Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How do you crack an egg?

Started by Cindy, May 20, 2019, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cindy

My apologies if this is a 'fluff' post but...... I was cooking lunch and my friend said... that's a weird way to crack an egg. I got a bit upset to be honest.

I always hit the side of the egg with a knife blade and part the shell with my fingers. I do so to avoid splitting the yolk and getting eggshell into the mix.

So, how do you crack and egg and why.

•  

LizK

Usually on the side of the pan or bowl...but then I usually end up having to fish the egg shell out of the egg...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Kirsteneklund7

When I cook eggs for my young sons, I crack on the side of the pan and pry apart with fingers.
Often use the knife method as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

Vethrvolnir

Hit it on edge of bowl or cup then pull apart with fingers. Never tried the knife method.
Mostly human
  •  

Dena

On a flat surface. It keeps you from driving egg fragments into the egg and helps to avoid crunchy surprises. If you get a fragment it will be large and easy to find where as sharp edges make small fragments. This is something I picked up from a cooking show.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Jessica

Quote from: Dena on May 20, 2019, 08:07:39 AM
On a flat surface. It keeps you from driving egg fragments into the egg and helps to avoid crunchy surprises. If you get a fragment it will be large and easy to find where as sharp edges make small fragments. This is something I picked up from a cooking show.

This is the way I do it, maybe after watching that same cooking show.  I previously used the edge of the bowl, but as Dena points out, it can drive a shell inward. 

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Perry

I'm in the same camp as @Dena and @Jessica. Crack it on a flat surface then pry it apart and you reduce the risk of contaminating the egg with the shell and any bacteria it may possess. I learned this method from my favorite TV chef/teacher, Jacques Pepin.
Integrity has no need of rules.  -Albert Camus

•  

Haley Conner

I do it one handed, I guess because it makes it look as though I know what I'm doing. 
  •  

Colleen_definitely

With a large caliber handgun like a good American.

But seriously I'm in the "crack it on a flat surface" group.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •  

Devlyn

Another Flat Surface groupie here.  ;D

I also picked up a good tip from a cooking show, crack it into a small glass bowl and check for shell fragments, then put in a bigger bowl with the other eggs.
  •  

Haley Conner

I have also been doing that lately.  I don't think any method completely eliminates shell fragments.
  •  

Bea1968

I seem to be a little different, I crack it on the corner of the counter next to my stove.  Pans, bowls and such are unstable.  I prefer something pretty solid.  I rarely break a yolk and in the unlikely event of a shell fragment landing in the pan, I use a piece of the shell to scoop the fragment out.  Works every time. 
  •  

Lisa89125

I use a knife to crack and then pull apart the egg with my fingers.

Lisa

"My inner self knows better than my outer self my true gender"

Not yet quite ready to post my real self.
  •  

Gertrude

Chickens have such a poor diet, at least where Frys gets their eggs that they crack way too easy. It's better to use a flat surface though.
  •  

davina61

Cindy I use a knife as well or the edge of bowl if using one.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Lexxi

I guess I'm different than everyone here. I always crack my egg against another egg. I suppose that could be considered another flat surface though. But hey it works for me. I rarely ever get shell chips in the good part. Once I'm down to the last egg I crack it on the side of the skillet.

I picked up that method from a friend of mine who watches cooking shows all the time. I have no idea if he got it from one of them or that's just the way his mom taught him. Give it a try some time and see how it works for you.
Finally started the process of becoming who I really am on the inside! 5/20/19
  •  

Jessica_K

Knife like Cindy and Lisa

Jessica
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

Devlyn

Quote from: LexxiMTF on May 20, 2019, 03:05:50 PM
I guess I'm different than everyone here. I always crack my egg against another egg. I suppose that could be considered another flat surface though. But hey it works for me. I rarely ever get shell chips in the good part. Once I'm down to the last egg I crack it on the side of the skillet.

I picked up that method from a friend of mine who watches cooking shows all the time. I have no idea if he got it from one of them or that's just the way his mom taught him. Give it a try some time and see how it works for you.

That's what the Flat-earthers want us to believe.  :laugh:
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Devlyn on May 20, 2019, 04:05:45 PM
That's what the Flat-earthers want us to believe.  :laugh:

It's pretty entertaining to watch....[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Colleen_definitely

Quote from: Gertrude on May 20, 2019, 02:31:56 PM
Chickens have such a poor diet, at least where Frys gets their eggs that they crack way too easy. It's better to use a flat surface though.

I've noticed that with supermarket eggs.  It really makes cracking them cleanly a bit of a challenge at times.  I need to find another source of home grown eggs.
As our ashes turn to dust, we shine like stars...
  •