Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

Started by TXSara, January 04, 2024, 10:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXSara

Hi everyone --

I haven't been posting over the past few months, and the main reason for that is I have felt like things have been going well for me.  I don't like being "too" positive on the site because (a) it's not that interesting, and (b) I don't want to be one of those "Facebook trigger" people.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  They're insufferable.

Anyway, I think I'm going to start posting again because I am now going through a rough patch, and this may be helpful to others.  I am dealing with "anxious attachment" issues that are tied to my transition and how that affects my romantic relationships.

The backstory:

You all know about how I have made finding "my person" a top priority over the past year.  I have been going through prospective partners like crazy.  My friends used to like to ask me if I wanted to bring "guy du jour" to any parties / events that we went to.  Nobody knew names, but they knew I always had SOMEONE on the line.  Nothing ever stuck, and I really got tired of dealing with men.  I was always feeling like I was being treated as "damaged goods" or a "piece of meat" because I was trans.

I eventually got to the point where I realized that I'm MUCH more interested in women than men.  I also found a handful of women to date.  One person in particular was absolutely amazing.  She and I hit it off immediately through messages on the HER app, and we met in person soon after. 

Here are a few things that I really like about this person:  She is a beautiful 49-year-old bisexual woman (my age) who lives 15 minutes away, is well-educated, witty, and completely OK with me being transgender (with or without my extra appendage).  She's also a genuinely good and honest person who raised two daughters on her own.  I admire the heck out of her.  We quickly progressed to the point of being in a committed relationship.  I finally had found my person, and I was on cloud nine.

Here's where the <poo> hit the fan, though, folks.  I have never fully gotten over my "nobody will ever want me" transgender self-loathing.  I felt as though I didn't deserve her.  I would subconsciously overcompensate by trying too hard (and we all know how I'm a complete "try hard" person anyway LOL).  I would then feel like she was not that interested because she wasn't putting in as much effort as I was.  To add to that, I'm still a bit unsure about what the future holds for me sexually.  What am I going to like?  What turns me on anymore?  How do I express sexual love now and in the future?  I'm re-learning everything, and that causes me a lot of anxiety.  I worry a LOT that I won't be able to perform or satisfy my partner.

This all came to a head a few weeks ago when my GF had a 3-day migraine and wasn't very responsive during that time.  This was also at the end of a week where I had been struggling mentally with my upcoming GRS (long story for another time), and I really needed support.  I stayed up all night one night convincing myself that she wasn't that into me, and I acted out by letting her know that "my needs weren't being met" and that I "needed to be selfish for once and look out for myself".  Oof.  She responded by kicking me to the curb.  Can anyone say "self-destructive"?

We met up a few days later, and I was able to patch things up by explaining the entire series of events that led to this.  I felt like we were going to be OK.  The truth, though, is that she never really got over it, and I never really changed my behavior.  We split up for good a few days ago.

I'm heartbroken and devastated.  I had something special and blew it because I didn't feel like I was good enough.  Here's the thing, though.  I have recently realized that as irreplaceable as she was for me, I was much the same for her.  She has some medical issues that cause her to have a pretty small dating pool.  She can also be a bit difficult at times, and my personality type is one that handles her temper quite a bit better than most others.  She needs someone that is extremely supportive and easy-going, and I fit that bill perfectly.  If I weren't so danged anxious, I may have realized this a lot sooner.  She's going to be difficult for me to replace, but I'll be difficult for her to replace too.

I'm starting this new blog post because my original was lost in the "New Years Crash of 2023".  Truthfully, though, this problem is a completely new one.  The original story was more about my journey through transition, and this one will be more about me trying to be my best self.  I plan on embarking on a journey of self-healing, and I'll give updates on how things are going in this thread.  I'm hoping that maybe this will be helpful to others who feel similar levels of anxiety. 

Before I go, I want to make a very serious request.  Please don't respond with any discussions about my ex.  She deserves better than that.  She didn't do anything wrong here.  This post is not about my ex-GF, our relationship, or any attempts at getting back together with her.  That ship has sailed, IMO.  This is more about me doing the things I need to do to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen the NEXT time I find someone special.  It may be a long while before I find someone as wonderful as she was, but I always have hope – that's just who I am.

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Jessica_Rose

Sara, I expect nearly everyone who transitions (whether or not surgery is involved) will have relationship issues. Sometimes as a result of how they feel about themselves, or how they think others perceive them, or because of their own internal struggle simply trying to figure out who their authentic self is. This is an extremely important topic for many of us, and one that probably doesn't get a lot of thought prior to transition.

I wish you all the best as you work through this, and I hope one day you will find 'the' person.

By the way, welcome back.

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

EllenW

Sara,

I agree with Jess. I believe we all go through the phase of not knowing what we want in a relationship and not being confident enough to believe that we are capable of having a new relationships.

For me the turning point(s) was having my MDV gender surgery and now more recently a have PPT vaginoplasty. I now feel good enough to have a close relationship with another person. I am still not sure if I prefer a male or female partner, but I will have fun finding out.

Just let your new life unfold and you will find someone that you can love and who can love you back

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

TXSara

Well, the first order of business is to modify my therapy schedule / focus.  As much as I love Renee and all she has done for me during my transition, we have become a bit too familiar of late.  When I go into therapy nowadays, it is more like catching up with an old friend.  If I want to really make a change in my behaviors, I'm going to need to find someone different.

To that end, I'm going to start trying out new therapists.  The good news is that while my issues are definitely transgender "adjacent", the problem of an anxious attachment style is one that is fairly common in the larger population.  I'm not going to limit myself to people who specialize in gender-related issues.

I have started throwing out the net, so we'll see what comes back over the next few days.

~Sara

•  

tgirlamg

Hey My Sweet Lone Star Sister!...

You are back in the saddle here in Blogville and... YOU WILL be back back in the saddle in Romanceville in the days to come... With your beautiful adventurous spirit this is absolutely assured... Be gentle with yourself as you find your way... this is a new world where so very many new possibilities are now finally yours to seek out... your path from where you are now... to where you want to be will reveal itself... all you need to do is be you and continue...Onward!

Big Hugs, Big Love

A 😀💕🌻
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

EllenW

Quote from: TXSara on January 04, 2024, 11:53:08 AMThe good news is that while my issues are definitely transgender "adjacent", the problem of an anxious attachment style is one that is fairly common in the larger population.  I'm not going to limit myself to people who specialize in gender-related issues.

I have started throwing out the net, so we'll see what comes back over the next few days.

~Sara

Sara,
I think that is a good idea. Fortunately for me my therapist is not only experienced with gender related issues but very good in handling all my other issues. I am lucky to have her.

If you are open to video sessions, my therapist is also licensed in Texas. If you want PM or email me and I can give you her contact information.

Ellen

2018 - Full Time
2021 - BA
  •  

TXSara

Thanks, Ashley—

Truthfully, though, I don't think that "Romanceville" is a place I want to go right this second.  The sad feelings are still a bit raw, and I'm also only 47 days from my GRS with Dr. McGinn.  The fact that I'm on that cusp makes me a bit more emotionally volatile than usual.  It's probably best that I hold off until after I'm back and healed up a bit.  In the meantime, I'll work on myself.

——————

In separate news, I have completed my pre-surgery physical, and I have also paid Dr. McGinn her full surgery fee.  Now, I get to fight with the insurance company to get reimbursed part of that fee.  Joy.

I also have my flights booked.  My good friend Lu will be with me the full two weeks, and my friend Jessica will join us the Saturday after I get out of the hospital.  I'm hoping this will be a girl-bonding experience like my FFS was with my sisters.

~Sara

•  

CaelaNotKayla

Sara-

Oh sis!!!  I hope you know that you are special and fun and worth it and not damaged goods- and I know that someone else will come along to see that too! Have faith that things will come along for you! It just may not be when you expect it!!  There was someone that I cared a great deal about and we got along great- but one night I just kept getting the feeling that they were not on the same path as I- and as devastating as it was I gave up that dream that night.  That gave me the space to see that someone who I thought would never be interested in me actually was (and vice-versa)- Those feelings were news to us but not a big surprise to others who saw us interacting over the prior months (maybe even you saw it!!)

Keep your eyes open for your diamond- in the meantime- come on back up here and we'll paint the town again!!

Hugs!!

Caela 
"Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold"- Demi Lovato
  •  

TXSara

Quote from: EllenW on January 04, 2024, 01:35:37 PMIf you are open to video sessions, my therapist is also licensed in Texas. If you want PM or email me and I can give you her contact information.

Thanks, Ellen, but I'm pretty "old school" when it comes to that stuff.  I much prefer to be in person.

~Sara

•  

TXSara

Quote from: CaelaNotKayla on January 04, 2024, 01:59:20 PMThose feelings were news to us but not a big surprise to others who saw us interacting over the prior months (maybe even you saw it!!)

Keep your eyes open for your diamond- in the meantime- come on back up here and we'll paint the town again!!

Actually, I didn't notice.  We were only there that one night, and Samantha was keeping Michelle company while you and I were on the dance floor!!  ;D

I would love to come visit again.  My niece will be moving next year, though, so my free place to stay is going away soon!

~Sara

•  

EllenW

Quote from: TXSara on January 04, 2024, 01:57:26 PMIn separate news, I have completed my pre-surgery physical, and I have also paid Dr. McGinn her full surgery fee.  Now, I get to fight with the insurance company to get reimbursed part of that fee.  Joy.

I also have my flights booked.  My good friend Lu will be with me the full two weeks, and my friend Jessica will join us the Saturday after I get out of the hospital.  I'm hoping this will be a girl-bonding experience like my FFS was with my sisters.

That is fantastic news. Best of luck to you

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2021 - BA
  •  

imallie

Hey Sara - as I said to you previously, I just hope you can look at what happened without blaming/shaming yourself. NOT to blame your ex, but all I mean is, you mentioned how you realized (maybe too late) what her needs are in a relationship. When you find the right person, it will because you both understand what each of you need - insecurities, faults and all. None of us are perfect. We just strive to be our best and be there for those we love.
You're an amazing woman. You've got a lot to give and a lot to offer, and just because it didn't work with this fantastic woman isn't either of your faults. You're both just meant for others.
Love,
Allie
  •  

Jenn104

Quote from: TXSara on January 04, 2024, 11:53:08 AMWell, the first order of business is to modify my therapy schedule / focus.  As much as I love Renee and all she has done for me during my transition, we have become a bit too familiar of late.  When I go into therapy nowadays, it is more like catching up with an old friend.  If I want to really make a change in my behaviors, I'm going to need to find someone different.

To that end, I'm going to start trying out new therapists.  The good news is that while my issues are definitely transgender "adjacent", the problem of an anxious attachment style is one that is fairly common in the larger population.  I'm not going to limit myself to people who specialize in gender-related issues.

~Sara

I am glad you decided to come back. I love your blog for gems like this. I believe a part of transition is becoming better, more whole people. Seeing you openly - nay almost casually - working on it is great.

~Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: TXSara on January 04, 2024, 01:57:26 PMIn separate news, I have completed my pre-surgery physical, and I have also paid Dr. McGinn her full surgery fee.  Now, I get to fight with the insurance company to get reimbursed part of that fee.  Joy.

~Sara

That's awesome news, Sara! The surgery may seem a little surreal at first, but I know Dr. McGinn will do a great job for you. I think I mentioned this a few months ago, but McGinn is in a movie called 'Trans'. It's very informative.

Love always -- Jess
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
  •  

REM.1126

Hey Sara, it is good to see you back.
  •  

Courtney G

It seems like there's a lot of reinventing that has to happen as part of the transition process. In addition to understanding how I'm going to navigate relationships as I continue to change, I'm also beginning to rethink a lifetime of relating to the world as my former self, and wondering how this version of me wants to do that. I know it's a process that's going to take a lot of time. Sara, as Athena would say, you're doing it right. There have been bumps along the way - painful ones - and there will be more, but you're taking every opportunity to evolve and to grow stronger. I'm honored to call you my friend and I look forward to watching you blossom.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

TXSara

It was an interesting night...

A few months ago, Feleshia (my other therapist) suggested that I start going to something called "Chick Happy Hour."  This is a monthly lesbian meetup that occurs on the first Thursday of every month.  Yesterday was that day.

I debated going because I'm really not ready to get back out there.  That being said, I figured it would be good to get out of the house.  I refuse to allow myself to mope.

So, I went.  Here's what happened...

I felt out of place at first.  I went to the bar, grabbed a glass of wine, and just looked around at the crowd.  I'd guess there were 60-80 people there.  Not being one to just awkwardly sit there, I instead awkwardly approached someone at the edge of a larger friend group and started chatting.  Quickly, I was introduced to the bigger group and joined in the laughs.

Over the course of the night, I met at least 20 different people, and they were all really nice.  I really needed that.  I also got hit on by a few women, which was a much needed ego stroke.

One of the most interesting things was that my HER app was blowing up with likes and friend requests.  The app has the ability to filter based on who is currently near you, so I think there are quite a few women who were seeing me in the flesh, looking me up on the app, and making contact that way rather than trying to strike up a conversation.  It made me feel good.  I guess I've still "got it"!

As difficult as this week has been for me, I think I'm going to bounce back quickly.  I thoroughly enjoyed my NYE party on Sunday, and I had a blast last night as well.  Give me a few more weeks to grieve, and I'll be back.  Go me!

~Sara

•  

Jessica_Rose

Your post made me smile, Sara. I'm so happy to hear that you had a great evening and made some new friends. Knowing that others are interested in getting to know you is quite affirming. You're a beautiful lady, and don't you ever forget it!

Love always -- Jess
Hair - Hair Restoration
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Quote from: TXSara on January 04, 2024, 10:55:49 AMThis is more about me doing the things I need to do to make sure this type of thing doesn't happen the NEXT time I find someone special.  It may be a long while before I find someone as wonderful as she was, but I always have hope – that's just who I am.

I won't advise because I think you already know what you need ^here.^

Quote from: TXSara on January 05, 2024, 07:17:29 AMIt was an interesting night...

A few months ago, Feleshia (my other therapist) suggested that I start going to something called "Chick Happy Hour."  This is a monthly lesbian meetup that occurs on the first Thursday of every month.  Yesterday was that day.

I debated going because I'm really not ready to get back out there.  That being said, I figured it would be good to get out of the house.  I refuse to allow myself to mope.

So, I went.  Here's what happened...

I felt out of place at first.  I went to the bar, grabbed a glass of wine, and just looked around at the crowd.  I'd guess there were 60-80 people there.  Not being one to just awkwardly sit there, I instead awkwardly approached someone at the edge of a larger friend group and started chatting.  Quickly, I was introduced to the bigger group and joined in the laughs.

Over the course of the night, I met at least 20 different people, and they were all really nice.  I really needed that.  I also got hit on by a few women, which was a much needed ego stroke.

One of the most interesting things was that my HER app was blowing up with likes and friend requests.  The app has the ability to filter based on who is currently near you, so I think there are quite a few women who were seeing me in the flesh, looking me up on the app, and making contact that way rather than trying to strike up a conversation.  It made me feel good.  I guess I've still "got it"!

As difficult as this week has been for me, I think I'm going to bounce back quickly.  I thoroughly enjoyed my NYE party on Sunday, and I had a blast last night as well.  Give me a few more weeks to grieve, and I'll be back.  Go me!

~Sara

Heck, yeah!
  •  

TXSara

Thanks, O&C!  Believe me, your advice is ALWAYS welcome!  It's great to hear from you.

~Sara

•