Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

When did you know it was time to go full-time?

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 02, 2024, 07:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

« on: July 22, 2020, 07:18:47 pm »
I had planned to wait 12 months after starting HRT to go full time. At the 10-month point I experienced a round of euphoria that lasted about two hours. It was a bit frightening at first because I had never experienced it before. I took that as a sign that it was time. A few days later I submitted the paperwork for a legal name change. For the first time ever, I dressed fully as a woman and went out in public so I could visit my doctor to get a form allowing me to change the gender on my drivers license. Within two weeks of becoming euphoric, my name change was complete. I announced my transition at work on a Friday. Over the weekend I visited a hair salon, got my ears pierced, learned some very basic makeup, and bought a few more clothes. Monday morning, Jessica was at her desk.

I never had voice therapy like I planned, and the only surgery I had at that point was a trachea shave. I look at photos from then and think 'wow, I was really brave', although in reality I know it was an act of desperation. Those first few weeks as Jessica were tough, but everything has worked out well.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Asche

I can't say that there was a certain point at which I made a decision to "go full-time."  There were simply points in my life where the next step became clear to me.  I won't bore you all with my history, but there's one incident which gives the flavor.  I had read a blog article (Zinnia Jones's "That Was Dysphoria?") that got me thinking I might be trans and was seeing a therapist, and during one of the sessions, a kind of voice in my head (I call it my "inner oracle") said "you're going to transition.  Just thought you'd like to know."  That was the closest thing to a "decision" I had during the process.

I eventually started HRT, at the end of 2015.  I'd read that with HRT, there comes a point when people start to notice, and I wild-guessed that that meant I should transition (=go full-time) by the end of 2016, so I put together a time-line of when I'd need to start various steps (name change, talking with HR, etc.) to make sure it would all be done by then.  It wasn't so much a matter of "deciding" as of practical planning.

And I didn't "decide" to go for SRS: once I'd transitioned (everywhere), it just seemed obvious that it was the next step for me.  I was full-time everywhere (esp. at work) by Jan 1 2017, and that month I got my first appointment at the medical office that everyone I knew said was the right place to get SRS.  If it had been up to me, I'd have done it that year, but the medical industry was not (and AFAIK is still not) all that cooperative, so I ended up doing it 6 years later at a different medical practice at a different hospital.

If this sounds a bit funny, I should perhaps explain that my personality has a kind of split -- I sometimes call it "DID lite."  My conscious mind handles the day-to-day stuff, but there's an unconscious part of me that seems to have been directing my life, usually without my being aware of it.  It feels like a lot of my choices are not done rationally and I'm aware even at the time that my "reasons" are just rationalizations created to keep the people happy who try to tell me how to live my life, but I now think it is that unconscious part -- my "inner oracle" -- that makes the choices, and then gives me the feeling that this or that option "feels right."  And go with that because I feel that the "inner oracle" is a lot smarter and wiser than "I" (the conscious "me") am.  (Actually, I suspect that the "inner oracle" is the real me, the one that everyone around me wanted to erase, and the conscious "me" is a personality that was constructed during my "hell years" to present me more like what my world wanted to see.)
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

Oldandcreaky

When people were confused about my gender, that was the time.
  •  

Gina P

For me going full time was more of a progression. Started out telling the wife then getting my ears pierced, wearing female sneakers, HRT, woman's jeans, growing my hair out, female tops and jackets, jewelry. All added slowly over 6 months. Since I had a legal case going I held off doing the official name change till recently, which is still ongoing. Around 6 months after starting HRT I feel I was 100% out though some details are still being worked out such as my voice. I have my bottom surgery scheduled for June which will be about 2 years from coming out.
Gina
  •  

big kim

I started self medicating in early 1990 & electrolysis. I was hanging out in a punk & rock club & on the gay scene. I already had pierced ears since 1977 & had grown my hair out to a Joan Jett style shag from a DA. I was getting mail fail after a year even without makeup & hiding my breast development.One day at work (I was a fork truck driver in a warehouse) one of the guys said "What are you doing you're looking younger than last year!"
I told him I was eating better (partly true) & had cut back on my drinking (again partly true). I was 32 & was thought to be 24ish.I was seen a few times in makeup & nail polish but it was assumed this was just part of the rock club customer look
I went full time shortly before my 34th birthday & it went a lot smoother than I expected
  •  

Jenn104

Technically speaking, I didn't.

I was ticking off where I was at with my therapist. I got to 'I have been presenting female for three weeks, ' paused.. and told her I had gone full time with out thinking about it.
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Sarah B

No I did not know that I  went fulltime.  However, after my epiphany and when I arrived in Sydney February 1989 as me, I got settled over the next couple of months. The number of times that I had to present as my previous self was small. In side of 3 months, I was working full time. Therefore one could say I was living as I wanted to live as a female from April 1989.

