Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Is it possible to change your name while living in a different state? (PA)

Started by jryd, May 15, 2019, 04:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jryd

sorry if this is the wrong forum, but idk where else to look or ask

I was born in/currently live in Pennsylvania. After quitting my job I've decided within the next couple of months I'm moving west to vegas with a sister and start anew (more opportunities there, done with living in such a small town and dealing with small town life, plus my sister hasn't seen me in 12 years, started hrt in 2014 so im sure I'll look way different to her lol). I can't wait because my sister and I are on somewhat of a time frame with me moving over there (getting living arrangements settled, and dealing with her family as well). And I believe in PA it would take months to complete the process. So I didn't want to start the process, find out it would take months, and push back me moving.

What I want to know is, is it possible for me to change my name while living in vegas. I've been lurking and I saw someone said they could hire a lawyer to represent them (but idk what state it was and it was also 7 years ago).

I'm not sure what options I have, because PA doesn't have much info on it other than how to do it in person.

Whatever info you guys have is appreciated thank you.
  •  

Linde

If you are a registered resident of a state, it would be the state you change your name in!
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

V M

Hi jryd  :icon_wave:

Welcome to Susan's Place  :)  Glad to have you here, join on in the fun

How about stopping by our Introductions Forum and introducing yourself so more folks can get to know you a bit better  ;)

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that we offer to all new members to help them along

Things that you should read

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: jryd on May 15, 2019, 04:06:51 PM

I was born in/currently live in Pennsylvania. After quitting my job I've decided within the next couple of months I'm moving west to vegas with a sister and start anew (more opportunities there, done with living in such a small town and dealing with small town life, plus my sister hasn't seen me in 12 years, started hrt in 2014 so im sure I'll look way different to her lol). I can't wait because my sister and I are on somewhat of a time frame with me moving over there (getting living arrangements settled, and dealing with her family as well). And I believe in PA it would take months to complete the process. So I didn't want to start the process, find out it would take months, and push back me moving.

What I want to know is, is it possible for me to change my name while living in vegas. I've been lurking and I saw someone said they could hire a lawyer to represent them (but idk what state it was and it was also 7 years ago).

I'm not sure what options I have, because PA doesn't have much info on it other than how to do it in person.

@jryd   
Dear Jyrd
    Greetings, it is wonderful that you have become a member here and that you have started posting in the Forums.

As you continue to post on the forums you will be able to exchange thoughts and comments with others that are experiencing many of the same things that you are.   I expect that you will be getting many members offering their thoughts and suggestions as you continue to post here. 

For sure this is the right place for you to be to find out what others may have to say that may have been in your circumstances and with your questions and concerns.
    There are a lot of members here that will be able to identify with your situation and as you continue to feel free to share with all of us.

I see that our lovely member  @V M  has already welcomed you but please allow me to also warmly WELCOME you to Susan's Place
You will find this a safe and friendly place to share with others and to read about others similar trials, tribulations, and successes.

As you are certainly aware you can share with others and involve yourself with some give and take with other like-minded members.  When frustrated or if you have successes you can share it here if you wish and receive support from others and offer support to others. ....
     ***There is a very good chance that you might find that you will make some new like-minded friends here. 

Please come in and continue to be involved at your own pace.

Attached near at the end of  V M's  message are important and informative LINKS that will help you to navigate around the Forums and will allow you to enjoy the features here.     
Please look closely at the LINKS in RED, answers are there to many questions that new members ask.

Again, Welcome to Susan's Place.
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@jryd 
Oh, and another thing Jryd...
Per the suggestion by our lovely  @V M  in her Welcome Message to you, if you can, please plan to write a brief introduction in the Introductions Forum so that other members will be aware of your arrival... therefore you will be able to share your thoughts with more members here.

Thank you again for joining Susan's Place and being involved in the Forums here.
Best wishes to you,
Danielle

NOTE: Now after all of this Greeting Stuff I will you have your thread back so that the exchange of conversation can continue.
Other members here will certainly be along to give you their comments and suggestions that you may be seeking
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: jryd on May 15, 2019, 04:06:51 PM

It doesn't look like it. https://www.susans.org/wiki/Changing_legal_name_in_the_US

Edit to add: I did my name change in Massachusetts and I believe it was 99 days from application to recieving the court order in the mail.
  •  

jryd

@Linde so if i got my residency in nevada, I could get my name changed there instead of doing it prior to me leaving PA?
@Devlyn damn, well thank you. i may have to delay my move then

sorry im not sure how to properly @ people
  •  

Colleen_definitely

If you become a resident of Nevada you can change your name there. It doesn't have anything to do with where your were born or anything like that. All that matters is that your do the name change where you live.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Linde

Quote from: jryd on May 15, 2019, 06:13:33 PM
@Linde so if i got my residency in nevada, I could get my name changed there instead of doing it prior to me leaving PA?
@Devlyn damn, well thank you. i may have to delay my move then

sorry im not sure how to properly @ people
I was born in Germany, lived half of my life in Minnesconsin, and live now in Florida.  I did my legal name change in Florida.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

StacyRenee

Most states require 3 months to establish residency, some 6 months. After established, you file your name change in the courts with that state. Lawyers aren't necessary, but can make the process easier. After legal name change is done, then you can see about changing your birth certificate from PA.

Side note, once your gotten a driver's license with Real ID, you don't need to show all of the proof required again. I got my Real ID (indicated by a star in a circle) then changed my name. I didn't need to have a matching birth certificate, just the court ordered name change.

Gender marker for driver's license and birth certificate requirements vary by state. I recommend the website for NCTE for each state's requirements.

https://transequality.org/documents

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

•  

itsApril

Good morning, jryd!

This guidance sheet from the Nevada State Legislature may be helpful regarding Nevada requirements:

"LEGAL RESIDENCE
Unless otherwise required by a specific statute, NRS 10.155 provides that the legal residence of a person in Nevada is that place where the person has been physically present within the state during the period for which residency is claimed. Legal residence starts on the day that such actual physical presence begins. If a person leaves the jurisdiction of his or her residence with the intention, in good faith, of returning without delay and continuing his or her residence, the time of absence is not considered in determining the fact of residence."

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/Division/Research/Publications/Factsheets/Residency.pdf

So it looks like the critical factors in determining resident status are (1) your presence in the state, and (2) your good faith intention to live and remain there.  Brief absences don't matter.

The fact sheet (linked above) specifies some time limits for certain purposes not at issue in your situation - like a six-week requirement for filing for divorce.

If the process is lengthy in Pennsylvania, it seems like you might want to just make the move and then change your name when you get to Nevada.
-April
  •  

jryd

Thank you all so much for takin the time to answer me, I appreciate your answers and guidance. Definitely helped me with the decision Im going to make.
  •