/2 hour to dry well enough that I didn't get it on my clothes. It would not be inconceivable that each of us have different rates of skin absorption so the old adage applies YMMV. 

I would have been quite happy to stick with Gel if I had not had the issues I did and these issues only arose after a long period of time. The thing that kicked this off for me was that I noticed changes consistent with low Oestrogen levels which prompted me to get my levels checked. It was the 4 screwy blood results that caused me to change where and how I applied the gel and this resulted in an accurate reading indicating I needed an increase in the amount of gel I was using. The increase in the volume of gel meant for a longer application time and a change in the way I applied it.

I hope this clarifies my experience...but as I said in the my original response YMMV.

Liz 
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Charlotte F on May 02, 2019, 05:33:27 PM
Hi Marie

I had problems with the Evorel patches and then tried gel (Oestrodose).  It really didn't work out well and I started detransitioning as my levels dropped through the floor.  After that I gave Estrodot patches a go (available privately or through the NHS) and they have revolutionised things for me.  They are tiny (the 100s are about an inch square), easily hidden on the bum, don't give me any skin reaction or the bleeding I was getting from the Evorel patches cutting my skin in hot weather or during sports.  Perhaps ask your doctor about a different brand and see if that helps

Charlotte

I am using the these patches and I also have a history of glue sensitivity. In the case of the Estrodot patches I was having difficulty getting them to stick but have found a simple solution to this and they seem to be working  just fine now and no longer coming off. I now need to wait and see if there is an improvement in my Oestrogen levels.

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

zirconia

Hi, Alice
Quote from: Alice (nym) on May 02, 2019, 03:25:48 PM
I use my wrist (alternate depending on side of body) to rub it in until nothing remains and it is practically dry.

Interesting... I assume this is the way your doctor told you to apply it as well? Did he tell you the rationale for continuing to rub until the area is practically dry?
  •  

MarieLouise1982

Hi all

I'm not really keen on the gel , if I'm honest. So I've requested to try Estrodot patches. Let's keep fingers crossed.

Thanks again everyone :)

Marie
  •  

Alice (nym)

Sorry... I am being naughty... I just listened to the conversations of other people in my local trans group and followed the instructions I was given when I got the gel.
Don't hate the hate... Start spreading the love.
  •  

LizK

Quote from: MarieLouise1982 on May 03, 2019, 02:45:18 AM
Hi all

I'm not really keen on the gel , if I'm honest. So I've requested to try Estrodot patches. Let's keep fingers crossed.

Thanks again everyone :)

Marie

I don't know if you have tried this or not but when I was having issues with sensitivity to the glue on the Patches I used I did get some improvement from cleaning the area thoroughly, applying moisturiser, making sure it was fully absorbed then applying the patch. It did not take all the irritation completely away but did make it a bit more tolerable....

Liz
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

AnneK

Quote from: MarieLouise1982 on May 02, 2019, 10:39:56 AM

???

I started on tablets, but my endo wants to switch me to gel or patches when he gets my levels worked out.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

bobbiesj

I would listen to your Dr.  Once you get good levels, get off the pills.
  •  

MarieLouise1982

They have offered me pills but I have rufused them as I don't want to start getting liver issues etc

Marie
  •