Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Debating a Second Round of FFS

Started by Fayl, May 22, 2019, 02:23:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayl

Hi everyone! New to the forums but from what I've read everyone seems quite helpful!

So quick background, almost 3 years ago I had a round of FFS with Dr. Toby Mayer in Beverly Hills. While there I had a Hairline Forehead Lift/Hairline Lowering/Orbital Bony Contouring, Rhinoplasty w/ Cartilage Grafts, and a Chin Reduction and Contour. Outside of some lengthy swelling I had minimal complications. Result wise there certainly was enough subtle differences and I haven't been sir'd in years.

I recently talked with Dr. Mayer and here's what he recommend for a second round: a Subnasal Lip Lift w/ Fat Augmentation, a handful of Hair Micrografts (covering up the pale scar in my hairline), a Thyroid Cartilage Shave, and a minor Rhino revision (smoothing out a bump round one).

Could just be dysphoria talking but I still have lots of discomfort taking photos or cutting my bangs, and I was honestly looking for a more substantial change. I've been researching other surgeons like Dr. Deschamps-Braly for potentially more extensive work. Anyone have thoughts on the smaller list Dr. Mayer suggested vs. looking elsewhere? Current photos for ref:

Typical work day with light makeup:

And sans makeup, glasses, and hair out of the way (ignore the red birthmark on the right side!):

Thanks!
  •  

Quinn

Fayl  welcome to Susan's
There was not a pic to look at but have you consulted with another FFS surgeon? I recently had a consult with Toby Mayer and also a few months before with Kyle Keojampa can tell you that they both had a different opinion on their approach for my FFS.
I have a consult with Harrison Lee coming up soon also all three of them are fairly close by each other
Even if you don't go with someone else it helps to get another opinion and maybe get some information you may not have thought of
Best of Luck
  •  

Fayl

Hey Quinn! Thanks for the info I'll take a look at Lee. Do you have any opinions on Kyle Keojampa?

Also are my images working now? I swapped to imgur instead of google drive.
  •  

Quinn

Hi Fayl,
yes images up and your looking great
just had a consult with Mayer a few weeks ago and one of the things I wanted to do for me (there was a long list) was reduce the  difference from where my nose meet between eyes and put in some graphs so the slope is starts higher and is not so drastic, he said if the top of my nose starts higher up it is more feminine than mine , the drastic difference in mine also accentuates my brow bossing making my profile more male. But I have not had any FFS yet and im a lot older than you are .
I always hate to comment on these because if I mention something my untrained sees and is only my opinion maybe its not something that was bothering someone and all of sudden it starts more dysphoria for them.
I would never want to cause anyone any discomfort we have enough to deal with as it is
But when looking at your photo's I think your honesty beautiful and would be fine without any more work. But I think that what Mayer suggested would also enhance your confidence.

I liked Dr Keojampa  his suggestions for me were about the same as DR Mayer but He is a maxillofacial surgeon so he wanted to do extensive brow and jaw work. I would end up with a nice v shaped face in the end. Dr Mayer is not a maxillofacial surgeon only does type 1 brow (which I believe is all need) and would add chin implant and some chin contouring without any jaw work.
I personally think that both surgeons are completely qualified and just have a different vision of a female face.
That is why I suggested getting another opinion just by going to both so far it has opened my eyes that there is different ways to go about feminizing the face, everyone just needs to decide which way to go for them.

You mentioned you were afraid of cutting your bangs, im assuming your saying this  because your uncomfortable with your hairline? Have you ever thought about just going into a wig store and trying on some different style wigs just so you can see what you would look like with a different hair cut or no bangs? you don't have let them know you don't plan on buying anything

take care
  •  

V M

Hi Fayl  :icon_wave:

Welcome to Susan's Place  :)  Glad to have you here, join on in the fun

How about stopping by our Introductions Forum and introducing yourself so more folks can get to know you a bit better  ;)

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that we offer to all new members to help them along

Things that you should read

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Wendi

Fayl, OMG you look very pretty now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

•  

Breeze 57

I think you look beautiful just the way you are.  We are our own worst critics.  I know when I look in the mirror, all I can see is the old male me, but others have told me I look okay.  Passing or not, I know I don't want to do FFS again.  Once was enough.  My surgeon was Dr Mark Zukowski in Chicago.  I'm being very honest here, you are extremely pretty just the way you are.
  •  

Fayl

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

@Quinn: On the hair front I'd love to try a pixie cut but I guess I focus on whatever aspects remind me of my old face. At the very least if I went with Mayer again a few hair grafts could cover the white scar at my hairline. It can be pretty noticeable without makeup. But that wig idea is a great one! Hadn't really thought about trying something like that. It does sound like just getting a second opinion would be a good idea in general.

@V M: will do thank you!

@Wendi: Thank you!

