Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What (who's) voice would you like? Therapy stuff!

Started by HappyMoni, May 27, 2019, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyMoni

I am starting this thread because my voice therapist wanted to know who I thought had a pleasant female voice. I am to get three samples of female voices before returning for therapy on Wednesday. It is really hard thinking of a pleasant, plausible voice for me. Getting a sample without music in the background makes it harder. So I do kind of like Siri's voice. I took note of Sharon Stone's voice which is low but definitely female. I need an age appropriate voice also. I can't sound like The Little Mermaid at 60 years old right?  So, any thoughts? (No, not Ursula!) I need inspiration. My emphasis would be pleasant over sexy. HELP!
Moni
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

Jessica

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

Cindy

Not Mine  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Sorry!)

There is an App that Laryngectomy people use called Talk For Me and it is free and just downloads to your phone. It has several female voices from different parts of the USA and from around the world, you can speed them up and slow them down to find one that is OK for you. OK it is for people who can't speak but it does have a nice range of voices.
  •  

KristySims

I don't know if you have ever heard of the podcast, My Favorite Murder but the hosts I listen to all the time:
Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark ..... I LOVE their voices!

I got to meet them earlier this year!

•  

ChrissyRyan

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Lexxi

I was always partial to Susanne Pleshett's voice. It's deeper but definitely female. Plus she was older when I heard her, so no little mermaid voice there. lol
Finally started the process of becoming who I really am on the inside! 5/20/19
  •  

sarahc

The NPR women anchors are generally really good because they're very controlled. I especially like Melissa Block's voice, which is lower, yet feminine with good croak - a really great model for trans women, I think. Here's a clip:

Rachel Martin is also a very good one to emulate and a good target for trans women...although she pops higher occasionally, she's hovering around 130-225 Hz for the most part with an average excluding the pops of around 180 Hz.

A great exercise to do in the car is to listen to NPR and literally mimic what the female hosts and reporters are saying. It's fantastic practice when you don't have much better to do. (You can do this with podcasts as well).

Sarah
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

Linde

My therapist feels that I could be a Marlene Dietrich impersonator (I also have that slight German accent).  I don't know if this is true, but there are some on this forum who know my voice.  It definitely is the voice of an older woman.
02/22/2019 bi-lateral orchiectomy

•  

Quinn

I started voice therapy last week my normal male baseline  is 147hz so im right about the low andro, she wants me to be at 180hz
Its amazing now that I didn't realize how low a lot of womens voices actually are,i  have been measuring what other womens voices are at in hz and they vary so much and a lot their bases is in the male range but always sound female .  You do not need to go to super high to have a female voice.
My therapist has a beautiful voice and completely female she told me her base range is 175hz I was surprised to say the least
  •  

Linde

Quote from: Quinn on May 28, 2019, 05:34:32 AM
I started voice therapy last week my normal male baseline  is 147hz so im right about the low andro, she wants me to be at 180hz
Its amazing now that I didn't realize how low a lot of womens voices actually are,i  have been measuring what other womens voices are at in hz and they vary so much and a lot their bases is in the male range but always sound female .  You do not need to go to super high to have a female voice.
My therapist has a beautiful voice and completely female she told me her base range is 175hz I was surprised to say the least
Have you tried to use voice pitch analyzer?  It is for free on the Google play store. 
I am lucky (I did not think so when I tried to be a man) that I have a pretty high pitched natural voice, and my average range is around 200 hz, but my base is around 160 hz, and my max is 258 hz.  As you can see, this is not a very large range of frequency, I use for talking.  But yet, I sound as female (older female) as they come.  A lot of this has to do with the way one uses the voice.  I can talk in a very similar frequency range and sound like a man with a higher pitched voice, or I can sound like a female with a little lower pitched voice.

I wish you good luck with your voice training
Linde

•  

DawnOday

Moni... I used Meryl Streep, Sally Field as my voice examples. Both ladies have good sense of humor. Nice smiles and have graceful hand gestures. Plus I have known Sally pretty much all my life, going back to Gidget.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

Faith

personally, I don't have a voice preference. The only thing I want is "Ma'am" when I'm on the phone, not "Sir"
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

HappyMoni

So many good suggestions. You hit it out of the park. Thanks for coming through for me. I had my eyes opened by listening to the ladies from NPR. Their voices were not that high, but they were feminine sounding. I see these as realistic models. It really hit  me how well they annunciated and what a difference that makes. I am from New York originally and I learned to speak fast and mumble well living there. I am only on my third session tomorrow, so I have learned diaphramatic breathing and stretching the vocal cords by practicing lesandros (spelling). Can't wait to go further. I want to really try to be more vigilant with annunciation. I am having trouble finding a voice tuner app for the Iphone  which shows Hertz not the musical notes. Ideas?
Thank you muchly!!!!!

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

AvaNovum

I have used an app called Voice Pitch Analyzer by Purr Programming, the app is free.  It's not real time but it does show frequency and bands for Male, androgynous, and female voices.  There are other apps as well that show real time time frequency, but don't recall then names :( .  Something to think about is vocal range not just who you want to sound like, although that is a great way to figure out where you want to be. 
I have some musical training and so figured out I could do a Contralto voice with some practice.  Singers like Cher, Amy Winehouse, Pink, Shania Twain, and Stevie Nicks are Contraltos.
For us Transgender women whose voices may fall at the lower end of the spectrum, that is some good company.
Just something to think about. :icon_yes:
All the Best  :)
  •  

Donica

Hi Moni! I've always like Catherine Zeta-Jones and Demi Moore. Pleasantly elegant and sexy. I use the same "Voice Pitch Analyzer" that Ava described above and I also spent a little money for the same app my therapist uses "Voice Analyst". It was only $9 or so.

I don't like my voice playback on either app. I'm not sure why because this morning I got positive feedback from a callback with a recording of my voice and for the first time, I was very happy with it. So was the gentleman that responded to the callback. "How can I help you ma'am?" YAY SQUEEEE!!!!
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I just want to sound always like Chrissy and not Christopher.
Whether talking softly, when surprised, or whenever!

If it sounds sweet, pleasant, and sexy, so much the better.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

HappyMoni

Thank you for the awesome suggestions. I may end up trying them all. I started out the day with good voice I thought. I was happy and confident that I had already found some areas of improvement. By the time I got to therapy though, my voice was straining some. I was not relaxed as much and felt pretty lost. The voice I am talking with now she said was about 125 Hertz. I thought it was higher, but not according to her equipment. My homework is to read passages stepping up to 140-150 Hertz. It is hard to read and focus on the frequency when the frequency is jumping around. I guess I should find the pitch with the tuner and just read allowing for variation in pitch above and below. Got to admit to being frustrated. I have flem on my vocal cords which adds to the difficulty. I expect to get good and frustrated before I make a break through of any kind. My reading material is Dr. Suess. Was aso wondering about reading in front of a camera or mirror for visual feedback.

]
  •  

sarahc

Quote from: HappyMoni on May 29, 2019, 08:10:40 PM
Thank you for the awesome suggestions. I may end up trying them all. I started out the day with good voice I thought. I was happy and confident that I had already found some areas of improvement. By the time I got to therapy though, my voice was straining some. I was not relaxed as much and felt pretty lost. The voice I am talking with now she said was about 125 Hertz. I thought it was higher, but not according to her equipment. My homework is to read passages stepping up to 140-150 Hertz. It is hard to read and focus on the frequency when the frequency is jumping around. I guess I should find the pitch with the tuner and just read allowing for variation in pitch above and below. Got to admit to being frustrated. I have flem on my vocal cords which adds to the difficulty. I expect to get good and frustrated before I make a break through of any kind. My reading material is Dr. Suess. Was aso wondering about reading in front of a camera or mirror for visual feedback.

Getting flustered and the voice tiring are pretty normal for only being a few weeks in. This is a deceptively difficult process, and you're still at the stage of needing to concentrate hard just to speak.

As for frequency jumping around, if you have a lot of natural intonation in your speaking style, I would suggest trying to tone that down for a while. At the beginning of this process, it's better to have a much narrower pitch variance in your voice for at least a few months - try to keep the pitch relatively steady without being robotic. That will help you get used to the new pitch. Once you get the new pitch gets burned in your mind and have resonance down, you can then think about adding back some intonation.

Sarah
----
Known that I am trans since...forever.
First therapy session / decided to transition / hair removal: October 2018
HRT: January 2019 (journal https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,244009.0.html)
Hope to go full-time: July / August 2019
FFS / SRS: 2020
  •  

MeTony

My pre T middle range is 180 Hz. You don't need to pass 200 Hz to sound female.

It is not all about the Hz. It's also about HOW you talk according to my speech therapist.

Women talk like a roller coaster and go up at the end of the sentence, like a question. Men talk more even, without high ups and downs and go down at the end of the sentence. I was told this by my speech therapist. I have been listening to the melody when people speak, and she is right!

My speech therapist said I talk like a man. All I need is to come down below 170 Hz and I will be heared as a guy. T will do the trick.

I'm not sure how to practice for a female range though. Do you have a speech therapist that can help you?

I always thought I had a strange dialect, but when listening to the recording with my speech therapist I could hear I don't do the roller coaster thing. She said I interpreted that as a dialect. That I don't sound like a woman when I speak.

Tony
  •  

Linde

I think the way a spoken language sounds, male or female, also depends on the language, and the country this language is spoken.  I grew up with Dutch and German.  The German is the way it is spoken on the left side of the river Rhine, and it has a very strong French language influence, because this area used to be part of France for a while.  The German spoken there is an up and down experience of intonations, by men and women the same.  This means, male and female differences are mostly seen in the frequency.  Most any statement sounds like a question. 
I can hear a similar difference in Dutch.  the Dutch spoken in the northern part of the Netherlands is pretty flat sounding, while the southern Dutch dialekt, which I speak, has a lot of ups and downs, too.

I learned most of my current English from my ex wife, who is a linguist and teaches at a large university.  Which means, I learned the more female version of American English.  Paired this with the way I used to speak German or Dutch, plus my rather high pitched voice could be the reason that I was able to speak "female" without any real problem.  I was around females for most of my time over the last several  years, and i just picked up the way they talk.  I never had any voice lessons, or did any major exercises for it.  I just talked the way it felt tight.

One funny thing though, whenever I use the telephone I use my male voice, sometimes on purpose if I want to push things, sometimes simple because it is a habit.

•