Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Did transitioning change your temperature preference?

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 09, 2024, 05:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Before I transitioned, cold temperatures didn't bother me much. Now if I go outside and the temperature is under 40F (4C), I wear a parka! Low to mid 70's (21C - 24C) used to be perfect, now I much prefer upper 80's to low 90's (30C - 33C).

In the winter, I keep our thermostat on 68F (20C) to keep our gas bill reasonable. To stay warm, I wear a camisole, long sleeve thermal top, and a heavy sweater or robe. I also use a space heater in my office set at 76F (24C).

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Maid Marion

Yes!  Now that I'm a size 2 I don't have much body fat to keep me warm.

It is 70 degrees or 21 Celsius inside and I'm wearing three layers on top and two to cover my legs to stay warm.

Fortunately I have a couple of very warm jackets for playing golf in the colder weather.
  •  

Oldandcreaky

Another good thread, Jess. My hands are typically cold. However, I hate coats, so I often go outside without one or just a vest. It's 15 degrees Fahrenheit right now, so if I walk, today will be a coat day, but in the high thirties, I'll make do with a vest.
  •  

Courtney G

I seem to get cold very easily now, at higher temperatures than ever before. And even though I still much prefer cooler weather over the heat, I seemed to be more tolerant last summer.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

Donica

I have to say yes. I find I get cold easier these days, but I wonder if it is due to aging. I still like a cold room, snuggling up with a warm comforter at night, often with one or both feet peeking out from under the comforter.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

EllenW

I do not know if it's caused by age (70) or by my transition. But I do feel the cold a lot more. And I mean low 60s F.

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

Northern Star Girl

I agree with the other comments posted by the contributing members on this thread....
.... and yes indeed my "temperature preference" has changed significantly now that
I am full time in my transition journey. 

I tend to feel the "cold" much more now.
I grew up in Eastern Montana and I was quite adapted to cold temperatures, however
there is a lot more longer duration cold where I live now.

Living here in Alaska in the winter time I keep bundled up with a a wide collection
of hats, gloves, wool socks, boots, coast and warm jackets... and usually wear many layers
under my coats and sweatshirts. 

I feel the cold on my hands and feet the most.

Women's clothes are generally tighter fitting than men's garments so there is not as
much "dead" air-insulating-space between the fabric and my skin that would help to keep
the cold off of my skin... in particular, skinny jeans and leggings can be an issue in bitter cold
weather.  Also, no body hair eliminates that feature of keeping my body warm.

I am very prepared to stay warm in spite of the Alaskan winter weather.... and do know that
I really enjoy the wintertime here, I just have to dress appropriately.

HUGS,
Danielle
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  

Gina P

My hands are always cold now. When working outside they get numb quickly and when warmed hurt as the nerves thaw. Gloves help but not much. Feet have always been cold even before transitioning but the hands are new.
Gina
  •  

Mariah

Both of the extremes seem to impact me these days, but then I have gained some weight over the last few years. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

D'Amalie

Certainly more sensitive the last few years.  Attribute to aging rather than transitioning?  Anything below 72 is chilly now.  Hands don't really warm up even with activity, like shoveling snow.  I take off the outer layer but keep gloves on to do that.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Moonflower

It sure did/is! When I  was the woman, I was always cold to the bone until the thermometer hit 80°F. Then I melted. Now, 65°F is plenty warm enough for me indoors in light clothing. When I wander outside, even 20°F feels fine for a while without any kind of coat.

She used to keep the thermostat turned down, but now she's in sweaters and several layers, close to a space heater even though the room is 70°F! But she still opens the window at night as soon as I'm in bed...while her mattress pad heater is cranked up near maximun heat and mine's on low.
:icon_wave:
1999 married :icon_archery:
The woman hiding behind my husband's facade gradually revealed herself to just me.
Fall 2018 my sweetheart's coming out full time! :icon_female:
She began HRT but had adverse reactions, so gave up on coming out to protect her health.
Summer 2022 I went through gender confirmation surgery as a result of cancer.
2024 her cardiologist and a therapist wrote letters approving of resuming HRT, and now she's getting on the calendar for surgery!
  •  

imallie

This is a constant topic of conversation in our house.

Problem is, too many factors to narrow it down to just one.

Age, weight loss (175 lbs), and hormones.  But the combination of the three means I'm literally always cold now... when I never used to get cold at all.
  •  

BlueJaye

Nope. I've always ran hot and preferred cool or cold weather. I'll set up a tent in the backyard and go sleep outdoors when it's 20 degrees out because it's more comfortable than being in a 70 degree house.
  •  

NancyDrew1930

Right now people are surprised that I am walking around with no coat on, but to me it feels like it's after Easter, in early-to-mid-April, not early-February.  However, my doctor's are still trying to figure out what I have, since this is something that was happening even before I started HRT.
  •