Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Allie's Blog IV: Revenge of Allie's Blog

Started by imallie, January 03, 2024, 08:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imallie

Hey all - hard not to buy into the New Year/fresh start idea... so yeah, no looking back, I guess!

I did use the old blog as a way to remind myself of past milestones, dates, etc (sometimes I'd review it before a therapy session just so I could remember where we left off and what she knew, and what she didn't know... so I wouldn't repeat stories!) but now I suppose I'll have to rely on my memory starting in 2024.

Lord have mercy on us all.  ;)

Love,
Allie

P.S. I do have some updates from the holidays... but I'm going to wait until I'm done with the "probation" period and I can figure out how to update my profile and all that housekeeping first.
  •  

REM.1126

Happy New Year.

(Damn it, no one said there would be a math test today.)
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Old and Cranky is just happy you're beginning again.
  •  

davina61

Welcome back !! Cant decide if I continue on with my old blog or the new one and where is that like button?
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

imallie

Quote from: davina61 on January 04, 2024, 03:56:45 AMWelcome back !! Cant decide if I continue on with my old blog or the new one and where is that like button?

Isn't that little "thumbs up" at the bottom of each post the like button now? I haven't tried to push one yet but that's what I would assume.

I kind of think you should start fresh ... since you wouldn't truly be 'continuing' the old blog — unless you had been in a coma for the last four years.  ;D
  •  

imallie

Come to think of it, I suppose I should do a quick "intro" for new folks, and, you know, since I'm a newbie here.  ;)

I'm 57 years old, and while my first, vivid, memories of a strong sense that my outer candy shell didn't match my inner nougat filling began in third grade, I spend the next 50 or so years trying to make those feelings go away.
Extremely happily married, with a wonderful son... when he graduated college in 2021 I had increasingly found the episodes of deeply longing to address the situation and not being able to push it away getting longer and longer, and my ability to suppress them shorter and shorter.
So in January of 2022 I began working with a gender therapist (my wife thinking I was talking to someone about panic attacks which I'd increasingly had... which, while technically true, was a lie with with I was quite uncomfortable).
Later that summer, after our 30th wedding anniversary, I came out to my wife. It was the single hardest thing I've ever done. We talked all night that night, and she came home from work the next day crying... and has not shed another tear since. She has been unbelievable supportive and amazing every single day since then.
The mantra I used when coming out to her was this: "I would rather go slowly together, than quickly on my own." — meaning, the pace of this would always be when she was ready.
A few months later she suggested I start electrolysis (which I've now been doing for about 15 months... maybe halfway done?), she later suggested voice which I did, and in April of this year I started hormones.
A quick side note - I suffer from something called chronic daily cluster/migraines. If you've never heard of a cluster headache — that's great. Usually to have heard of them means to know someone with experience with them, and that's no good. They're called "alarm clock headaches" or by their no-so-nice name: "suicide headaches."  Anyway, for the last 10 years I was forced to leave a job I loved because of all this... I have about 14 hours of migraine every day, and a cluster headache once per night, at exactly 1:07 am.
I mention that only because it was and continues to be a complicating factor in my hormone journey.  We started slowly to make sure it wouldn't make things worse (that would have been the ballgame if it had) and have increased slowly over time.
My lead neurologist, who was against the hormones, actually put the odds at 70% making things worse, 20% the same, 10% better.  So far I've had a dramatic decrease in cluster frequency (which could be related to my other treatments)... but good news is that so far I'm safely in the 30%.
You'll notice I haven't mentioned telling our son. Well we wanted to wait until we knew the hormones were going to be possible, and now that they seem established we've just been looking for an opportunity to have the talk. It was supposed to happen over the holidays but it didn't. More on that later.

But that is me, in a nutshell.  And if you know me, I really lean towards the "nut" in nutshell.  ;D

Love,
Allie
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Jessica_Rose

Welcome back, Allie! Thanks for the intro, sometimes it's difficult for me to keep up with (and remember) everyone's story.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on January 04, 2024, 07:23:08 AMWelcome back, Allie! Thanks for the intro, sometimes it's difficult for me to keep up with (and remember) everyone's story.

Love always -- Jess

No worries, Jess, it's a lot to keep up with! A lot of folks, I mean.

I should have started that whole post with: "Previously on..." like they do on TV 😂
  •  

Oldandcreaky

•  

EllenW

Allie,

I for one am looking forward to seeing more of your creations in the kitchen.

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

Sephirah

There's my favourite soon-to-be Michelin Star chef. <3

Also... that really weirds me out that you're 57. I mean... I kind of wouldn't have put you more than late 30s at the most. But as they say... life isn't how long you live, it's how much you live.
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Sephirah on January 04, 2024, 01:42:22 PMThere's my favourite soon-to-be Michelin Star chef. <3

Also... that really weirds me out that you're 57. I mean... I kind of wouldn't have put you more than late 30s at the most. But as they say... life isn't how long you live, it's how much you live.

Now, when someone sees you in person and says "you're 57? I would have pegged you for your late 30's" it's a lovely compliment on how young you look!

However... when, without photos, someone just reads your stories and experiences and says "wow I thought you were 20 years younger" you have an immaturity issue 🤦😉😂❤️
  •  

Sephirah

Girl, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't need to see you to know how vibrant you are, how full of life you are. You're witty, erudite, charming and... well... just awesome. You're like.. forgive me for saying this... you're like seeing the OG "Snow White" for the first time and not realising it was made before you were born.

You aren't immature, Allie. If anything, quite the opposite. But you temper it in a way that's relevant to everyone. Kind of like Oldandcreaky. I'm half convinced she isn't old, or creaky. :P Some people just know how to engage with people. Where age is irrelevant.

Just sayin', though, I have the image of you in my head of Monica from "Friends". Only not quite so neurotic.
  •  

TXSara

Quote from: imallie on January 04, 2024, 03:11:03 PMHowever... when, without photos, someone just reads your stories and experiences and says "wow I thought you were 20 years younger" you have an immaturity issue

Ha!  Too funny Allie!  Great to see you again!

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

D'Amalie

Another example of marrying the correct partner.  I'd say she loves you!  March on, darling!
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Sephirah on January 04, 2024, 03:35:50 PMGirl, there's nothing wrong with that. I don't need to see you to know how vibrant you are, how full of life you are. You're witty, erudite, charming and... well... just awesome. You're like.. forgive me for saying this... you're like seeing the OG "Snow White" for the first time and not realising it was made before you were born.

You aren't immature, Allie. If anything, quite the opposite. But you temper it in a way that's relevant to everyone. Kind of like Oldandcreaky. I'm half convinced she isn't old, or creaky. :P Some people just know how to engage with people. Where age is irrelevant.

Just sayin', though, I have the image of you in my head of Monica from "Friends". Only not quite so neurotic.

Well never before have I so woefully failed at making a joke and somehow walked directly into a lovely compliment. I'll have to try being unfunny more often.

(I know what SOME of you are thinking, and even as we speak, I am preparing retribution...)

Seriously, though, that's awfully sweet of you to say, Sephirah

Love,
Allie
  •  

imallie

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 04, 2024, 03:53:08 PMAnother example of marrying the correct partner.  I'd say she loves you!  March on, darling!

Oh for sure. I try very hard to remind myself every day how lucky I am to be with my wife. And that sentiment long predates the transition chapter of our story.
  •  

Sephirah

I kind of think Brits and Americans have a very different sense of humour, lol. Or maybe it's just me and the rest of the world. ;D

It's said that Americans don't get irony. Is that actually true? My education mostly comes from YouTube videos. But then most of the stuff that comes up in my recommended suggestions is Americans reacting to British comedy... and I think some of it is done for views. So, I dunno.

I will say, as a Brit, I am the ultimate heretic and don't find Monty Python remotely funny. Or drink tea...
  •  

imallie

Quote from: Sephirah on January 04, 2024, 04:30:46 PMI kind of think Brits and Americans have a very different sense of humour, lol. Or maybe it's just me and the rest of the world. ;D

It's said that Americans don't get irony. Is that actually true? My education mostly comes from YouTube videos. But then most of the stuff that comes up in my recommended suggestions is Americans reacting to British comedy... and I think some of it is done for views. So, I dunno.

I will say, as a Brit, I am the ultimate heretic and don't find Monty Python remotely funny. Or drink tea...

Well I'm a big fan of the British sense of humour (see what I did there?). Grew up with Monty Python, and am "tea tolerant" (a chai tea latte is pretty much the only thing I can order when forced to go to Starbucks... but not really sure that even qualifies as "tea")

I got my wife into Taskmaster, which is one of my favorite shows. It's just pure joy.
  •  

Allison R

I have always found British humor to be the best. Nothing like the understated. A joke you didn't see coming, or don't get til later? I have two please! And for the record my ring tone on my phone is the Benny Hill theme. Although Monty Python's The Lumberjack Song might be more apropos.
  •