At the time I did not know that I was fulltime, because the information, was non existent about my condition and I was very naive as well at the time.

Kind regards to one an all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

davina61

As soon as I came out at work, living on my own there was nothing to stop me.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

TXSara

I'm sure this will come as a surprise (uh, yeah, Sara... it's not a surprise at all) but I had mine planned down to the day.

The last couple months of presenting male was a bit of a struggle (I still was given the ma'am treatment every once in a while and loved it), but I wanted there to be a very significant and clean break so that it was obvious to people that I now wanted to be addressed as Sara and I wanted to be addressed with female pronouns.

I chose to wait until I had come back from my FFS and after I had gotten extensions for my hair.  It was a pretty significant outward transformation in a very short period of time.  It was also right after my ex and I had completed our meetings with the mediator on the divorce.  I really didn't want to go through that with the additional stress of being "newly" full time. 

It worked out pretty well.  I made the switch and never looked back.  I enjoyed the HECK out of that trip to Goodwill to donate all my male clothes.

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

KathyLauren

The decision to go full-time was made even before I started my transition.  It was knowing that I had to live as myself that prompted me to start.

As for when to do it, I knew that I wanted a few months on HRT first, to feminize my appearance a bit.  I also knew that I couldn't leave it too long in case I got outed by breast development.  Three months felt about right, and as the time grew closer, it felt more right.

The specific timing was determined by meetings of various groups I was a member of.  I knew that the local kaffeeklatsch had to be the first group I told.  They were mostly women and I knew that, if I wanted their support, I could not disrespect them by letting them hear about me on the grapevine.  That meant it had to be a Thursday.

I also needed to tell the volunteer fire department in person, because those folks have each other's backs.  Disrespecting them was not an option.  So I had to time my coming out for a week when they were having their regular business meeting, which was always on a Monday.  But that meant a four-day wait between the kaffeeklatsch and the fire department, lots of time for gossip to spread.  So on the Wednesday night before the kaffeeklatsch group met, I phoned the fire chief and told him what was up.  That way, if gossip reached him and someone asked, "Hey, did you hear about ____?", he could say, "Yes, I knew.  You'll hear more on Monday."

Other groups got told by mass email that same week.  So there was a flurry of activity, but then it was like flipping a switch.  Thursday morning, I went full-time and never looked back.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I will let you know after I realize the answer!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I returned to my therapist recently.  I am trying to get better clarification as to why I have not committed myself to go full time.  I am making some progress and gaining some insights.  I will continue these sessions with her.

Onward I go, where I will land, I just do not know.  Hey, that rhymed.

Chrissy

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Faith

This is about as individualized decision as there can be.  I was out full-time about 2 months after I started questioning and 2 months before I started HRT. give or take a few days in there.
I left the door open, only a few came through. such is my life.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Faith on February 13, 2024, 11:44:16 AMThis is about as individualized decision as there can be.  I was out full-time about 2 months after I started questioning and 2 months before I started HRT. give or take a few days in there.

I agree. 

Chrissy
  •  

Jessica_K

Well as a lot of people know, I have my own version of full time. As full time as is possible.

Ok so I cannot claim full time I know, but perhaps a total reverse of many that cannot claim such. I am full time at work, with my friends and my side of the family. Whenever I am not with Kay I am fully out. This can include a couple of days to the whole week away for my work, only 3 days this week.

I went big bang as soon as I could after notifying work and was Jessica the following Monday some near 5 years ago. I did some dry runs and they were a bit daunting. Only a few weeks on HRT and no training or counselling I had waited 66 years I did not need anyone to justify my existence to.

I am very lucky not only to pass but to be stealth with my friends, and work.

I have only ever taken HRT, no surgeries yet to look at me you would think I had had SRS, no voice training, but I never stop talking. Friends, strangers, hotel staff always have something to say to someone, no hair removal but have no hair on my body apart from a where a lady should. Only down side of no hair is that it also means my head too, not bald but poor, thin and a lot missing. So it's wigs for me.

I had mastered most makeup before the bang but to this day I have not mastered eyeliner, I have no lower eyelashes and very short top lashes so get the best from eyeshadow and mascara. Now I can slap it on (subtle) in 10-15 mins in the car lol

So I leave it to the jury, am I honorary full time?

Hugs
Jessica xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Mariah

Quote from: Jessica_K on February 13, 2024, 05:25:53 PMWell as a lot of people know, I have my own version of full time. As full time as is possible.

Ok so I cannot claim full time I know, but perhaps a total reverse of many that cannot claim such. I am full time at work, with my friends and my side of the family. Whenever I am not with Kay I am fully out. This can include a couple of days to the whole week away for my work, only 3 days this week.

I went big bang as soon as I could after notifying work and was Jessica the following Monday some near 5 years ago. I did some dry runs and they were a bit daunting. Only a few weeks on HRT and no training or counselling I had waited 66 years I did not need anyone to justify my existence to.

I have only ever taken HRT, no surgeries yet to look at me you would think I had had SRS, no voice training, but I never stop talking. Friends, strangers, hotel staff always have something to say to someone, no hair removal but have no hair on my body apart from a where a lady should. Only down side of no hair is that it also means my head too, not bald but poor, thin and a lot missing. So it's wigs for me.

I had mastered most makeup before the bang but to this day I have not mastered eyeliner, I have no lower eyelashes and very short top lashes so get the best from eyeshadow and mascara. Now I can slap it on (subtle) in 10-15 mins in the car lol

Hugs
Jessica xxx

Jessica,

You and you alone decide what counts as full time for you. Everyone's journey is different and what everyone needs from their gender journey is different too. As long as you feel it counts, it counts. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: Jessica_K on February 13, 2024, 05:25:53 PMWell as a lot of people know, I have my own version of full time. As full time as is possible.

Hugs
Jessica xxx

I would say you are full-time, because you only crossdress at home.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Jessica_K

Sarah B

Hi  Jessica_K

I'm very sorry, but I have to tell you, "you are not honorary full time".  You are full time, no if's, no butt's, no excuses, I repeat you are full time.  Repeat after me, "I'm full time".  There, that was not so hard was it?

Why? the following reasons are abundantly clear as to why you are full time:

• I went big bang as soon as I could after notifying work and was Jessica the following Monday some near 5 years ago. I did some dry runs and they were a bit daunting. Only a few weeks on HRT and no training or counselling I had waited 66 years I did not need anyone to justify my existence to.
  • I am very lucky not only to pass but to be stealth with my friends, and work.
  • I have only ever taken HRT, no surgeries yet to look at me you would think I had had SRS, no voice training, but I never stop talking. Friends, strangers, hotel staff always have something to say to someone, no hair removal but have no hair on my body apart from a where a lady should. Only down side of no hair is that it also means my head too, not bald but poor, thin and a lot missing. So it's wigs for me.
  • I had mastered most makeup before the bang but to this day I have not mastered eyeliner, I have no lower eyelashes and very short top lashes so get the best from eyeshadow and mascara. Now I can slap it on (subtle) in 10-15 mins in the car lol

In regards to surgery.  If you are able to get SRS or you are not able to.  Then you will still be to me full time.

You think you are the only female that has no lower eyelashes and short top lashes, I'm sure their are other ladies with the same condition.

One final thing could you please explain the following paragraph, , I was unable to completely, understand it:

Quote from: Jessica_K on February 13, 2024, 05:25:53 PMOk so I cannot claim full time I know, but perhaps a total reverse of many that cannot claim such. I am full time at work, with my friends and my side of the family. Whenever I am not with Kay I am fully out. This can include a couple of days to the whole week away for my work, only 3 days this week.

Take care and please no negativity on your part.  Best wishes and all the best for the future

Love and Hugs Always
Sarah B
@  Jessica_K
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

BlueJaye

About 2.5 years into transitioning, I had been pretty consistently gendered as a woman for about six months out in public even wearing men's clothing. I knew it was time, but still had anxieties about my marriage and job. Finally, one day I was at a supermarket in line to pay for some groceries, and these two older ladies behind me made some rude remarks about me, saying "that stupid bit*h will never be a man". They thought I was a trans guy and were trying to mock me. That was the final straw for me. I no longer had to worry about people thinking I was a man in women's clothing, people saw me as a woman in men's clothing. So, it was time to take the plunge.
  •  

Nadine Spirit

After much debate, and delay, and denial, I finally changed my hormones in July of 2017. I was immediately faced with my employer discriminating against me by not paying for my hormones. I took my employer to the EEOC and charged them with discrimination. They were paying for my wife's hormones and were not paying for my almost identical prescription. In that meeting they told me they would gladly pay for my hormones if I legally changed my gender to female. I agreed. They told me I didn't have to change my name and I laughed and told them that of course I would also be changing my name. They didn't make me do it, they just moved my timeline to move forward significantly. However, even up to my court date I wasn't really sure how I would present and what I would expect of those around me. But as the date moved closer and closer, and then I finally had my day in court, I decided that it was all such a pain in the butt that yeah, for sure I was going to be full time. That was June 28th, 2018.