Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Mammograms for MTFs

Started by ChrissyRyan, January 16, 2024, 01:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

When you are advised by your physician to get a mammogram, do get one because we MTFs can get breast cancer.  The process does not take long. 

While it can be uncomfortable it is not that painful when your breasts are compressed to get the images.  Two images (front and side) are taken by a trained imaging technologist for each breast.  It is done in a very professional manner.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Mariah

I delayed for a year at getting my first one, but have ever since gotten one every year since then. Last one occurring yesterday. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Courtney G

I had my annual wellness exam last month and asked my doc if I should get a mammogram, but he didn't suggest it. He did give me a manual exam (same thing last year). I dread going, since I present male, but I feel like I need to soon. My breasts have been growing for a little over 2 years. There's a rule of thumb for when to get your first exam, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps someone will chime in with some info.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

D'Amalie

Quote from: Courtney G on January 16, 2024, 02:21:39 PMI had my annual wellness exam last month and asked my doc if I should get a mammogram, but he didn't suggest it. He did give me a manual exam (same thing last year). I dread going, since I present male, but I feel like I need to soon. My breasts have been growing for a little over 2 years. There's a rule of thumb for when to get your first exam, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps someone will chime in with some info.

My GP said to me when I asked the same question, 5 years on HRT before a mammography exam.  My spouse is a 2 time breast cancer survivor.  It is a subject near and dear to us.  This last time was brutal.  14 procedures to end it, with always the risk of return.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Courtney G

Mariah

Quote from: Courtney G on January 16, 2024, 02:21:39 PMI had my annual wellness exam last month and asked my doc if I should get a mammogram, but he didn't suggest it. He did give me a manual exam (same thing last year). I dread going, since I present male, but I feel like I need to soon. My breasts have been growing for a little over 2 years. There's a rule of thumb for when to get your first exam, but I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps someone will chime in with some info.
Age for my doctor was the trigger and even then he waited tell the later end of the normal range to start on me. My spouse is not even 40 yet and hasn't had one yet. Her breasts are good size and she has been on hormones for like 6 years now. I suspect the trigger of when may differ by doctor, but that is what our primary care doctor uses to determine when to start having his patients get mammograms. Hugs
Mariah
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Courtney G

Sarah B

I have a mammogram every two years and around 2008, I had mammogram and an abnormality was detected.  I attended an appointment where they inserted a needle into my left breast and did an aspiration on a cyst, end result I was clear of any possible cancer.

Here in Australia breast screening is free for us women and since I'm 65 I can still get a mammogram.  I just do it as part of my life.  I get reminders that I'm due for one and all I have to do is book an appointment, attend and wait for the results.

This is a story about me and my mum. On one occasion we both received screening letters and we both booked a time where we both went together.  I did tell mum about when I had a scare.  One of the few times I talked about my deeper personal issues.  The upshot of this was the following, well to me it was:

• Having a breast screening done. Cool.
  • Having negative result coming back.  Excellent.
  • Having mammogram with my mum.  Priceless.

The joys of being a women.

Kind regards to one and all
Sarah B

Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

D'Amalie

Quote from: Sarah B on January 16, 2024, 02:41:53 PMI have a mammogram every two years and around 2008, I had mammogram and an abnormality was detected.  I attended an appointment where they inserted a needle into my left breast and did an aspiration on a cyst, end result I was clear of any possible cancer.

Here in Australia breast screening is free for us women and since I'm 65 I can still get a mammogram.  I just do it as part of my life.  I get reminders that I'm due for one and all I have to do is book an appointment, attend and wait for the results.

This is a story about me and my mum. On one occasion we both received screening letters and we both booked a time where we both went together.  I did tell mum about when I had a scare.  One of the few times I talked about my deeper personal issues.  The upshot of this was the following, well to me it was:

• Having a breast screening done. Cool.
  • Having negative result coming back.  Excellent.
  • Having mammogram with my mum.  Priceless.

The joys of being a woman.

Kind regards to one and all
Sarah B

I love that you had the bonding experience with your Mom!  I found that with my stepmother, things only improved as she became an old lady.  Extremely abusing physically and mentally through the 60's, 70's and 80's somewhat unknown to Daddy.  Apparently, the stress of life raising a family was too much for her?  I'm just making excuses I suppose.  Additionally, I don't think she EVER had a mammography exam.  I didn't meet my birth mother until I was eighteen.  Another story for another day.

Richelle
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

Sarah B

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 16, 2024, 03:21:39 PMI love that you had the bonding experience with your Mom!  I found that with my stepmother, things only improved as she became an old lady.  Extremely abusing physically and mentally through the 60's, 70's and 80's somewhat unknown to Daddy.  Apparently, the stress of life raising a family was too much for her?  I'm just making excuses I suppose.  Additionally, I don't think she EVER had a mammography exam.  I didn't meet my birth mother until I was eighteen.  Another story for another day.

Richelle

I'm sorry that your childhood was not a happy one.  No you are not "making excuses", you did nothing wrong.  It was your stepmother from what I can tell was at fault.

Thank you for telling us a little about yourself it really is appreciated.  I should write a post about me and my mum, but I will leave that for another thread.

Hugs to one and all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

EllenW

I have had several mammograms since I transitioned. I would recommend every one that has  grown breast on HRT to have one on a regular basis.
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

Susan

I've had two mammograms so far, and thankfully, both have shown clear results. Most of my family members who passed away prematurely did so due to emphysema or lung cancer. This history heightens my awareness and vigilance about my health, making regular mammograms an essential part of my healthcare routine.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I had my first mammogram about two years after I started HRT. I think the real push for it was that I had scheduled a breast augmentation to coincide with bottom surgery, and they wanted to make sure all was well before surgery. Since then, I've had one every year. My mom had breast cancer about 10 - 12 years ago. Although they aren't my favorite activity, they could eventually save my life.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

BlueJaye

I've had two mammograms. For all the complaining I had heard from other women, I thought it was going to be legitimate torture. Honestly, they're not that bad. A little uncomfortable at moments, but nothing even approaching painful.
  •  

TXSara

I had my first mammogram a couple months ago.  The woman asked me where I normally go to get this done since it was my first time there, and I told her that, "Well, this is my first one."  The look of confusion was priceless, and it made me feel good.  I told her that (a) I was transgender, and (b) she was my new best friend  ;D

~Sara
My Latest Blog Thread:  Sara's Wild Ride (Part II)

•  

KathyLauren

Here, the recommendation is for women age 50-74 to have a mammogram every two years.  (Every year for age 40-49.)  The recommendation for trans women in those age ranges is to begin 5 years after starting HRT.

Because my breasts have "heterogeneous density", I have to have one every year.  I have had two so far.  The technicians have been very respectful.

On my first one, the tech was doing a short interview prior to the mammogram.  One of the questions she asked was, "Do you still have your uterus?"  I smiled and answered, "I never had one of those."  She went, "uh-huh" and started to note my response, and then did a priceless double-take: "Wait.  What??"  I savoured her reaction for a second or two before explaining.  We both had a chuckle about it.  Then she asked if I had implants.  Nope, 100% natural.  If I'd gotten implants, I wouldn't have gone with an A-cup!
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Courtney G

My mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy when I was very young. Both parents died of cancer, as well as lots of cancer in the extended family. But everyone smoked - a lot. I don't smoke and I'm a light drinker, so my risk level is much lower. But I still have to be diligent.

I have large glands and dense breasts and my breasts are probably a C cup now. I worry that I'll need 3D or ultrasound mammography, which is more expensive. This is all something I'll be looking into over the coming months, with the goal of initiating a screening regimen this year.

I appreciate the input of others on this topic.

Pre-crash post count: >487
Pre-crash reputation: +10/-0
  •  

Mariah

Quote from: Courtney G on January 17, 2024, 11:36:22 AMMy mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy when I was very young. Both parents died of cancer, as well as lots of cancer in the extended family. But everyone smoked - a lot. I don't smoke and I'm a light drinker, so my risk level is much lower. But I still have to be diligent.

I have large glands and dense breasts and my breasts are probably a C cup now. I worry that I'll need 3D or ultrasound mammography, which is more expensive. This is all something I'll be looking into over the coming months, with the goal of initiating a screening regimen this year.

So sorry to hear your mother went through that. I hope you are able to find what you need in regards to getting a screening of yours. Hugs
Mariah
  •  

Sarah B

Quote from: Courtney G on January 17, 2024, 11:36:22 AMMy mother had breast cancer and a mastectomy when I was very young. Both parents died of cancer, as well as lots of cancer in the extended family. But everyone smoked - a lot. I don't smoke and I'm a light drinker, so my risk level is much lower. But I still have to be diligent.

Sorry Courtney that you lost your parents, I know what it is like to lose someone you love so much.

My mum smoked for over 20 years after cyclone Tracey 1994 (she gave it up) and got emphysema in addition in she had two lots of bowel cancer later on.  I cannot remember if she had any problems with her breasts.  She died about year and half ago.  I looked after her for 10 years.  Yes, it hurts still.  My grandfather also had emphysema.

I did not start breast screenings until about 2005.  Ever since I have a mammogram every two years.  It's doubtful I will ever get breast cancer because of my genes, but as they say, "you never know".  I have natural breasts and my size is 18C and at screenings I have never disclosed my past condition and when asked pertinent questions in regards to my mammogram.

Me personally, I have never smoked, I have been asthmatic since childhood and I rarely drink and only in the company of really close friends and family.

Best wishes always to one and all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Donica

I've had 3 mammograms. My first was back in 2019, and very affirming for me. The rest have been routine (every 2 years). So far, all have been clear.
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

imallie

My endo told me that she's going to want to send me for one probably in the coming year. Now that I've got visible breast tissue, and since we're upping my hormones, and because there's a history of breast cancer in my family (my mom).
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I think this thread is a really good one for placement in the Health thread.  Thank you Susan and team.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •