Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How did you pick your name?

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 03, 2024, 07:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

I wanted to keep my initials. I didn't want my new first name to be the same or similar to any friends or co-workers. I researched common female baby names and picked out a few that I liked. I also considered potential nicknames which people could derive from the new name. Once I settled on 'Jessica', I researched baby names. I wanted a short middle name which would balance nicely with my new first name. There weren't that many 'R' names I liked, but 'Rose' caught my eye quickly. 'Rose' also symbolized my soul finally being able to bloom. When I signed up for Susan's Place, I became 'Jessica Rose'. Before making it official, I gave a list of several potential names to my wife and daughters, which included names based on my daughter's middle names. Interestingly, they all agreed on 'Jessica Rose'.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Devlyn

My best friend Tina named me. Her suggestions were Emily (which I liked) and Devlyn (which I loved!). When I asked her where she came up with it, she said her daughter was going to be Shannon or Devlyn, and Shannon won.

I changed all of my names, first, middle, and last. I wanted a complete break.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Gwendoline

I asked my mother my initial name and when she said it, I loved it and she told she would be happy if I used it.
  •  

D'Amalie

Richelle is the feminine form of Richard, used in mostly English, French and German speaking countries.  Amalie is a girl's name of German and French origin.

Familial origin and heritage supplied the names.  Besides, they are pretty, yes?
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Jenn104

My story always leaves support groups laughing, so feel free to do so.

My birth name initials are MR -last name-. Yup, mom put mister in my name, which she admits is a flub of colossal proportions.

I tried out a few first names and kept coming back to Jennifer. I thought seriously about Karen as a middle name. I know 3 Karens who read me the riot act.. and settled on an anagram of my sister's middle name. She has Jean, I have Jane.

Jennifer Jane

"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

CaelaNotKayla

I had a name as a little girl that I loved so much I gave it to one of my kids!  So then I thought "Let's keep the initials" and found a new first name I loved- but I couldn't find a middle name that matched.  So I gave up on keeping my original initials and took my late wife's first name as a middle name!

Hugs!!

Caela
"Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold"- Demi Lovato
  •  

davina61

I just feminised my male names, felt right so ended up Davina Martina
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

RobynTx

I kept my initials as well.  That was important to me.  I always liked the name Robyn so went with that.  My youngest son was given my middle name so felt I had to keep that.  Otherwise it would have been changed to Siobhan.

•  

ClaireBlooming

I chose 'Claire' partially because it has the same first letter as my male name.  But a lot of it for me was just gut feeling.  It just felt right.
  •  

EllenW

My late wife picked Ellen. I was actually looking for a middle name that started with E in order to have the same initials. She came up with Ellen and when I told her l liked it it would be my middle name she said no, make it my first name.

I am very happy with my name and very thankful she picked it.

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: EllenW on January 11, 2024, 07:15:42 PMMy late wife picked Ellen. I was actually looking for a middle name that started with E in order to have the same initials. She came up with Ellen and when I told her l liked it it would be my middle name she said no, make it my first name.

I am very happy with my name and very thankful she picked it.

Ellen

What a beautiful, unforgettable memory you will always have.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Susannah

It will sound strange.  For many years, I felt like there was another being inside of me.  Her personality was nothing like how I was.  Yet over the years, my personality took on more and more of hers.  It almost feet like I am becoming more like her.  I know now that she was me all along.  I have always known her name.  That is how I got the name Susannah.
  •  

Athena

I was going to use the name Julie but my neighbour and friend said that choosing a name based on my first crush wasn't a good idea. I then decided to let her daughter who will likely have no kids name me. She came up with Athena Sophia and I was looking up last names and saw the name Katz and I always joked to my friends that I was going to become a crazy cat lady so I am in the process of changing my name to Athena Sophia Katz.
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •  

traciknight

I was actually looking for a pen name to publish my novels under. I selected Traci from Traci Lords as I was writing in the Erotica genre. M because I thought an initial would be cool, then my first therapist was Melissa and that is a name I had long thought about. Knight, because it sounded like a name an author might have.

Hence, Traci Melissa Knight or as I publish under Traci M Knight
Traci M Knight

•  

TXSara

I have always known that my parents went to the hospital with two names, Brian and Sara.  When I was AMAB, I got Brian.  When I made my transition, I felt like it would be a nice tribute to my mom and dad to let them name me.  I'm glad I did.  It suits me.

I chose my middle name as a tribute to my big sister.  She has always been a great role model to me for what a kind and caring human being should be like.  I love her very much, and I'm proud to be Sara Michelle.

As a funny side note, my mom asked me (after I had petitioned the court for my name change) how I spell Sara.  When I told her, she let me know that it was supposed to have an "h".  Sorry, Mom.  I don't like the 'h' -- it's totally unnecessary  ;) .

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Devlyn

Quote from: TXSara on January 13, 2024, 06:21:11 AMI have always known that my parents went to the hospital with two names, Brian and Sara.  When I was AMAB, I got Brian.  When I made my transition, I felt like it would be a nice tribute to my mom and dad to let them name me.  I'm glad I did.  It suits me.

I chose my middle name as a tribute to my big sister.  She has always been a great role model to me for what a kind and caring human being should be like.  I love her very much, and I'm proud to be Sara Michelle.

As a funny side note, my mom asked me (after I had petitioned the court for my name change) how I spell Sara.  When I told her, she let me know that it was supposed to have an "h".  Sorry, Mom.  I don't like the 'h' -- it's totally unnecessary  ;) .

~Sara

Fixed that for ya!  ;D

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

TXSara

That's weird... it looks like something went wrong when I posted.  I know how to spell LOL.  I have no idea how that happened! (maybe the second "p" will get removed when I post!)
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

Stéphanie.FR

My mom had a thing with the name Laurence for a girl, as both my brother and I should have been one if assigned female at birth. For many reasons, I don't really like the name, but would maybe use it as a middle name in due time. There's many name I liked and played with in the past, but I wanted too to keep my initials, so I listed names beginning with a S. I ended by feminizing my male name, thinking that it would be easier for family and friends (if I keep some), to name me correctly first times. (Just adding the final "ie" to the pronunciation of my male name, even with a short delay, to correct a mistake).
  •  

Zoey Starr

Mine was the last name on the list and 4 letters like Cher. Perfect fit!
  •  

Paulie

I just feminized my given name.  There are several female derivatives of Paul to chose from, the oblivious Paula and Pauline.  I had considered them both.  I went with Paulie because of a nickname my parents used when I was a young kid.  I was thin and wiry, and could sit on the ground with my legs tucked under me and kind of out to the sides, so I got the name pollyfrog.

I thought of using Polly but went with Paulie instead.  When I picked the name, it was just for Susan's since at the time I had not planned transitioning, so I hadn't given any thought to a middle name.  Guess I could adapt the female version of my Italian middle name, if I ever get to the point where I think I need one. 

I really like the name Pauline and kind of wish I went with it.  Overall, I think Paulie is a better choice in that it's more gender-neutral.  I don't think I'll ever pass and having a gender-neutral name may work better, should I ever decide to use the name outside of Susan's. 

Warm Regards,

Paulie
  •