Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Do you wear your shoulder handbag on your left or right shoulder?

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 05, 2024, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

« on: June 16, 2022, 02:02:51 pm »
I'm right-handed.
Strap over left shoulder.
Crossbody always (purse hangs on right side).

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Shoulder bags: right shoulder.
Crossbody bags: the bag is always on my right side, when wearing it on the shoulder straight down it'll be my right shoulder, when wearing the strap across, it'll be over my left shoulder.

Heidemarie
  •  

EllenW

I wear it on my left that leaves my dominate right hand free.

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Right shoulder when hanging straight down from shoulder, left shoulder with strap across  for crossbody style purses.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Colorado Girl

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on January 05, 2024, 10:36:26 AM« on: June 16, 2022, 02:02:51 pm »
I'm right-handed.
Strap over left shoulder.
Crossbody always (purse hangs on right side).

Love always -- Jessica Rose

I do the same thing!
  •  

LoriDee

OK, I'll be the oddball.

Left shoulder, because I am right-handed, but not cross-body. Straight down on the left side.
Being right-handed and having some neuropathy on the left, the left hand is busy holding the strap. The right hand is doing everything else: holding a drink, and a grocery bag, and fiddling with keys to unlock the door and get it open enough to wedge my foot in sideways so it doesn't close. Yeah. Fun times.  ;D
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Purses are nice to have.  They are very handy.

Unsure why guys would not use them for practicality but that goes back to gender related fashion tradition.  The messenger bag or backpack might do but those things are not for most situations.

We ladies are lucky to have them!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

I am right-handed.  The bag goes on my left, with the shoulder-strap over the right shoulder.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Paulie

This is my first purse and I just started caring it about a month a go.  I'm right handed and it feels most comfortable on my left side. 

The strap is of a shiny black webbing and kind of slick, so I've been wearing it cross body most of the time for fear or it slipping off. I recently found that if I shorten up the strap it does seem to hang well on the left shoulder. I'm gonna have to play with it a little more. 

I still need to figure this purse thing out.  I didn't realize purses were so complicated lol. :laugh: 
  •  

LoriDee

@Paulie

I think if I lengthen my strap I could wear it cross-body. The strap is faux leather, so it slides off easily too. I just don't like putting things over my head and maybe messing up my hair.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Sometimes I just walk holding a purse or the purse straps in my hands.  After all, it is sometimes called a handbag.

I have a leather purse that came with three different sets of straps.  Each is of a different length.

Chrissy
  •  

Paulie

I've been playing with the strap length and carrying on the shoulder for past week or so. I found a length that carries well just hanging from my left shoulder.  It's nice not having to put it over my head every time I get in and out of the car.  I still wear it cross body for things like grocery shopping where I'm bending over or picking things up. Always on the left side either way though.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

ChrissyRyan

At times I will stick my driver's license and a credit card and maybe $20 into one of those too shallow for much of anything else front pockets and not walk with a purse.  I will still lock my purse in the car trunk though as you never know when you may really want something you carry in your purse.

I suppose this is unwise if you need to make use of some pepper spray you keep in your purse.  Stay safe.

Chrissy
  •  

LoriDee

Car keys make a great defensive weapon. I carry them in my hand between my vehicle and going inside. Once inside, I clip them with a small spring clip to my purse strap or belt loop. I never have to dig for them.

•  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: LoriDee on March 10, 2024, 01:30:41 PMCar keys make a great defensive weapon. I carry them in my hand between my vehicle and going inside. Once inside, I clip them with a small spring clip to my purse strap or belt loop. I never have to dig for them.

Keys would make for a defensive item.  So would some other things one may pack into your purse.  So far I have been safe.  Except from some giggles occasionally.

Chrissy

•  

LoriDee

My dad asked me once what I would do if someone tried to rape me. I think he forgot I was a combat soldier for over 14 years. He remembers me as a kid who got beat up a lot. That's okay. He was just expressing his concern.

•