Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Does your deadname ever die?

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 05, 2024, 05:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Once you legally change your name, I suggest you start informing the world about it as soon as possible. I changed my name nearly five years ago, and I moved to another state 18 months ago. I still get mail addressed to my deadname, sometimes from companies I have never done business with (even AARP). Email is just as bad, and I suggest setting up a new email address as soon as possible. I still check the email address I created under my deadname in case something important shows up, but I ignore just about everything which comes in on that address.

Other than responding to everyone with your new name (financial institutions, schools, utilities, stores, government entities, etc.) and submitting a 'change of address' with the postal service, what steps have you taken to 'kill' your deadname?

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Moonflower

davina61

Only thing I have not been able to change is my mobile phone account, changed the email on it but cant get them to change the a/c name.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

EllenW

I think it is hard to eliminate all traces of our deadname once it is in a database. For example, this past Medicare open enrollment period it was not uncommon to get the three advertisements from the same company. One addressed to my late wife, one to Ellen and a third to <deadname>. For me it is not worth the effort to try and correct these databases. I just throw it all away.

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

Gwendoline

I think it is nowadays more difficult because of the internet and e mail than nineties last century when I changed. I had nothing on the internet with my old info. I wrote or rang every company I could and ask to change or delete my old info. Also visited old schools for new diploma's and certificates. It took me about half a year for 90% and to a year for 99%.
Sometimes I sent postmailings back whihout a new stamp with tekst: person not known. Never got a second in that case.
  •  

Donica

I did all of the above when I changed my name, but still, I get occasional advertisement in my deadname. After 3 attempts to get SoCal Edison to change my name, they still haven't got it right. They are the worst utility ever. Guess I need to close that account and move to a new place.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

Gwendoline

Can you close the account and make a new one a day later?
  •