@Breeze 57: I know what you mean. I follow a bunch of sub>-bleeped-<s like r/transpassing to r/transpositive (even r/dykesgonemild) and see other girls who've had great results and I just don't feel confident enough to even try posting there. Might just be mostly in my head though.
  •  

echo7

Some trans women have a brow ridge, and bone contouring/shaving is enough for them.  But some trans women's foreheads are projected forward entirely, and contouring isn't enough.  They need a complete reconstruction in order to set the forehead back.  From your profile picture, it looks to me that you are in the latter group and would benefit from a forehead reconstruction.

In your profile picture, beginning from the top of your nose, your forehead juts outward, making your eyes appear deep-set.  This is probably why you are still so self-conscious about your face and why you feel more comfortable with long bangs.  Your long bangs hide your forehead, which is what you are actually unhappy with, whether you realize it or not.

Does Dr Toby Mayer do type 3 forehead reconstructions?  If not, then you will want to go to a surgeon who does, such as Dr Deschamps-Braly or Facial Team.  I believe getting a forehead reconstruction is what you really need and what will finally make you comfortable with your face.
  •  

Charlie Nicki

Latina :) I speak Spanish, English and a bit of Portuguese.
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Attractive and feminine....I can see why you no longer get sir'ed
The mirror thing is difficult....I know
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Fayl

@echo: I believe Dr. Mayer does Type Is only. Thank you for the breakdown; it sounds I should looking into Type IIIs a bit more. Would my past procedures cause any issues with that sort of surgery? (that may just be a question for a surgeon). I've heard good things about Deschamps & Facial team. Are they the premier surgeons for Type III?

@Charlie Nicki & Drex/y: Thank you for the warm thoughts!
  •  

echo7

Deschamps-Braly and Facial Team have very good reputations for their work.  But there are other good surgeons who do Type III forehead work too.  Spiegel, Keojampa, Rossi, and more. It would be a good idea to consider and research all of them, have consultations with several of them, and ask each of them how they would handle your forehead work given your previous surgery. Good luck!
  •  

AlexisRene

You maybe need to outline your budget first. Unless you have insurance that will cover a second round? Maybe I missed that.

Deschamps Braly in San Francisco will typically be top end pricing where as Rossi in Buenos Aires will be much more budget friendly due to the exchange rate between the dollar & their peso. There are quite a few choices in between too. Am not saying budget is the only thing to consider at all. Just a big part of it. At least for me as it were.

I do not see anything that stands out if you did not want to do any more surgery. But completely understand being dysphoric, which is not the same as being pretty or not.

Would definitely get more quotes & gather more information. I have been researching surgeons too & typically learn something new after each consultation.

A couple more names to throw in the research list that you may or may not be aware of are Dr Regina Rodman in Houston & Dr Sarah Saxon in Austin TX.

Good luck & hope you keep the thread updated as you go. :)
  •  

Fayl

So unlike the first time around, I actually have decent PPO health insurance that (on paper) covers 100% of some FFS procedures:

• Thyroid chondroplasty
  • Brow Lift
  • Forehead contouring
  • Malar (cheek implants)
  • Jaw and/or chin re-shaping
  • Lip shortening
  • Scalp (hairline) advancement
  • Rhinoplasty

Whether they honor any/all of that I'll have to see. I have a coworker who's working on getting some procedures covered herself and seems to be getting ok process on getting them approved. I'm in Cali hence the focus on Mayer & Deschamps-Braly. Not sure if the PPO covers anything out of the states though. Something to look into I guess.
  •  

AlexisRene

Lucky you! That makes things a bit easier & relieves the financial concerns aside from time off of work & travel.

Would consult with Deschamps Braly, Keojampa & Lee. Those 3 along with Mayer seem to be at the top of most peoples lists. Think I read of someone receiving coverage for Facial Team. But personally would rather stay within a few hours drive vs a long flight(s) to a surgeon if possible.

Wish you the best.

•  

Drexy/Drex

My surgeon was Dr. Lazaro Cardenas via Transop they have a FB page that showcases some of his work
I flew from perth Australia to Mexico to get my ffs done by him and his team
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Lexxi

Hi Fayl,

I agree with a couple of the other ladies here...you look very pretty. If I had your face I wouldn't touch a thing. However I know how we women are...we're never truly satisfied.

Good luck with whatever road you take,

xoxo

Lexxi
Finally started the process of becoming who I really am on the inside! 5/20/19
  •  

Meena

Quote from: Drexy/Drex on May 27, 2019, 09:45:20 PM
My surgeon was Dr. Lazaro Cardenas via Transop they have a FB page that showcases some of his work
I flew from perth Australia to Mexico to get my ffs done by him and his team

I too am going to Dr. Cardenas, for my second round of FFS. I have previously had forehead work with FT in spain which I am very happy with.
Any tips to share? How long did you stay? I will be travelling from Europe.

•