Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Has anyone undergone EMDR therapy?

Started by TXSara, January 13, 2024, 06:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXSara

I wrote about this in my blog, but I never got an answer.  Surely someone around here (as much as we go to therapy) has heard of this and has an opinion!

The back-story is that I'm trying out new therapists (my gender therapist has become a bit too familiar after spending the last few years together).  The first one that I talked to yesterday wants to try EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) with me.  I'm not sure whether this is something I'm interested in or not.

The current issue I'm seeing a therapist for is anxious attachment and how that affects my romantic relationships.  This is something new that has popped up over the past year (after my social transition), and it has already blown up one really good relationship before it ever really got started.  You can read all about this in my blog (link below).

Anyway, I'm interested in knowing what people think about this technique, whether it has worked for you, and under what conditions it has / has not worked.  It feels very "new age" to me, and my gut says that there's no quick solution -- you just have to work through your issues and develop tools for handling yourself when you start to spin out of control.  I have an open mind, though.

Thoughts?

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

imallie

Hey Sara - when I read this it immediately reminded me of treatment discussions I've had with my neurologist over the years.
The details of those are completely off the point, but what I hope might give you guidance is this - once I came to trust him and we built a strong relationship to where I knew he always had my best interests at heart, whenever he's brought up a new drug or treatment option we always discuss it completely and I follow his recommendation.

I guess what I'm saying is, play the player not the game, you know? A lot of this call has to be how much faith you have in this doc and her having your health at heart.
Up to you how you get to that point, if you do.  Good luck!

Love,
Allie

P.S. I should add that I have heard of this treatment, but not through trans issues. My sister works works vets and I read about it as a technique used with PTSD victims. I believe the idea is to remember a memory and no longer "experience" it.
  •  

Karen_A

Many years go my therapist did... No effect for me.

- Karen
  •  

BlueJaye

I've experienced some really horrible things in my life, and the unfortunate result of that is suffering with PTSD. I have done some EMDR sessions with my therapist. I did not find it to be particularly helpful.

Strangely, boxing made the most difference. I don't have a good explanation for why boxing greatly improved my symptoms and reduced the frequency of the episodes, but it has. It is why I became so involved in boxing and continued with it even after having to file for a USOPC investigation against USA Boxing for gender discrimination.
  •  

Zoey Starr

My therapist recommended EMDR after I witnessed an extremely traumatic event. I could not get the images of that event from playing continuously through my mind. I was also experiencing what is referred to as trauma fog. Traditional talk therapy and EMDR were very helpful in helping me heal from this trauma. 
  •  

TXSara

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when she brought it up.  This is a technique that seems to be reserved for specific traumatic events that you want to be able to reprocess.  That isn't really my problem.

I worry that this therapist has a hammer, and she's looking for a nail.

We'll see what prospective therapist #2 has to say when I meet with her on Tuesday.

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

ClaireBlooming

I'm interested to hear about other's experiences as well.  I have a new therapist who uses EMDR.  I've had one session with it.  No major revelations but I noticed I did talk a mile a minute while holding the paddles.

-Claire
  •  

Zoey Starr

I have been seeing this therapist for a year. We have only done a handful of EMDR sessions. The rest has been traditional talk therapy. EMDR has been a helpful tool for me but it is not a catch-all for every issue. However, EMDR is not just for trauma. It can be helpful in appropriate circumstances. I trust my therapist's recommendations but it is always my decision on what tools we decide to use for each specific situation.
  •  

Sarah B

No, I have never had EMDR therapy and the amount of therapy I ever had was the absolute minimum, that I had to have because of the SOC protocol.

When I read TXSara, "Has anyone undergone EMDR therapy?", I was thinking to myself, "what in the hell is EMDR?".  I was immediately suspicious  so I looked it up on the internet and low and behold EMDR was surrounded by controversy.  So in effect I will never have that treatment.

I had never seen any therapist before I changed my life around and when I got my surgery letters and had my surgery.  I have never seen any 'therapist' since.

Kind regards to one and all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
Feb 1989 Living my life as Sarah.
Feb 1989 Legally changed my name.
Mar 1989 Started hormones.
Feb 1991 Surgery.
  •  

D'Amalie

Quote from: TXSara on January 13, 2024, 10:43:17 AMI worry that this therapist has a hammer, and she's looking for a nail.

~Sara

Hilaiously accurate!  Goodness, I'm just in a giggle fit over the "hammer looking for a nail" crack.  Simply love it! 

Mine skirted the topic but I was wise to the trick.  The entire staff was so worried about my PTSD and suicide risk.  Okay that's fair.  They do seem to grasp at any opportunity to play inside my head.  I'm careful.  "Stick to the issue, Doc..  Just because I have these <points at boobs.> doesn't make me stupid.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Kay226

I was interested in EMDR and read up on it. It is supposed to work by cross stimulating the halves of your brain while you talk about the trauma which is supposed to resolve it. I recently read an article about walking as therapy. Same idea, cross stimulation of your brain. It made sense to me. When things are bothering me, I like to go for a long walk. I usually feel better after. Wish I could find the article but I can't. Walking is free and good for your health. BTW I am not a therapist so take me with a grain of salt!
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
quote by Mary Oliver

The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.
quote by Elizabeth Gilbert
  •