Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Reread Harry Potter: Some observations

Started by Eva_Saskatchewatch, May 06, 2019, 08:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eva_Saskatchewatch

I recently reread all seven Harry Potter books. I noticed some things that I hadn't noticed a the first times. Some of these are questions and some observations.

1. They say the Defense Against the Dark Arts job is cursed. If Voldemort can curse a name "Voldemort" then can he curse an occupation? I suspect that he cursed the job title because it's easier so if Dumbledore changed the name of the class could he have kept the teachers?

2. "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs."  This is the reverse order of their death.

3. What do trans wizards/witches do?

4. In Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge introduces "Educational Decree number 24." This bans the existence of all "Organization(s), Society(s), Team(s), Group(s), or Club(s)." Therefore, "Army (Dumbledore's Army) isn't illegal. I wonder why Dumbledore didn't argue this point in "The Centaur and the Sneak."

5. Ron is more annoying than I remember. I'm not sure why but he just gets on my nerves now.

6. This isn't in the book but J.K. Rowling tweeted that before Muggles invented plumbing, wizards simply Vanished their poop. For one thing, Vanishing isn't taught until year four. Another problem is that the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is through a sink in a toilet and it wasn't discovered by the wizards installing the toilets. Also, the toilet wasn't there until very recently but the Chamber was built at the same time as the rest of the school. In Deathly Hallows Professor McGonagall answers the question on the Ravenclaw common room door, "Where do Vanished objects go?" McGonagall responds with the correct answer, "Into nonbeing, which is to say everything," Therefore everything in the world is partially Hogwarts poop. This doesn't unsettle anyone for some reason.
"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
-Abraham Lincoln
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Eva_Saskatchewatch on May 06, 2019, 08:07:44 AM
I recently reread all seven Harry Potter books. I noticed some things that I hadn't noticed a the first times. Some of these are questions and some observations.

1. They say the Defense Against the Dark Arts job is cursed. If Voldemort can curse a name "Voldemort" then can he curse an occupation? I suspect that he cursed the job title because it's easier so if Dumbledore changed the name of the class could he have kept the teachers?

2. "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs."  This is the reverse order of their death.

3. What do trans wizards/witches do?

4. In Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge introduces "Educational Decree number 24." This bans the existence of all "Organization(s), Society(s), Team(s), Group(s), or Club(s)." Therefore, "Army (Dumbledore's Army) isn't illegal. I wonder why Dumbledore didn't argue this point in "The Centaur and the Sneak."

5. Ron is more annoying than I remember. I'm not sure why but he just gets on my nerves now.

6. This isn't in the book but J.K. Rowling tweeted that before Muggles invented plumbing, wizards simply Vanished their poop. For one thing, Vanishing isn't taught until year four. Another problem is that the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is through a sink in a toilet and it wasn't discovered by the wizards installing the toilets. Also, the toilet wasn't there until very recently but the Chamber was built at the same time as the rest of the school. In Deathly Hallows Professor McGonagall answers the question on the Ravenclaw common room door, "Where do Vanished objects go?" McGonagall responds with the correct answer, "Into nonbeing, which is to say everything," Therefore everything in the world is partially Hogwarts poop. This doesn't unsettle anyone for some reason.

I think you're full of....oh, hey! Look at the time, I have to run!  :D
  •  

Devlyn

This thread hasn't aged well, what with JKR becoming a raging bigot.  >:(
  •