News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

The New Years Outage and our Lost years

Started by Susan, January 01, 2024, 06:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan

Dear Forum Family,

I deeply apologize for the recent challenges we've faced with our server and the impact it has had on our website and services.

Over time, we encountered difficulties with server updates that raised concerns about potential issues with the GRUB bootloader during server boot-up. To mitigate this, I temporarily halted doing updates, which led to a delay in keeping our systems up to date.

As we planned an upgrade to our forums, one of the prerequisites was PHP 8.0. To address the potential server issues, I decided to take proactive measures. I performed a comprehensive backup of our server data, including nightly, monthly, and full backups. These backups were supposed to be stored securely on an external drive.

However, an unexpected issue surfaced. In 2019, the connection to the external backup drive was lost, unbeknownst to me. The drive was not mounted with the remount flag. Consequently, the server had started saving backups on the server drive instead of the external one. This remained unnoticed over the years as I verified the existence of the backups and pruned out-of-date nightly backups.

To resolve the GRUB bootloader issue, I initiated the re-partitioning of the server drives, which included creating a new boot partition at the front of the drive and installing the GRUB loader there. As a precaution, I disconnected the external drive to eliminate any potential complications.

Upon completing these tasks, I proceeded to install the latest version of the operating system. Thankfully, the boot problems were resolved. However, when I remounted the external drive and attempted to restore our website and server files, I discovered that the files were dated from May 2019.

This unfortunate turn of events resulted in the loss of four years' worth of posts, and some members who had registered during that time were no longer active. Additionally, members who had deleted their accounts within that period were involuntarily restored, and for that, I deeply apologize.

I then began doing an upgrade on the forum to bring us to the current version. This took 1223 minutes and 40 seconds due to the large size of the forum, even back in 2019. I was only able to grab intermitten sleep during that time.

To prevent issues with canceled subscriptions, I had to cancel all active subscriptions. I kindly request that you please take a moment to restore your subscriptions, as this site cannot survive without member support! I will be working on re-implementing the donation system as well.

As a part of the upgrade, I had also issues restoring the WordPress installation that managed our front page, and since much of the WordPress content was out of date, I decided to make the forum the main page of the website, adding a redirect from the previous location.

I sincerely apologize for the technological oversights and the impact they have had on our community, the lost memories, posts, and the wonderful support members of the community had given in those lost years. I also apologize for anyone who needed peer support over the New Year's Holiday and couldn't receive it.

I assure you that hard lessons have been learned from this experience, and I am committed to ensuring that these types of mistakes do not ever recur.

For those who may be revisiting our community, We had recently taken a series of steps to deal with perceptions that moderation on the site was heavy-handed including revisions to our TOS and content policy. We did a total ban wipe. We removed the prohibition on discussing dosages in relation to Hormone Replacement Therapy, Our censored word list was heavily pruned. Our renewed focus is to create a supportive environment where everyone is welcome, supported, and both seen and heard.

Thank you for your understanding and continued support. We look forward to those whose memberships were dropped re-registering.

I really hate having to ask for your help, but your support for the website and myself is more crucial than ever during this period. We offer a range of monthly subscription options from $5 to $1000, and your contribution in any form will be deeply valued. You can also donate via paypal through my paypal me link which goes to site's account.

paypal.me/SusanElizabethLarson

Sincerely,
Susan Larson
Susan's Place Transgender Resources
Susan Larson
Founder

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!

Paulie

Dear Susan,

Wow, I certainly didn't expect to see this.  I'm so very sorry for everyone's loss and for the loss to the community.   I can't imagine how you felt when you first realized what was lost.  OMG, I would have died.  My heart goes out to you, and everyone that is a part of Susan's.

Thank you for getting the site back up and running again.  I sincerely hope those that have made this site a part of their lives come back.  I know it will be hardest for those that had the daily blogs, as they have lost the most.  But they, in their blogs have made may more friends and loved ones then they know.  They are the reason many of us were visiting the site on a daily basis.

I hope you can get the payment service back up soon.  Do you have a P.O. Box I can send a Cashers Check/donation to?

I do not have a PayPal account.  I have serious issues with PayPal and by no means what them to have any of my information.  In the past I used a Visa gift card and registered it anonymously to make donations.  Sorry, I'm very weird in some ways and I can't help it. 

Warm Regards, 
Paulie.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Susan

Allie Jayne

I'm looking through the names on the 2019 posts, and there aren't many who are still posting recently, so unless more recent members are able to log on, activity will be greatly reduced. There will need to be information sent around the other Forums to alert people who can't log on now. The forum can recover, but it will take a lot of work!

Hugs,

Allie
  •  

davina61

Well that wiped my blog out, not even there to post on now. Lets hope things get sorted soon.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Allie Jayne

Davina, some of your Blog may be available at Archive.org.

Hugs,

Allie
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Just to let you all know, I heard from someone whose account was lost and who tried to re-register and they said that they are not getting their registration e-mail and hence can't move forward.

Heidemarie
  •  

Flan

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on January 02, 2024, 07:35:45 AMJust to let you all know, I heard from someone whose account was lost and who tried to re-register and they said that they are not getting their registration e-mail and hence can't move forward.

Heidemarie
This is a known issue with people with gmail accounts. Not sure when it'll be fixed (hopefully soon(tm) ).
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr, purr, purr.
  •  

Katie Jade

Quote from: davina61 on January 02, 2024, 04:48:29 AMWell that wiped my blog out, not even there to post on now. Lets hope things get sorted soon.

Well Im still here, thanks Davina for letting me know, Im not an active user but the site has been wonderful over the lonely years. Might just help again.

Katie Jade

Loads of Luv n Hugz xx

Post Op Sept 2023...... that took a very long time....

Susan

Quote from: Katie Jade on January 02, 2024, 10:21:19 AMWell Im still here, thanks Davina for letting me know, Im not an active user but the site has been wonderful over the lonely years. Might just help again.

Katie Jade

Loads of Luv n Hugz xx

Please, we would love to have you!
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

Susan

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on January 02, 2024, 07:35:45 AMJust to let you all know, I heard from someone whose account was lost and who tried to re-register and they said that they are not getting their registration e-mail and hence can't move forward.

Heidemarie

That is most probably due to a google account. It's been an ongoing war between me and them. I will work on that today. In the meantime if they will email the sptrdonations@gmail.com account from the email in question. I will see about manually activating them.
Susan Larson
Founder

•  

Gwendoline

At first I will thank all for all the afford to get SP back online as complete as possible. This affords we're also during the new years events so double heavy!
Also the moment of realizing 4 years of SP would possibly gone must have been one which makes your stomach turn around.
I whish all strength in building back SP!💥
If I can help please let me know.
  •  

Allison R

Susan I agree that your heart must've been in your feet watching this all play out. I am so thankful for the effort over the holiday to get the site back up. I am sure that we will all get the content back up as well. It has been so necessary for us all, and I can't see people giving up on it. I like the new setup, I have thought a like function would be phenomenal and here it is. I will be starting a new blog soon!
  •  

Jessica_K

Like? I do not see anyway to do this. Like there is not a like button like lol (sorry British humour)

Hugs
Jessica xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

Carla68

Hi Susan,

Not the greatest start to year but these things happen so don't worry too much about it

I was logging on to prep for my five year update lol

most of my posts were between 2019 an 2021 (start until operation) it's a shame all that info has gone

on the plus side for me I won't be disappointed that nobody has commentated or responded to any of my questions or posts. I can blissfully believe there were lots of great responses

I will see if I saved any of my rambling posts in Word or Notepad and repost if I find any

Will also see if even though getting on with my live post transition I can log on a bit more to answer questions for new people starting theirs

Hope the rest of the year fares better for everyone

Carla
Carla

Orchiectomy 28th July 2020
GRS 22nd June 2021
FFS 22nd June 2021
  •  

Donica

This is very disappointing. Most of us have lost 4 (for some, the most important) years of our lives. I do hope this issue can be resolved to prevent any further losses of members experiences. The past 4 years were the most important transitional period of my life. It would be a good idea for each of us to take it upon ourselves to back up our personal blogs/post to prevent such a tragic loss of valuable personal information in the future.

Donica
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Quote from: Jessica_K on January 02, 2024, 08:45:52 PMLike? I do not see anyway to do this. Like there is not a like button like lol (sorry British humour)

Hugs
Jessica xxx

I noticed that some people have liked posts, but I don't see a "Like" button or a thumbs-up button either. Can someone please point to where that mystical elusive feature is hidden?

Thanks,

Heidemarie
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Iztaccihuatl on January 04, 2024, 10:32:39 AMI noticed that some people have liked posts, but I don't see a "Like" button or a thumbs-up button either. Can someone please point to where that mystical elusive feature is hidden?

Thanks,

Heidemarie

Look right under Donicas signature in the post.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Quote from: Devlyn on January 04, 2024, 10:52:22 AMLook right under Donicas signature in the post.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn

This is what I see for Donica's post:

Am I missing something here?

I looked at my account settings but did not see anything obvious either.
  •  

Devlyn

This is what I see on my laptop and the mobile browser on my phone. Are you using tapatalk by any chance?

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

No, I use Apple's Safari browser on a Mac. Same behavior on Google Chrome and Firefox, so I don't think it is a browser issue. I do see the "1 person likes this" message, but no Thumbs-up/Like hyperlink. I checked the DOM and that element is just not there.

Tapatalk, btw, currently doesn't work at all. I believe SMF requires a plugin to enable Tapatalk which might not have been installed yet after the server rebuild.
  •