News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Facelift with Dr. Ley - Jessica Rose

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 04, 2024, 07:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 09, 2021, 07:26:34 am »
Around 7:30am on Tuesday, 16 Feb, I will be taking a long nap. Dr. Ley will be performing a facelift (rhytidectomy) in Scottsdale, AZ. She has performed all of my surgeries (except the trachea shave), and I have been very pleased with the results. Hopefully this will be my last 'big' surgery. Maybe it's ironic the day also marks my third anniversary of becoming Jessica full-time.

I have wanted a facelift since my journey started, I even asked about it when I scheduled my trachea shave three years ago with Dr. Murphy in Denver, CO. I'm glad I waited, because a facelift then would have just accentuated my jaw and chin as they were at the time. Now that I've had jaw and chin contouring, a facelift should highlight a more feminine jawline.

My pre-op appointment is at 9:00am on 15 Feb, with a COVID-19 test sometime that same day. The surgery is scheduled for 8 hours. It will include a SMAS facelift, a neck lift, and a cheek lift. The cheek work requires incisions inside my mouth, so they recommend a liquid diet for three days following surgery. I guess I need to stock up on some dark chocolate Ensure!

Susan and I originally planned to head down to Scottsdale on Sunday (14 Feb), but due to a potential winter storm moving in we now plan to head down a day early. Some friends will be staying at our house, taking care of our plants and His Royal Majesty -- Prince, our whippet. Due to COVID-19, no visitors are allowed in the hospital. Luckily, I only need to stay in the hospital for two nights. If all goes well, I should get the 'all clear' to head home on 23 Feb.

From everything I have read, most people are comfortable going out in public about two weeks after a facelift. Since masks are required in most places, I expect that will help a bit. I plan to take several 'before' photos, and will post photos as my healing progresses.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 10, 2021, 05:58:01 am »
I'm hopeful this will be the last major stop on my journey. After this, I can sit back and enjoy the ride...

My COVID-19 test is scheduled for Sunday (14 Feb). I called our hotel and adjusted our reservation for a Saturday arrival. We plan to leave early Saturday morning for the 800 mile drive down to Scottsdale. The weather forecast along our route still appears to be good for Saturday, with winter weather moving in Sunday.

Yesterday was Susan's birthday. I baked her a cake from scratch over the weekend -- my first ever. At her request, I made chicken marsala for supper yesterday -- another first. I can honestly say that was the best cake and chicken marsala I have ever made!

Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 12, 2021, 01:17:06 pm »
We started packing yesterday, and we plan to hit the road early Saturday morning. There is a winter storm approaching, but leaving Saturday should allow us to reach Scottsdale before the storm comes through Saturday evening. It will also be much warmer in Scottsdale, around 60 degrees warmer! Hopefully we will be able to enjoy the warm weather a bit before returning to the winter cold of Colorado.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 14, 2021, 08:47:25 am »
We left home Saturday morning at 7:00am. It was -1F with light snow. We finally saw the sun about an hour later near Pueblo, CO, along with some colorful sundogs! Soon after passing through Pueblo, we were once again encased in fog and light snow. Climbing up Raton Pass into New Mexico, we broke out of the fog into glorious sunlight! At the top of the pass, we were plunged back into fog and light snow. About 30 miles shy of Santa Fe, the fog lifted and the temperature finally climbed out of the 20's. We encountered some rain and light hail near the Arizona border, with temperatures in the upper 40's and low 50's. About 30 miles outside of Payson AZ, the temps were back into the mid-30's, and it was snowing again! We saw a beautiful sunset while driving through the Salt River valley on the Bee Line Highway (AZ 87). We reached our hotel in Scottsdale at 7:00pm, and a much welcomed air temperature of 66 degrees!

Susan and I are still setting up the hotel room. My COVID-19 test is at 11:30am. After that we will do a quick supply run before heading back to our hotel. We plan to stay in our room until my pre-op appointment Monday morning, then back to the room until I head to the hospital Tuesday morning at 5:30am.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 14, 2021, 02:59:08 pm »
My COVID-19 test was negative, and we have picked up our supplies. We're going out for a walk in a few minutes to enjoy the weather. Some friends told us it was -7F and snowing at our house this morning. It's sunny and mid-60's here!

I'm not looking forward to the recovery, been there too many times these last few years. However, I am looking forward to the results!

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 15, 2021, 06:37:44 am »
My COVID-19 test was much more comfortable this time. Instead of trying to swab my brain through my nose, they just swabbed the front of both nostrils. Within 30 minutes they sent the results -- NEGATIVE! Susan and I were at the Talking Stick Shopping Center when the results came back. We visited one store for a few minutes, then stopped at a Walmart to pick up provisions before heading back to our room. We picked up dinner from a nearby Olive Garden.

My pre-op appointment is at 9:00am this morning. We will pick up any new prescriptions on the way back to our hotel. We'll probably go for a walk this afternoon and take advantage of the beautiful weather here this week. Other than that, we will stay in our room. Tomorrow I will wake up early, shower, then head to the surgical center around 5:30am. Surgery is set for 7:30am and is scheduled to last around 8 hours.

Love always-- Jessica Rose
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 15, 2021, 10:57:54 am »
My pre-op went well. Dr. Ley said she would take care of the seroma left over from the jaw and chin work last October. She expects to be removing and inch or so of excess skin, while avoiding the 'windswept' look of overly aggressive facelifts. She also mentioned that my skin was in really good shape, which is amazing since I didn't start taking care of it until a few years ago. Dr. Ley does plan to install some drains, which will probably be removed the day I leave the hospital. Sutures will be removed at my post-op appointment Monday (22 Feb), and then we can head home. Susan and I picked up my new prescriptions on the way back to our hotel.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 15, 2021, 07:20:53 pm »
Only about 12 hours until surgery. I know Susan is worried, but I think she's looking forward to hitting the local shops without adult supervision! I plan to get up around 3:00am - 3:30am, shower, pack the barest of essentials in a tiny purse, then head over to the surgical center. I will only be taking my driver's license, car key, phone, charger, and cord. Susan will not be able to visit. Hopefully they'll bandage my glasses to my head like last time, otherwise using my phone will be somewhat difficult.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 16, 2021, 04:12:35 am »
I woke up at 2:45am. I've showered, washed my face with hibiclens, put on freshly laundered clothes, and now I wait. I'm thirsty (can't drink before surgery), hungry (can't eat before surgery), and tired... I'll be taking a long nap soon enough. The hospital is only a few minutes away, so I'll probably leave the hotel a few minutes after 5:00am. I'll get there early and just chill out with some tunes. With my head wrapped up, I won't be using ear buds for a few days.

The only emotion I have right now is anticipation. Dr. Ley mentioned that since she will be working 'in the area' anyway, she may do a little more work on my jawline. I expect some swelling, some discomfort, and hopefully eventually a reflection close to what I see when I close my eyes.

Surgery is scheduled to start at 7:30am and last eight hours, add a few hours for the anesthesia to wear off, and I expect to wake up in my room somewhere around 5:30pm - 7:30pm this evening.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 16, 2021, 06:44:53 am »
In the prep room at the surgery center now. Wearing a lovely green gown with a leaf motif, accented with a pastel yellow mask and grey slipper socks. Hooked up to an IV, they got it on their first try this time! The nurses also asked if I was a runner, because my heart rate is in the upper 40's. I use an elliptical machine three hours per week, and our house is at 7100 feet, so at lower altitudes my vitals are great. My blood test numbers were also good.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 16, 2021, 07:37:01 am »
Dr. Ley just stopped by and we talked for a few minutes. She mentioned they were still setting up the OR, so there may be a little delay, but everything else is fine. They brought me some warm blankets too, it's a bit chilly in here.  I'm Dr. Ley's only patient today, and she said she would be taking her time with me. I told her that would be fine, I didn't have any other plans for the day.

Dr. Ley mentioned she was thinking about me last night, the technical aspects of today's surgery. I know she will do her best for me, she always does her best...
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 16, 2021, 05:16:22 pm »
I'm. Awake. Thirsty, scratchy throat. But all seems well. Just really hard to type. Chocolate ice cream!
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 16, 2021, 08:03:13 pm »
Unfortunately, no visitors are allowed. The sides of my face are uncomfortable, everything else seems fine. Pushing the magic button for occasional pain management. Overall, not too bad. She did not do anything through my mouth. Amazing how much that nap time wore me out.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 16, 2021, 09:25:14 pm »
My first snack was chocolate ice cream, followed by something like sorbet, now some vanilla ice cream. I still feel somewhat groggy, but it could just because I feel really tired. The area in front of my ears is really sore, but other than that I feel good. I have the classic teletubby wrap on my head, a catheter, and some in inflatable wraps on my calves. Going to sleep soon. Expect I'll feel more alert tomorrow.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 17, 2021, 04:52:48 am »
It's been a long night. If I push the button on the pain pump, within a minute or two the heart rate monitor goes off. My blood pressure is also a bit low, so I'm trying not to push it very often. My ears are uncomfortable, like I slept on them folded over for a few days. My face is beginning to get sore, and some minor bruising is starting to show.  Compared to my previous surgeries, so far this one is much less uncomfortable. The nurses have been great, making sure I stay as comfortable as possible.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 17, 2021, 12:51:58 pm »
Good news and not so good news.

The good news is that Susan can visit me for a few hours this afternoon!

Not so good news is that the numbing agents used during surgery are wearing off. My whole face hurts now. Some bruising is starting to appear.  My ears feel like I slept on them while they were folded over, and the area under my chin feels like someone used it for a punching bag. I guess I better start pushing my pain pump button much more frequently for a while.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 17, 2021, 02:16:12 pm »
Dr. Ley just visited. She said everything is looking good. She wasn't able to do additional jaw work, but she was able to remove a lot of excess skin. There's no numbness, my smile works properly, and Dr. Ley was happy with how the surgery went. My head wrap stays on until tomorrow. My catheter comes out later today, and they want me to get in some laps around the floor this afternoon.

I'm feeling much better now, after taking some pain meds. Pain can be sneaky, slowly building up until it strikes with fury. Always be prepared...
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 17, 2021, 05:49:17 pm »
A little after 3:00pm, the nurse came in and disconnected all of the monitors and removed my catheter. The nurse commented that I made good urine, I told her that I had been practicing for a long time. She also brought me a walker. Although I was slow, it was great to get out of bed for a while. I had to cut my walk short when Susan arrived. She wasn't allowed to walk around inside the building with me, so we just went to my room and talked. Susan went back to the hotel after I finished supper.

Hopefully I'll catch up on sleep tonight, no more monitors to set off alarms. Tomorrow my head wrap comes off, they will remove the drains, and I can head back to the hotel. My post-op appointment is Monday morning. Once I get back to the hotel, I will post a photo or two.

Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 18, 2021, 10:59:24 am »
I slept better last night, but thanks to Flomax, I woke up every two hours or so to use the bathroom. Around 6:00am I asked for some pain meds. Within a few minutes I was feeling pretty good.  Breakfast was scrambled eggs, French toast, and sausage. After breakfast I did eight laps around the floor, which is about one mile. Dr. Ley came in around 9:00am and removed the bandages and drains. She said everything was looking really good. I can take a shower and wash my hair tomorrow, but I must be very gentle. I can leave the hospital this afternoon.
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Jessica_Rose

« on: February 18, 2021, 03:41:32 pm »
I'm back in the hotel now. Although this morning started off a bit rough, one percocet took care of it. When Dr. Ley removed the drains, it was completely painless, she didn't even give me a warning! My hair looks like I've got a good start on some dreadlocks, but tomorrow I can wash it and hopefully get things back under control. No earrings or face masks with ear loops for now.

My face feels a bit tight. When I pucker my lips, it feels like my ear lobes are wiggling! There are no areas which feel painful, just some general soreness around my tragus (those little flaps of skin in front of your ear). The underside of my chin is also a bit sore from the neck-lift. I'll post some photos later this evening. Fair warning, they may look a bit rough.

Love always --  Jessica Rose
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •