Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Noticed more?

Started by warmbody28, May 22, 2019, 04:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warmbody28

I know i haven't been on the site in forever, but i wanted to know if anyone else feels like we get alot of attention these days? like 10-12 years ago i feel like the spot light wasnt on us so much. Feels like we have to speak up more and defend ourselves because people are aware of how common it is for us to be around in everyday life
  •  

Wendi

Quote from: warmbody28 on May 22, 2019, 04:52:40 PM
I know i haven't been on the site in forever, but i wanted to know if anyone else feels like we get alot of attention these days? like 10-12 years ago i feel like the spot light wasnt on us so much. Feels like we have to speak up more and defend ourselves because people are aware of how common it is for us to be around in everyday life
I'm relatively new to this but to me it seems just the opposite. When I go out dressed most everyone is super nice and understanding. I haven't had a bad word spoken. I obviously don't know what they're thinking but they don't show it to me except on rate occasions.

It seems like people are much more tolerant than in the past. Likely because many of the old school people have passed on.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Started HRT 1/3/2019

•  

warmbody28

Quote from: Wendi on May 22, 2019, 06:04:51 PM
I'm relatively new to this but to me it seems just the opposite. When I go out dressed most everyone is super nice and understanding. I haven't had a bad word spoken. I obviously don't know what they're thinking but they don't show it to me except on rate occasions.

It seems like people are much more tolerant than in the past. Likely because many of the old school people have passed on.

Im glad you are having a good experience so far :) Its a awesome Journey. people defiantly seem to be more aware of us these days.
  •  

Ryuichi13

Even though we've been around for as long as Humanity's been around, I believe it's because of celebrity transgender people that mainstream cis people in the US and other countries have come to realize that we not only exist, but are coming to realize that we are not the "perverts" so many politicians claim we are.  Of course, the old guard still like to think that we are, since they don't understand our dysphoria over being born in the wrong body, or perhaps we scare them (maybe because some are still in denial).  Thus they create things like bathroom laws in order to "scare the general ignorant cis public" into getting votes, or whatever other wrong reasons they come up with to try and get us back in the closet.  The problem with that negative way of thinking is that many of us will not go quietly back into the closet.

Or perhaps, it was simply our time, with advancements in surgical techniques and HRT to come forth and  be seen.

Or a million other reasons.

Either way, I am glad that we can be seen, even if it means that we have to fight in order to be recognized as existing.

Ryuichi

•  

F_P_M

My local community is really accepting so i'm fortunate in that respect. We have a transwoman who works in the local kids charity shop (they mostly sell toys and kids clothes to support a children's hospice) and i'm yet to see a single person give her any side eye or anything. She's always correctly gendered and treated with utmost respect which is very heartening to see.

We also have a transvestite who's lovely as well. Nobody bats an eyelid. He said to me he'd only ever had one incident and that was not in this town but up north and was about 20 years ago where he was attacked on a night out.

So I suppose i'm fortunate to live in a very middle class, very liberal area.

However,

right now i'm pre everything so I definitely come across as more "butch" than I do trans and that has led to a few incidents. Minor incidents, but still incidents.

I had a guy hiss at me the other day as he walked past.
Like.. what? HISS? bizarre.

I can only assume he didn't approve of how I was dressed.

And my doctor has been a bit... wierd. Not like offensive but certainly suddenly tense and weird since I came out.

I think though that we are more visible as a community which has good and bad points. I mean, we have a louder voice now for sure, but sadly so do our opponents.

I feel like we're on the edge of a major turning point in our history here. Things have reached a sort of head with a lot of anti trans sentiment globally and the kickback is starting. Something will happen, a catalyst and things will explode like Stonewall 50 years ago.

What is sad about Stonewall is that trans people were involved in that and it still didn't get them the same rights as the gay community.

Still, i'm hoping this is our time and that we're at that tipping point and what we do now will help our brothers and sisters in the future to have more rights and liberties, more dignity and more support and safety.

the younger generation are so much more accepting and I think they'll only continue to be so. I have a lot of faith in those kids. They're gonna change the world.
  •  

warmbody28

Quote from: F_P_M on May 23, 2019, 05:11:31 AM
My local community is really accepting so i'm fortunate in that respect. We have a transwoman who works in the local kids charity shop (they mostly sell toys and kids clothes to support a children's hospice) and i'm yet to see a single person give her any side eye or anything. She's always correctly gendered and treated with utmost respect which is very heartening to see.

We also have a transvestite who's lovely as well. Nobody bats an eyelid. He said to me he'd only ever had one incident and that was not in this town but up north and was about 20 years ago where he was attacked on a night out.

So I suppose i'm fortunate to live in a very middle class, very liberal area.

However,

right now i'm pre everything so I definitely come across as more "butch" than I do trans and that has led to a few incidents. Minor incidents, but still incidents.

I had a guy hiss at me the other day as he walked past.
Like.. what? HISS? bizarre.

I can only assume he didn't approve of how I was dressed.

And my doctor has been a bit... wierd. Not like offensive but certainly suddenly tense and weird since I came out.

I think though that we are more visible as a community which has good and bad points. I mean, we have a louder voice now for sure, but sadly so do our opponents.

I feel like we're on the edge of a major turning point in our history here. Things have reached a sort of head with a lot of anti trans sentiment globally and the kickback is starting. Something will happen, a catalyst and things will explode like Stonewall 50 years ago.

What is sad about Stonewall is that trans people were involved in that and it still didn't get them the same rights as the gay community.

Still, i'm hoping this is our time and that we're at that tipping point and what we do now will help our brothers and sisters in the future to have more rights and liberties, more dignity and more support and safety.

the younger generation are so much more accepting and I think they'll only continue to be so. I have a lot of faith in those kids. They're gonna change the world.

thank you everyone for sharing your experiences so far. I have just been curious about what others are experiencing. I have been getting contacted from people in places like Georgia, Alabama and Ohio that have been having some issues. Im glad to know that others are having good experiences :)
  •  

Kylo

The spotlight is definitely on us now because the topic of being trans and trans issues has become highly politicized.

What's been bad for us is that some of the campaigning and activism has been extremely aggressive and pushy, as a result we're no longer seen as that harmless, downtrodden demographic any more. That has consequences on how people view and choose to interact with us. For example, I notice that once people know I'm one of "them" they become wary, maybe assuming I will report anything they say as transphobic if they criticize the T community. I won't and never would report anyone for their opinion as I'm not that sort of person - unless they were actively threatening or plotting to come and kill or hurt a trans person. But I do notice people becoming more and more alienated from us the more politicized our demographic has become, and especially the more power people have been given by social justice to cause complete ostracization (for example being fired) for someone's opinions. 

On the other hand I notice a LOT more people are aware of us and are actually supportive too.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

KathyLauren

Definitely there has been more attention on us in the last 10 or 15 years than there was previously.  That has been a good thing for me, because it gave me the freedom to examine myself and come out.

A lot of the attention has come from positive developments, and it is refreshing to hear about them.  Society in general (at least where I live) is way more tolerant and accepting now than it used to be.

Unfortunately, that has triggered some blowback from certain political and religious elements, which causes negative attention. 

I think that the positive developments so far outweigh the negative and have more sympathy in the public eye.  I hope that continues.  Unfortunately, that does not stop the negative elements from siezing power.  I am working on an escape plan if that happens.  (Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you!)
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

sarahc

Definitely more attention, which I think is good in the long term but is creating some blowback. My view is that it was Transparent and Laverne Cox that really got the attention ramped up. And then things have kinda just kept growing from there with mainstream media paying more attention to transgender issues to openly transgender politicians getting elected.

The best part of the additional attention is that there is more awareness among youth, which has led to more teenagers coming out (yay for them!) to what is generally a very accepting young generation of cis teen peers (yay to them!). That bodes well for the long term. Without the current attention, we wouldn't have gotten that.

Sarah
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •