Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

New Dress and Snap chat

Started by Anastasia, May 19, 2019, 08:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

I had a nice day shopping for a dress. I spent a while trying on a number of dresses at several stores. The sales women  were all very nice and helpful. Most of the other customers were either ignoring this man trying on dresses or were helpful. Only one woman made any sort of negative comment. ( "I can't believe this, and it happened to me" as we bumped into each other in the fitting room). I can't really blame her, I'm sure I was a bit of a surprise.

Now that I have overcome my fear of shopping for women's clothes, I have had mostly good experiences. I now regret all the money I wasted buying clothes that don't fit and time wasted returning them (sometimes). And the sales women have useful suggestions! When I first tried buying women's clothes in the 1980s, the sales women were very cold and rude to me. Guess this is what kept me from trying for too long. The younger women are almost always helpful. Guess there has been a true, deep change in society. It will just take a generation to become the norm.

Anyway, here is a picture of me in my new dress. All I need now is a chance to wear it! While I wear feminine clothes and light make-up shopping, I haven't worn worn a dress in public.

https://imgur.com/82f2Mv9

Yes, I used the snap-chat filter for the picture. I'm shocked- It makes me almost passable to a near sighted person! I do have a couple of questions about snap chat if anybody is familiar with it ( I just downloaded it a couple of days ago). Is the change possible (or close) with make up (my skills are non-existent)? Why do the other filters include make-up on me? Does it assume women are the most likely to use cat ear filters or is it reading my face as possibly female (unlikely)? and lastly- how do I change the timer delay? I can pull up 1-10 and infinity, but it doesn't affect the timer.

Thanks everybody for listening to me. It seems like this is the kind of post I tend to make, but I have nobody IRL to share a good day as the whole me with! Love Ya'll!   :D
  •  

Maid Marion

Hi Anastasia,

Good to hear you had nice day of shopping!  And coming home with a blue dress! 

Marion
  •  

NancyBalik

Anastasia, You, and the dress, are very pretty. Of course we deserve to be treated respectfully, and I am glad that you were. I think that you are right that attitudes are becoming more accepting in many stores. I have found that Dress Barn is a good place, but of course (despite company policy) it depends on the particular SA on duty. It takes some bravery and belief in ourselves to get going shopping. Good for you! Nancy
  •  

Wendi

Quote from: Anastasia on May 19, 2019, 08:30:48 PM
   I had a nice day shopping for a dress. I spent a while trying on a number of dresses at several stores. The sales women  were all very nice and helpful. Most of the other customers were either ignoring this man trying on dresses or were helpful. Only one woman made any sort of negative comment. ( "I can't believe this, and it happened to me" as we bumped into each other in the fitting room). I can't really blame her, I'm sure I was a bit of a surprise.

Now that I have overcome my fear of shopping for women's clothes, I have had mostly good experiences. I now regret all the money I wasted buying clothes that don't fit and time wasted returning them (sometimes). And the sales women have useful suggestions! When I first tried buying women's clothes in the 1980s, the sales women were very cold and rude to me. Guess this is what kept me from trying for too long. The younger women are almost always helpful. Guess there has been a true, deep change in society. It will just take a generation to become the norm.

Anyway, here is a picture of me in my new dress. All I need now is a chance to wear it! While I wear feminine clothes and light make-up shopping, I haven't worn worn a dress in public.

https://imgur.com/82f2Mv9

Yes, I used the snap-chat filter for the picture. I'm shocked- It makes me almost passable to a near sighted person! I do have a couple of questions about snap chat if anybody is familiar with it ( I just downloaded it a couple of days ago). Is the change possible (or close) with make up (my skills are non-existent)? Why do the other filters include make-up on me? Does it assume women are the most likely to use cat ear filters or is it reading my face as possibly female (unlikely)? and lastly- how do I change the timer delay? I can pull up 1-10 and infinity, but it doesn't affect the timer.

Thanks everybody for listening to me. It seems like this is the kind of post I tend to make, but I have nobody IRL to share a good day as the whole me with! Love Ya'll!   :D
You look great in that dress. I've found the sales associates are much more sensitive to our needs in the last couple of years which is really good. Rarely have I come across an associate that hasn't been helpful and pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

•  

HappyMoni

Very pretty! Love the strength you showed. Love it!
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Anjanette Miranda

You look very beautiful in that dress.
  •  

Anastasia

Quote from: Maid Marion on May 19, 2019, 09:25:23 PM
Hi Anastasia,

Good to hear you had nice day of shopping!  And coming home with a blue dress! 

Marion
Quote from: Anjanette Miranda on May 21, 2019, 09:17:31 AM
You look very beautiful in that dress.

Thank you so much. I really loved it when I tried it on.

Quote from: Wendi on May 20, 2019, 08:29:45 PM
You look great in that dress. I've found the sales associates are much more sensitive to our needs in the last couple of years which is really good. Rarely have I come across an associate that hasn't been helpful and pleasant.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote from: HappyMoni on May 20, 2019, 08:58:39 PM
Very pretty! Love the strength you showed. Love it!
Quote from: NancyBalik on May 20, 2019, 06:31:02 AM
Anastasia, You, and the dress, are very pretty. Of course we deserve to be treated respectfully, and I am glad that you were. I think that you are right that attitudes are becoming more accepting in many stores. I have found that Dress Barn is a good place, but of course (despite company policy) it depends on the particular SA on duty. It takes some bravery and belief in ourselves to get going shopping. Good for you! Nancy

I have found now that I have gotten over my fear of really shopping for women's clothes, it is not so scary, and can be a lot of fun. The change in attitude from the sales women makes a difference. I was talking to a sales woman one time and she said that the men who come in for make-up are a lot more fun to help than most of the women. Apparently, we get more excited when something works well, and it makes it fun for her as well. She told me that on several occasions, she has helped a man with a simple item, but he was so into it that she has given complete make-overs.

Yes, the times are changing, but I know I will never be able to peacefully wear my dress out to dinner. The 20 somethings can look forward to that, in most places, I think and hope.
  •