Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Starting HRT next month

Started by JessicaF84, May 27, 2019, 07:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessicaF84

Hi all,

As the topic states I'm beginning my medical transition within the next month. I am super excited and I am wondering what the best approach is if I am given the options. I have done research but cannot find out if there are other alternative hormones to block T. I understand spiro requires mass amounts of water and for my job I cant be peeing every 10 seconds from having a gallon a day. Are there alternatives for this medication or am I basically stuck? I am seeing a physician but he mentioned spiro is what he prescribes.

Thank you for any information

Jess
  •  

V M

Hi Jessica  :icon_wave:

Welcome to Susan's Place  :)  Glad to have you here, join on in the fun

How about stopping by our Introductions Forum and introducing yourself so more folks can get to know you a bit better  ;)

Here are some links to the site rules and stuff that we offer to all new members to help them along

Things that you should read

Hugs

V M
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Jessica

Hi Jessica 🙋‍♀️ Welcome to Susan's Place, I'm Jessica too!
Spironolactone does have the tendency to dehydrate, but not everyone experiences having to pee all the time.  Your doctor most likely will start you on a low dosage to determine your tolerance.  There are other androgen blockers, but in the U.S. typically spiro is prescribed.

I see that our female version of Clint Eastwood has greeted you with some very useful links that will help you get the best experience here.  Please be kind and give them a look see 🌸🌸🌸

Hugs and smiles from a California girl

"If you go out looking for friends, you are going to find they are very scarce.  If you go out to be a friend, you'll find them everywhere."

•  

AnneK

I've been on Dutasteride, for a couple of years.  It's often used as a T blocker, though that's not why I'm taking it.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

BlueJaye

I have not experienced any problems with spiro. I haven't increased my water intake and haven't experienced dehydration.
  •  

JessicaF84

Thank you all for the responses :)

That's good to hear you haven't had much issues with all of your meds. I'm hoping for the same results lol.
  •  

Allie Jayne

I was worried about Spiro, until my endo said I didn't need any blockers! It will all depend on where your hormones are at from blood tests. Because everybody is so different, there seems to be a "try this and we'll see how you handle it" ethos with HRT.

Allie
  •  

JessicaF84

I had my bloodwork done and I was within normal ranges for a cismale for testosterone unfortunately :( so most likely I will be requiring some kind of blocker I think.
  •  

Dena

In the old days, we didn't have blockers and were on estrogen only. Did it work as well? Probably not but it was all we had. Blocking testosterone does help reduce dysphoria and it makes a world of difference in a transition. On the other hand, for some people, estrogen alone will block testosterone production. These people tend to have lower testosterone levels however some see these results with implants or injections. HRT is a good deal of trial and error to find what's best for you so see what options the doctor offers.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Kate.claire

I've gone the estradiol injection only route out of concerns about spiro.  While my numbers have looked "good" all this time, with really low T and high E, at 8 months I can only describe utter disappointment over my non-results to date.  So, at least in my case, E and T levels weren't the whole story... I'm now left wondering where I'd be if I had started spiro too,  but who knows,  maybe the same place with a lot more bladder emergencies. 😂 In my case, age and an overly masculine appearance were not helping.   

If I had it to do over again, I'd go the spiro route, it's the more typical path. If you don't like it, you can wean off of it at a later time.

Kate Carter

"I'm on outside, I'm on the outside now"

•  

Kendra

I started estradiol without an anti-androgen, then had GCS six months later.  Worked great for me.
Assigned male at birth 1963.  Decided I wanted to be a girl in 1971.  Laser 2014-16, electrolysis 2015-17, HRT 7/2017, GCS 1/2018, VFS 3/2018, FFS 5/2018, Labiaplasty & BA 7/2018. 
  •