News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Regrowing hair?

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 03, 2024, 07:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

« on: January 01, 2021, 06:07:37 am »
There are many components to hair loss. One of the bigger causes is Dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Finasteride can help. I kept taking it even after I was prescribed estradiol and spironolactone.

Rogaine, or a generic equivalent, may also help. I used it for a year or two and thought it was helping, but it could have just been wishful thinking. It doesn't hurt to try, and it's available without a prescription.

There are some supplements which many people believe help hair growth. Biotin is probably the most popular. In addition to hair, it seems to help strengthen nails. Many stores sell it as something to help 'Hair, Skin, and Nails'. I take some every day. I am fairly confident it is helping my nails, but I can't really tell if it helped my hair.

The one supplement I've tried which I think is helping my hair is 'Viviscal'. About a year ago my stylist noticed some new hair, and it's appearance seems to line up with when I began taking Viviscal. The packaging recommends two tablets per day, but I have only been taking one.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

davina61

With nothing more than HRT I have some regrowth on top, not enough of course but its defiantly filled in a bit.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

Courtney G

I've been very focussed on hair restoration since coming out to myself (before that, really) and I have hair replacement surgery next week. But over the past 4 years, I've regrown quite a bit of hair. I'd been using topical minoxidil for many years, but added finasteride 4 years ago in order to suppress the DHT. That, along with herbals, caused budding and a bit of breast development, which encouraged me to pursue physical transition.

We know that suppressing DHT is critical to preventing hair loss, and will also allow hairs to regrow if they haven't been gone for two long. Finasteride and dutasteride are two common medications which are used for this. DHT is a "stronger" form of testosterone, so suppressing testosterone will reduce or eliminate the need to suppress DHT. Basically: no T=no DHT.

I've read several studies that state that higher estrogen levels promote scalp hair regrowth. Since starting HRT, I've regrown even more hair.

There are other "treatments", such is microneedling the scalp, laser scalp therapy, and hair regrowth compounds. The effectiveness of these treatments is a matter of debate, but most agree that they don't hurt.

But there's one thing that recently occurred to me, which I feel I need to share with others:

When I became aware of the fact that my hair was thinning, I became very fearful of doing anything that I thought would make it worse. I was afraid to wear hats. Afraid to scrub my scalp too vigorously when washing my hair. Even afraid of brushing it - for many years, I've just run my fingers through my hair to set it in place after applying minoxidil.

The idea was that any agitation would hasten the loss of my hair. I believe this to have been a major mistake on my part. Hairs fall out because of atrophy of the root. Minoxidil increases blood flow to the follicles, which helps prevent this, and can encourage some regrowth. Never touching one's scalp doesn't exactly promote bloodflow.

Because I always had thick, curly hair, I favored those stiff styling brushes that have relatively few bristles, with a plastic ball on the end of each bristle. If you look at the description for those brushes, most are described as "scalp massage" or "scalp and hair care" brushes.

I've been doing it all wrong. Now, I brush my hair a lot. I feel a bit like Rapunzel or Marsha Brady while doing it, but the result is that my scalp gets a bit red and tingly. Doing it this way gets the blood flowing and bloodflow is GOOD. And you know what? I look down in the sink and there aren't a bunch of hairs there, as I feared there would be.

Something to think about.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Susan

CaelaNotKayla

The lovely unexpected benefit of HRT for me has been regrowth.  Spiro + Minoxidil for me, and it's definitely starting to fill back in.  Will it be a perfect teenage girl's head of hair- nope, but even if it's the thinned out 90year old hair my mom has it would be wonderful!

Hugs!!

Caela
"Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold"- Demi Lovato
  •  

D'Amalie

I haven't noticed a change after spiro for at least two years and HRT for the last three.  I just see a receding thinning of late middle age.  I thought my hair would stop thinning.  Alas, no.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Gwendoline

During my HRT I had a time off hair loss, therefore I got a mix of destilleert water, alcohol and estrogen to spray on my head and massage it after spraying. I used it for about a year and worked fine to stop hairloss. Fortunately I did not got empty spots.
  •  

Jessica_K

Pretty much a lost cause me.

My hair was always thin and for 66 years, before taking HRT, the damage was done. I have had some regrowth, I can feel the difference from the nothing before and a fluff that is there now, but it will never recover.

I am not precious of my natural hair as I am pragmatic and wear a good wig all the time. It's funny, but only family who know me as Jessica has ever seen me without the wig, and of my family I am often told to never change my hair style as it's a part of me.

To me, my precious is the wig. It defines me.

Hugs
Jessica xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

Donica

Question, do any of these hair regrowth products cause unwanted hair growth in other areas, like facial hair, arms, or chest?

Donica
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

My Finasteride seems to keep my hair full with no male pattern baldness.
I doubt that it would regrow hair but perhaps it helps to prevent hair loss.
Seems to work.  I do not think that Estradiol helps the head hair; however, my body hair lightened and became less dense. Less to wax, shave, and otherwise remove.
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Courtney G

Quote from: Donica on January 21, 2024, 04:08:56 PMQuestion, do any of these hair regrowth products cause unwanted hair growth in other areas, like facial hair, arms, or chest?

Donica

There are warnings about not getting topical minoxidil on parts of your body other than your scalp, for that reason. But truly, you'd have to "accidentally" get it on the same part repeatedly for many months for that to happen. The biggest unwanted side effect in women using the product is accidental facial hair growth, but I tend to believe it's not from application to ones scalp; it's from repeatedly getting it on your face.

Oral minoxidil is a different story. As I understand it, unwanted hair growth can be indiscriminate.

Finasteride helps to regrow scalp hair by working to block the DHT hormone. I doesn't promote unwanted hair growth. As a matter of fact, it *could* be used topically by women to prevent unwanted facial hair growth.

But don't take my word for it - please consult with a professional.

In other news, I had hair replacement surgery one week ago (as I mentioned above). I'm beyond thrilled at both the results and the prospects for my scalp's future, as well as for the implications for my transition. I've not been able to get beyond my receding hairline and while wigs are a great solution for many, they never felt right for me. Now I must wait: most of the transplanted hairs will likely be "shed" due to the trauma of the transplant procedure, and will slowly start to regrow after that. This means it will likely be a couple/few months before I have a fuzzy coat up there, let alone hair that I could brush or style. But I don't mind waiting.

•  

Susan

Quote from: Courtney G on January 04, 2024, 09:50:48 AMI've been very focussed on hair restoration since coming out to myself (before that, really) and I have hair replacement surgery next week.
I've been doing it all wrong. Now, I brush my hair a lot. I feel a bit like Rapunzel or Marsha Brady while doing it, but the result is that my scalp gets a bit red and tingly. Doing it this way gets the blood flowing and bloodflow is GOOD. And you know what? I look down in the sink and there aren't a bunch of hairs there, as I feared there would be.

Something to think about.

Courtney, your focus and persistence in hair restoration, especially as it intertwines with your journey of self-discovery and transition, is both commendable and inspiring. Your approach, combining finasteride, minoxidil, and herbal remedies, clearly demonstrates a comprehensive strategy towards hair regrowth, and it's encouraging to hear about your positive results.

Your insights into the role of DHT in hair loss and the benefits of hormonal adjustments are not only informative but also deeply relevant for many in similar situations. The way you've managed to intertwine your treatment for hair loss with your process of transition is particularly noteworthy. It's a powerful example of how personal health initiatives can align with and support broader life changes.

The various treatments you've explored, such as microneedling and laser scalp therapy, add valuable perspective to the ongoing discussion about effective hair restoration methods. Your experiences and observations contribute significantly to a field where personal stories often provide the most practical insights.

Your realization about the psychological aspects of hair loss, and how overcoming certain fears led to a more proactive approach to scalp care, is particularly impactful. Embracing regular scalp stimulation through brushing, and noticing the positive effects, not only on your hair but also on your overall well-being, is a testament to the importance of challenging our assumptions and fears.

Sharing your journey, including the upcoming hair replacement surgery, could be incredibly beneficial to others who might be facing similar challenges or contemplating similar paths. Your story is not just about hair restoration; it's about personal growth, overcoming fears, and embracing change. It's a powerful narrative that could provide hope, inspiration, and practical advice to many.

Thank you for opening up about your experiences and thoughts. Your journey is a beacon of hope and a source of practical wisdom for anyone navigating hair restoration as part of their personal transformation.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: D'Amalie

Courtney G

Quote from: Susan on January 21, 2024, 09:06:21 PMThank you for opening up about your experiences and thoughts. Your journey is a beacon of hope and a source of practical wisdom for anyone navigating hair restoration as part of their personal transformation.

Thank you, Susan. If it's acceptable here, I can post progress photos as I move through the process. While nothing I have is really graphic, the photo taken after the transplant process was completed is a little gross, with red dots present all over my scalp. Please let me know if you think it's ok to post that.

Regarding microneedling, I have to add the following: the surgery center told me that many of their customers go overboard with this and end up with scarring and damage, which ends up having the opposite of the intended effect. If you're considering microneedling (or are already doing it), please do some research to be sure you're doing it properly. More isn't always better.

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Susan

Susan

You should have the ability to attach photos so feel free. Drag the file into the click or drag files here to attach them, or click in the box to open a file explorer ui to select the image.

Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

big kim

Had a bald spot at the crown that filled in with HRT after 18 months. I had a lot of hair loss & thinning at the crown & scalp in 2022 due to stress (masive dental bill & internet repair bill both at once!), rapid weight loss due to poor diet paying the above bills, 2 doses of strong antibiotics in 6 weeks due to celulitis & a blocked saliva duct. Got some regrowth with collagen & biotin, extra vitamins etc. My hairdresser & doctor think it looks good for someone of 66 so can't compain too much! I'm able to conceal the thin area with updos, buns braids etc
  •  

Courtney G

Quote from: Susan on January 22, 2024, 12:17:17 PMYou should have the ability to attach photos so feel free. Drag the file into the click or drag files here to attach them, or click in the box to open a file explorer ui to select the image.

Thanks. I'm going to wait a while (possibly a couple of months) before I do, so I can post something that resembles a proper timeline. In the meantime, if anyone has any questions about the process (including the costs), please feel free to ask!

•  

Kay226

I have some receding hair above my temples. It is hereditary. I tried minoxidil for over a year and it didn't work. I am taking biotin. I also drink green tea for health reasons and read that it can help block DHT, so I figure that may help stop the loss, at least I am hoping. I have let my hair grow long. I brush my hair to one side, so that helps. I also use volumizing shampoo which I think helps. My stylist told me that she can use a clip in hair extension and shape it to cover the spots so that is an option for me.
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
quote by Mary Oliver

The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.
quote by Elizabeth Gilbert
  •