Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

24 hour depressions

Started by AutumnGlory, May 18, 2019, 09:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutumnGlory

Since the process of transition began many years ago, i suffered severe bouts of 'depression', in inverted commas because it is not classic depression.  In the early days, these attacks would last several days, a very deep and morbid state in which I contemplated and later planned suicide. 

The attacks moderated as I progressed through into Life 2, but they didn't, and haven't, gone away.  Now they last 24 hours, they're triggered by, as far as I can see, a post-happy adrenaline drop, worsening weather and a gap in the diary.  When all three coincide, I fall into the hole.

I cannot think positively when in the episode, I cannot motivate myself, and I can do little to escape.  At some point, usually about 24 hours later, sometimes as little as 8 or as much as 48, the mood passes, and often, it lifts almost instantaneously.  One moment, i'm depressed, thee next, it's like the sun has come out and i'm OK.

My doctor and my psychologist agree that it isn't clinical depression but neither know what it is.  I've fiddled with the dose of estradiol, but the problem persists at all dose levels.  It persists when my life is going really well as well as really badly.  I'm losing one day every ten, on average, to it, which is frustrating, and not easy for my husband to deal with.

Occasionally, there have been odd affects that have in the end made me wonder if it is some form of migraine.  The odd things could have been olfactory or aural aura; things all tasting the same, all smelling the same.  Sometimes, extreme nausea when a little stressed, by travel and by being in a group of people I don't know or am uncomfortable with, usually. 

Given how odd it is, and how it started with transition, I'm wondering f anyone here has any ideas what it might be?
  •  

Dena

I am not a doctor so what I say is only guesswork. What you're describing sounds a little like bipolar disorder. It's known for mood swings where you alternate between very happy and very sad. People with the condition often have a difficult time being diagnosed but there are medications that will level out the mood swings.

If this hasn't been discussed between you and your doctor, you might want to bring it up and see if your symptoms are enough to make a diagnosis.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

AutumnGlory

Quote from: Dena on May 18, 2019, 09:39:46 AM
I am not a doctor so what I say is only guesswork. What you're describing sounds a little like bipolar disorder. It's known for mood swings where you alternate between very happy and very sad. People with the condition often have a difficult time being diagnosed but there are medications that will level out the mood swings.

If this hasn't been discussed between you and your doctor, you might want to bring it up and see if your symptoms are enough to make a diagnosis.

I'm sorry, i should have said, the doc ruled this out at a stroke, too.  i'd got around to thinking that a bit of lithium might be great, but he said, no, it isn't bipolar.
  •  

Dena

If it's not bipolar, that makes it a bit more difficult to figure out. I would start by looking at everything in my life. Activities, food, sun exposure, sleeping and anything else that might change from your day to day pattern. I have migraine headaches and as best as I can determine, they are cause by having a few day where I might be an hour or two short on sleep. Mono sodium glutamate has cause people problem and who would have though that eating Chinese could cause health issues. Sunlight exposure causes sessional affected disorder. The list is endless but you might be one of the few who has to watch out for something in your life that the rest of us don't have to worry about.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •