News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Updating my ID

Started by Chloe2017, May 08, 2019, 04:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chloe2017

Hi Everyone,
I am hoping this reaches some Aussies who have gone through all the change of name stuff. I'm in Victoria. Just wanting reassurance that it's not too difficult to change my name for "everything". I just got my new birth certificate, taking a certified copy to work for them to update their internal records and IT systems. Next I want to look at government agencies. VicRoads, Centrelink, medicare, tax office. Then Bank, Superannuation, insurances, utilities, and real estate, followed by any other miscellaneous services I haven't thought about.
I'm pretty methodical, just interested to know of any difficulties others have faced.

Thank you,
Chloe
  •  

Alice V

Congratulations :) It's good you have all this without serious obtacles ;)
Since you interested.. I'm just at start of my path, but from info I collected I know that my country lack regulations for documents change so I can easily stumble upon controversial situation when administration refusing to change docs because I ain't post-op and doctors refusing to perform op because I didn't change docs. Everything solvable but it's just ridiculous.
"Don't try and blame me for your sins,
For the sun has burn me black.
Your hollow lives, this world in which we live -
I hurl it back."©Bruce Dickinson

My place
  •  

Cindy

Hi Chloe,

The name changes are very straight forward. I suggest getting the driving licence done first and then you can use that for all the other agencies as ID.
The things to think about. Bank - if you expect any payments in your old name try and get them cleared first or get them to pay in your new name. I had a very amusing incident while depositing an ATO cheque in my old name to the Bank Teller who had changed my name on my account. She was lovely and helpful but it created hassles for both of us. The ATO may want to change your Tax Number to a new one in your new name as it is easier for them, I don't know if this has been a hassle for anyone, it hasn't been for me.  Real Estate, this was the only hassle, changing the name on the certificate of title for the mortgage, they wanted to charge a fee. I told them to forget it and that I would do it when and if I sold up - or in my case my executor can worry about it!
Medicare was lovely, a very nice person helped me and she apologised as she hadn't done one before, I had googled the instructions and gave her a copy and she used that. We had a great chat as she did all the changes and got my new cards. Driving licence - the woman taking the picture insisted on taking a few extra pics as she explained - 'darling, men can have any crap photo, we girls deserve better' so she took a selection for us to choose from.

Other services. GP, Optician, Credit cards. Absolutely no one gave me any difficulties and I found people to be very lovely and excited for me as well.
  •  

Linde

I just applied for a new passport.  It was a little more complicated, but a very friendly county person helped me with everything!  I should have my new passport in my hands in about 4 weeks; all with my new name and gender marker on it!

I am doing the same with my German passport (I am a dual citizen).  I am listing every step for this in the German language section of this forum, including my correspondence with the Consular General in Miami.  So, if you are German, go to the German section here at Susan's and get a guideline how to go about it!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

LizK

I would do your medicare as a priority as once you have that then the all medical agencies "have" to change your name as it now becomes the only way they can get paid. They have to not only have the correct numbers but corresponding names as it is set pit on your medicare card.

My experience is the same as Cindy's and it was all very straight forward. I did mine about 3 years ago and am still finding things that I forgot....not much now but occasionally something will change.

Regards

Liz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

AngelaJade

I started the process of updating my name and gender about 4 months ago, which has mostly gone well but some government agencies can be really slow.

After receiving my change of name and recognised details certificates just before Christmas last year, I started getting ready for the changes. I started with Medicare, then my drivers licence and then submitted the change of name and gender for my passport (which is free if your passport is current and you are transitioning).

Changing details with superannuation, toll-way accounts, PayPal etc all require sending letters with JP certified copies of your change of name cert.

Issues you can have:
After changing my name successfully, some letters arrive addressed "Mr Angela..." so frustrating and can be difficult to fix.
The ATO still haven't updated my gender on their system, after 3 months and two letters to them
Some banks can be less than friendly..
PayPal.. was easier to cancel my account and open a new one in my new name.
Some online accounts are easier to cancel and open a new account in your new name also

Have a great day,
Ang..
  •  

Linde

Quote from: AngelaJade on May 15, 2019, 01:39:42 AM

PayPal.. was easier to cancel my account and open a new one in my new name.
Some online accounts are easier to cancel and open a new account in your new name also

Have a great day,
Ang..
PayPal was really easy to change for me.  I just did send them a copy of my court judgement, and a copy of my ne ID, and the change went through like nothing
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•