News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Just finished the 3 episodes of "Butterfly" on Hulu

Started by Ricki Wright, May 14, 2019, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricki Wright

Hello all,

Allow me to start with Butterfly is not for everyone. It took me 4 days to get through all 3 of the currently posted shows. One of those days was 10 minute sections separated by several hours.

The show is about Maxine, who was AMAB, her unsupportive macho father, and a very supportive sister and mother, and a very outspoken disapproving grandmother who constantly misgenders Maxine. It touches on going to school as a girl, trying to get puberty blockers, suicide, cutting (multiple places), and dealing with bureaucratic gatekeepers. Buckle up: it's going to be a hellofa ride.

I would like to point out that this show so far would be an excellent visual aid for those cis people who don't quite get that we are not trans because it is the "in" thing to do, or to get attention. It is who we are, and even with all the uphill struggle to be allowed to do so, it still hurts less than not living as ourselves.

If anyone else has seen the show, I would love to hear your thoughts about it.

Cheers,

Ricki
At 5 I forgot who I am. Fortunately, who I am protected me all these years until I remembered. Whatever else happens, I will live the rest of my life whole.
My story: https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244130.0.html
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

herekitten

I started watching it last night.  Thank you for the mention of it.  So far, I am really enjoying it. My husband actually watched it with me and I was surprised when he asked me if I ever experienced that type of conflict with self or family. How interesting because he's never asked me that in all one million years of knowing him. How crazy is that??

So far really loving the tale of Maxine. At times, I do relate to what she is going through and the tough row her mother is experiencing. I feel for the sister who somehow feeling ignored -- ugh life can be so twisted at times.  Can't wait to see how the season culminates.  Good thing for Maxine she is not state side because knowing kids, they would twist her name of Maxi and add 'pad' in there. I know because we did that to my sister. LOL :D 

Thank you for sharing that series!
It is the lives we encounter that make life worth living. - Guy De Maupassant
  •  

Ricki Wright

@herekitten

It was my pleasure. I am glad it is opening dialog in your life! ;)

Ricki
At 5 I forgot who I am. Fortunately, who I am protected me all these years until I remembered. Whatever else happens, I will live the rest of my life whole.
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

MaryT

I watched the series last year. 

I wish that there had been more episodes.  Even in the first episode, Maxine was obviously allowed by her mother to express her feminine side while at home.  It would have been nice to have seen more of how their relationship evolved to that stage.  Non-trans viewers in particular would be curious about that.

To be honest, and to my shame, I felt envy for Maxine, even though her road through life was far from free of bumps.  Even in the "prequel" scene in which her loving, but not understanding, father, lashes out when Maxine talks back, she was obviously wearing female clothes in her home.  I wish that my parents had been so understanding.

The production of the series reflects that in Western countries, more and more trans people are transitioning in childhood  (it was always common in, e.g., Thailand).  Some Western trans women, who transitioned in their teens many years ago, regard themselves as innately different to trans women of similar age who transitioned when older.  If they are right, the number of innately different trans females must be growing exponentially.

•  

Ricki Wright

Quote from: MaryT on May 20, 2019, 02:38:37 PM
I watched the series last year. 

I wish that there had been more episodes.  Even in the first episode, Maxine was obviously allowed by her mother to express her feminine side while at home.  It would have been nice to have seen more of how their relationship evolved to that stage.  Non-trans viewers in particular would be curious about that.

To be honest, and to my shame, I felt envy for Maxine, even though her road through life was far from free of bumps.  Even in the "prequel" scene in which her loving, but not understanding, father, lashes out when Maxine talks back, she was obviously wearing female clothes in her home.  I wish that my parents had been so understanding.

The production of the series reflects that in Western countries, more and more trans people are transitioning in childhood  (it was always common in, e.g., Thailand).  Some Western trans women, who transitioned in their teens many years ago, regard themselves as innately different to trans women of similar age who transitioned when older.  If they are right, the number of innately different trans females must be growing exponentially.

I suspect that it is due to information availability, a culture shift, and a change in status in the DSM no longer classifying GD as a disorder.

In my case, I was able to find out what gender dysphoria was really easily once I broke thru the mental block put into place when I was 5.
Day to day society in a lot of places are if not entirely understanding, are non hostile at least.
No longer being classified as a mental disorder means trans people will not be shipped off to be "fixed" as often.

Just celebrated my 6 month mark. Looking forward to the next 61 years as ME! I decided a long time ago I would live to 113.

Ricki
HRT 07Nov18
  •  

Emma1017

Thank you Ricki for the great recommendation.  I just watched the first two episodes.  It really hit me.  I will watch the third one tonight.

I can recommend the Netflix movie "Girl" about a trans girl who is struggling with ballet and gender dysphoria.  That was also excellent.
  •  

Ricki Wright

Quote from: Emma1017 on May 22, 2019, 01:41:05 PM
Thank you Ricki for the great recommendation.  I just watched the first two episodes.  It really hit me.  I will watch the third one tonight.

I can recommend the Netflix movie "Girl" about a trans girl who is struggling with ballet and gender dysphoria.  That was also excellent.

I started watching that and got distracted. Thank you for reminding me!

Hugs,

Ricki
HRT 07Nov18
  •