Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Voice Dysphoria

Started by tuckz0r, May 10, 2019, 08:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuckz0r

I just recently realized I'm a trans guy. I'm 5'2 and kind of babyfaced, but that doesn't bother me too much. What does bother me, however, is my voice. I can't help but feel a little ridiculous saying "I'm a man" in what feels like a squeaky little girl's voice. Can anyone offer any advice on how to make a pre-T voice sound at least a little more convincing?
  •  

Maid Marion

It isn't just the pitch, but the way you modulate your voice. Women modulate their voices way more than men.  There are online resources for MtF training.  There may be similar resources for FtM.  I tend to instinctively end my sentences with a rising pitch, which is rather feminine.  And not something that a lot of MtFs can do.
  •  

Linde

Quote from: tuckz0r on May 10, 2019, 08:09:46 PM
I just recently realized I'm a trans guy. I'm 5'2 and kind of babyfaced, but that doesn't bother me too much. What does bother me, however, is my voice. I can't help but feel a little ridiculous saying "I'm a man" in what feels like a squeaky little girl's voice. Can anyone offer any advice on how to make a pre-T voice sound at least a little more convincing?
There are quite a few youtube videos out there on voice training, I don't know how many are doing FtM stuff, you would have to do a little searching.
But it is not only the frequency that makes you sound like a certain gender, it is the way how you speak!  I have a rather high frequency voice, so high in fact that I just could start to talk like a woman.
But when I was still presenting as a male, nobody would have had any doubt whether a man was talking!

I would recommend that you observe guys well, maybe watch movies with rel macho guys, and see how they tend to talk.  You also can train your voice to sound lower, if you move the resonance down into your chest.  When you put your hand on the top of you chest, just under the neck, you can feel if your chest is doing its voice lowering job.  If that area vibrates when you talk, you have arrived!

Good luck!
Linde
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Dena

The process involves using your chest voice. This is the same process that Karen Carpenter used it most of her songs so while it will push you lower, you may still sound like a male before puberty. To do this, you need to relax your neck muscles just above your larynx when you speak. If done properly, you larynx will not move up when you speak. You can check this by lightly placing your fingers on your larynx and feeling the movement when you speak. I have worked with other FTMS on this so if you have any questions, let me know.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •