Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

First time going for mani-pedi

Started by HappyMoni, May 10, 2019, 08:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMoni

Is that how you spell it? Yes, my son is getting married Monday. We are going for a group mani-pedi. Anything I should know? I want to pay for the group. Any thoughts on tipping? Do they have to file the nails? I hate the sensation of having my nails filed. I know I'm a weirdo, so I'll save you the comment. It's just a 'thing.' I'm so excited though. First time for professional nails and makeup. Also love my dress. Makes me want to break out in song, "Girls just want to have fun-un..."
Moni

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Wow that's wonderful news Moni, congrats to your family, may the wedding be fabulous and enjoyable !

I can't offer much info on mani pedi, but wanted to respond to your announcement

Hugs

Cynthia
  •  

jkredman

OK I've done the Pedi.

1) yes Nails will be filed, cuticles will be cleaned / some excess cuticle skin maybe removed.  Calouses may be filed some as part of the Pedi.

Then you get have a professional polish job which probably will consist of your chosen color and a second clear protectant.

3) I tip 20% but that is personal preference.  You'll need to decide what you feel is appropriate.

Prepare to enjoy a little pampering.  For me it's very relaxing.

OH; the spa Patty & I used also provides a glass of wine.

Have fun with it and congratulations on your son's wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kate
  •  

AnneK

I've been getting a mani-pedi regularly for years.  In fact, I'll be going tomorrow.  Yes, your nails will be filed.  I don't think they can do it any other way.  BTW, those girls are sadists!  If your feet are the least bit ticklish, they'll have you begging for mercy!   ;) :D :D :D
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Linde

I hope you have fun!  I love a nice pedicure, manicure is OK for me, but I am pretty good myself to do my fingers.
I dislike it very much, too, to get my nails filed, but I live through it because that makes them nice and smooth!.
I tip around 20% if the job is well done.

I hope you have lots of fun with your family!

I also hope you have a nice wedding of your son.
My son will get married end of June.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

TonyaW

They will cut trim and file your nails if need be. I'd think you could ask them not to, you're paying. 

I like the manicure ok but generally don't unless I'm getting the gels. Gels last 2 weeks easy but are a pain to get off so only do that when I don't want to have to worry about them for a week at least.

Pedicures I've been doing since before transitioning, clear coat only then. I've had some problem toenails so its been helpful to have someone that knows how cut them  so it gets done right.

So enjoy it, it's fun. And have a great time at the wedding

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
  •  

LizK

Ok Sister we are both off on a first..i was given a voucher at Xmass to have my nails done and I am getting them this week...I'm game if you are...there is a first time for everything...maybe its a bit like getting your hair done for the first time I could never understand the fuss until you have  " had your hair done" so maybe its going to be one of those experiences... And for the record Darlink!! I don't find you that weird...or maybe its just that over the years I have gotten used to you. LOL  ;D ;D ;D
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

HappyMoni

Thank you wonderful ladies, I loved your words of wisdom and your well wishes. I am calm now thanks to you. I am so proud of my son, both sons actually. They have grown two be very kind and empathetic young men. I love them with all my heart.

Special shout out to a special someone who doesn't think I'm 'that weird.' I love it! Also, the Darlink comment made be think of Boris Bentinoff and Natasha, was it? You made me laugh.

I never do fingernails because they grow so darn fast. I kind of forgot about that, but for this occasion, I'll do it. Was thinking red for toes and pink for fingers. Anything dark on fingers makes my hands look big. Guess I am weird after all.

Hugs to you all!

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

HappyMoni

Well, it's done and in the books. It was good but could have been nicer. The person would did the pedicure looked really angry or upset about something. She kept looking to the right side, never looking at me or talking. I didn't understand her language, but I know expressions. At one point she got really hot water on my leg. Another lady did my manicure and was more pleasant. I think I'd do it again, maybe somewhere else though. Can't say that I would be happy working on someone's feet but it kinda is her job.

]
  •  

AnneK

Glad to hear you survived the sadists!   ;)

As in any other business, some are better than others and even within a salon one person may be better than others.  I had both a mani and pedi yesterday too, though I wasn't going to a wedding.   ;)

I've been going for so long and so often that I can't imagine going without.  As for that person not talking, I've noticed that just about everyone who works in the lower price salons is Vietnamese, with varying levels of fluency in English, which affects how well they can communicate.  At the salon I go to, there was one person who I did not like.  Apparently, I wasn't the only one who felt that and she was fired for attitude.  If she'd been there much longer and I got her again, I would have asked for someone else.

I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

Linde

Quote from: AnneK on May 12, 2019, 12:17:34 PM

I've been going for so long and so often that I can't imagine going without.  As for that person not talking, I've noticed that just about everyone who works in the lower price salons is Vietnamese, with varying levels of fluency in English, which affects how well they can communicate.
It seems to be the case that this "market" is in the hands of Vietnamese (or at least east Asian) people.  This was the case up north in western Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota, and is also the case her ein south western Florida.

I have no idea why it is that way?
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

AnneK

Quote from: Dietlind on May 12, 2019, 01:55:46 PM
I have no idea why it is that way?

My understanding is they're very big on that sort of thing.  So, I suppose it's a very common trade there.  I haven't met one yet that wasn't born in Vietnam.  Higher priced salons do not seem to have this situation.  For example, the place where I went for laser also offered manicures and pedicures, but at a much higher price than I pay.  I didn't ever see a Vietnamese person working there.

•