Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Quinn's Transition Odyssey

Started by Quinn, May 27, 2019, 08:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinn

Im sorry everyone if this is long its also a journal for me to see where I started and see how far I have come, farther than I ever thought I had the courage to do. And now where I go from here since im at the cusp of social transition stage for me

This journey started preteen before I even knew what transgender was I just knew that I was a bit odd for a boy and I didn't quite fit in with boys or girls. In those days the Gay Rights Movement was just starting and Transgender individuals were seldom even mentioned unless it was to ridicule and shame the freaks.

I was like most of that era and before just told what was allowed for boys and girls to do.  if I did anything remotely feminine sometimes just corrected but most of the time was punished and publicly  humiliated for every indiscretion which were many in the younger years. Over time I was conditioned that feminine feelings and expression had to be hidden at any cost to protect myself and cause more pain from family and friends. So in private I would express myself and could express but in public I had to hide as best I could any feelings of femininity, this did not always work but I tried so I could just fit and blend into what the standards society set.

This went on thru one marriage , kids , and grandkids but as many here it can only be suppressed for so long until my emotional stability just could not take the pain of it any longer.
I was married at 18 , first child at 18, second child at 20, divorced at 27, first grandchild at 35 second grandchild at 40. Im currently 53.

Once I was divorced I started even back then doing things that mostly couldn't be seen, started wearing women's underwear I believe was the first, the first time going to work in them I was so scared someone would know, was sure that someone was going to figure it out it didn't happen that first day. So I tried another day and nothing happened so I just became the norm for me and over time I never even thought of it any more.

Then I stared wearing women's jeans same thing figured someone was going to call me out on it and again nothing happened so it became the norm. I have worked in construction all my adult life so this was a bit odd to be on construction sites in women's panties and jeans boots and eventually everything was womens except for my shirts because I had such a belly at the time but I made sure that it nothing overtly feminine and it only came up once years down the road.
I was doing a lot of welding and used a torch a lot in those days so the sparks would burn my arm hair and had a piece of molten slag go down my shirt sleeve and ignite my underarm hair one day. That night I thought about and the next day I showed up with my arms and underarms shaved I actually joked about not having to worry about catching on fire with everyone there. Everyone laughed about what happened the day before watching my try to put out my underarm hair. They joked a bit then went back to work and from that day forward I shaved my arms and underarms and no one ever again said anything.

I slowly over years introduced things like above thinking that someone would notice and call me out on anything but it never happened , I also was shavings my legs wearing clear nail polish and although some may thought it strange for them just accepted all these little things about me as who I was.

But i got to the point where I there was nothing left I could do to help relieve some of the pressure I was feeling emotionally inside. I was living at home alone female 95% of the time.  At 49 I was getting close to where I was when I attempted suicide at 15 and knew I had to do something.
Im 5'6" and at the end of 2014 I weighed 250lbs of pure misery , I decided if I was going to try to really transition at least a little I did not want to do it so overweight. So I started on  exercise and calorie counting ,  I lost 110lbs it took me about one year I was down to 140lbs but found I needed a few more pounds to feel a little better so I went up to 143lbs and felt wonderful.
I also at that time stopped cutting my ¼" long hair, so that everyone would see it get slowly get longer but not short one day and long the next , my hair is now 16" long

I started therapy in 2016 with one insurance company but when It came time to get HRT they couldn't find a endo with any Trans experience. I had heard good things about Kaiser Permente and their care for transgendered patients so I made the switch at the beginning of 2017 but had to start their process again and was able to start low dose HRT in May of 2017.

My plan at the time was just to be low dose HRT maybe to retirement if I could but after the first few days I knew that was not going to be possible for just low dose. The Anger and rage and frustration I had my entire life was lifting just a little at a time. I did not even know how much anger and resentment I actually had until I started HRT and just the little relief I had from the low dose was enough to let me know that there is another way I could live I had never felt before. Happiness and Contentment

So I had the endo start raising my dosages until I was on a full transition dose, still not at this time  actually believing I would socially transition. A lot of the fear of the public transition for me stems from owning a smaller commercial construction company. This is my livelihood im a expert in my field and I would be financially ruined if it goes bad and I cannot get any projects. I have been told by a few people that they would never hire a women to do work for them.
Losing the business/home/ and stability has been  my biggest fear during this whole process and still is my biggest fear today

At the beginning of 2017 my actual only goal was to start low dose HRT with so many fears that anything else at that time seemed inconceivable and way to much to ever think of accomplishing
My therapist asked to me list what I have accomplished since first sitting in her chair in 2017
•   2016 Therapy
•   May 2017 start of low dose HRT
•   June 2017 bad experience with voice therapy only two sessions and stopped
•   October 2017 to Feb 2018 laser hair removal on face
•   December 2017 started electrolysis of face every an hour every wed, fri  sat  until now
•   November 2018 First FFS consultation
•   March 2019 Orchiectomy
•   Started getting maam instead of sir even in andro mode about 30% of the time
•   April 2019 Came out to all family and friends 100% out , except for business
•   May 2019 second consultation FFS
•   Printed all forms for gender/name change so ready when I am
•   May 2019 electrolysis enters maintenance stage
•   May 2019 orders custom hair system
•   May   2019 started voice therapy
•   May 2019 booked lessons with a Make-up artist experienced with transgender
•   July 2019 appointment set for 3rd consultation FFS

Looking at everything at a whole that it takes to transitition when I was trying to decide if I was going to take the leap and transition  would overwhelm me and I would suppress again and again for years. But all it took was that first step and completing one thing at a time. The whole process takes a long time and  it give me a chance to process each choice before it is made and given time I now look back and what I have done and just say wow never thought I would get this far.

I will now it seems be moving faster because im at that point. I had so much fear to start but I did not want to start presenting until I was done with facial removal and so I was able to just cruise along mostly for the last two years with less fear because I new i had some time but one day my electrogist just said I don't have anything here to work with you will need to start coming in less often . It snuck up on me and that fear has come back because I now have to start again about how to socially come out in public.

I will continue to post to this as things progress from here 

•  

Northern Star Girl

@Quinn
Dear Quinn:
I am so happy to see that you have just started your own personal transition thread.  You have given a rather complete summary of how you started and how you progressed through your stages of your journey.   What and how you described your own personal journey is not too different from what other members have gone through. 

I like your that you documented your summary list of your transition tasks and accomplishments beginning at the time that you first met with your therapist.  .... that was a great suggestion from your therapist.

Many members start  their "own" threads that they will use to chronicle their transition journey and life endeavors.   Sharing your moments, both good and bad, is a way for your to vent your feelings, your successes, your failures, and generally what is going on in your life.
A big advantage of writing things out is that you can have an opportunity to examine your own feelings, share with your readers and followers, exchange thoughts and ideas with others, and postulate positive ways to improve your future experiences.

In addition to my own personal thread-journal I also keep a more private old-school pen&paper journal complete with colorful doodling and perhaps a few pictures....  Many times I will write my deepest thoughts, my biggest successes and my worst failures.  I find that it is very good personal therapy and there are times I will sit and read things that I have written going back to the beginning.  A great way to chart my journey with personal notes for my eyes only.

You will find that your readers and followers here on the Forums are your biggest fans and we are always supporting you.   When you have good things to report we will rejoice with you... and when you report your frustrations and not-so-good news you will always find us having an ear available to listen and a shoulder to lean on.

I will be eagerly looking for your updates and comments here on your new thread and also your comments on the various threads around the forums.

Thank you for sharing.
Best wishes,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Quinn

Thank you Danielle I have followed your thread from the first post and enjoy reading your life story as it has progressed.

I read along with  many of the women's logs as they have progressed and it has helped me along this path also seeing others struggling with much the same issues I have.

I have for some time been meaning to start my own but for some reason have held back , it is now time.

Now I am on the cusp of so many first's for me that I have fear of I was hoping that my journaling may help someone else much as yours and others stories have helped me.
  •  

Quinn

Last week had my first voice therapy session with a wonderful voice pathologist that works with transgender individuals.

At the beginning of the sessions since it was the first one there was paperwork to sign and we chatted a bit about the process before we began, during this she was actually getting my baseline during this normal conversation. I did not realize which she said was to make sure that it was the real baseline. If I knew I was working on it I would have tried to change my voice a bit everyone does this.

So my baseline is 147hz which is not a bad place to be before even beginning she told me.
after some testing and practice she had set me to practice the exercises she gave me to do this last week at 180HZ. I tried really hard to get down to that , I was able to get it down to about 185hz on the best day but still a little hard but with the vocal exercises it was a far improvement from the start.

Today I had my second appointment and she said that I had improved tremendously from last week and listened again to where im at now and said the 180 was to low since it was a strain im set to practice at 190hz and this is fairly comfortable for me. So this week i will at working at 190hz for all my practice
Today also introduced some three syllable words into the mix. I also actually got the resonance correct on some of the words which when played back I would swear sounded 100% female which was exciting.
She told me that before I start trying to actually talk that I need to the pitch range so its a reflex and I can do it anytime which I defenity cannot do yet it will take a lot of practice , I will also have to be able to resonate which takes some time to understand and actually apply.

But im happy with my progress for 7 days so far

Tomorrow I  go in early for thermolysis then  have a therapy appointment I hoping there is some news from therapist on my FFS consult request

•