Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Name Change Paperwork returned without Court Date etc?

Started by Sabrina Rei, May 15, 2019, 07:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabrina Rei

Hi all,

I need the benefit of your experience urgently. I'm in absolute panic mode.

I've filed my name change paperwork in the State of New Jersey in the US including a form called "Order Fixing Date of Hearing." Today I received a self addressed stamp envelope containing copies of the forms with the docket number added but in the "DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS LINE COURT WILL COMPLETE" area there's no new information. no court date, no indication of what news paper I should inform. That section is still blank.

Is this normal? it seems like they messed up because I have no idea what the next step is.

HELP! 

Devlyn

In Massachusetts they're done administratively, I got my court order in the mail without ever being notified of anything.
  •  

itsApril

Quote from: Devlyn on May 15, 2019, 07:39:11 PM
In Massachusetts they're done administratively, I got my court order in the mail without ever being notified of anything.

Ditto for California.  Due to legislative advances here in the past several years, routine name and gender marker changes no longer require court hearings.  You have the right to request a hearing if you want one for some reason.  But most are handled administratively by the court's business office, and you just get the final order in the mail.  It's a bureaucratic process, of course, so it often takes a few weeks.

Perhaps New Jersey has done something similar.  If you're not sure what's going on, call the clerk (name and contact is usually on the paperwork) or the court's business office and ask if a hearing is required.
-April
  •  

Gina P

Quote from: Sabrina Rei on May 15, 2019, 07:24:28 PMHi all,

I need the benefit of your experience urgently. I'm in absolute panic mode.

I've filed my name change paperwork in the State of New Jersey in the US including a form called "Order Fixing Date of Hearing." Today I received a self addressed stamp envelope containing copies of the forms with the docket number added but in the "DO NOT WRITE BELOW THIS LINE COURT WILL COMPLETE" area there's no new information. no court date, no indication of what news paper I should inform. That section is still blank.

Is this normal? it seems like they messed up because I have no idea what the next step is.

HELP! 
I know this is an old post but the same thing happened to me recently. State house would not recognize it. County said this is ok and normal, but its not!! I had to wait another 3 months to get another date with the date filled in by the court. Make sure the date is filled in!!!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee