Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Female hobbies

Started by Stéphanie.FR, January 16, 2024, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stéphanie.FR

I was wondering if you ladies had hobbies or interests usually girls and women are supposed to have before transitioning. (from knitting to reading women's mag or liking chick flicks). And after transitioning, dit it change?

I'm asking it as I have typical male interests, and sharing few "female" ones with genuine girls I know. I'm aware this does not define what it is to be a woman, but I question myself about it.

Stéphanie, XX
  •  

ChrissyRyan

No I do not think so. Plus many of us MTFs still retain our hobbies that many consider to be male hobbies.  Cars, repairing things, sports, motorcycles perhaps, are some that can certainly be enjoyed by women too.  Why not?

However if you are interested in doing what might be considered to be female hobbies, go for it.  None of it is mandatory.

However, you may wish to participate in a women's book club or a bible study group if those pastimes are interesting to you. 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Maid Marion

I liked shopping but there weren't any men's clothes in my size.
Now that I wear XS female clothes I have a wonderful wardrobe!

I used to alter my male clothes but now that is rarely necessary. 
Long PJ pants may needed hemming but everything else now comes in ready to wear crop styles!
  •  

ClaireBlooming

After transition, I plan on keeping some of my male hobbies, plus explore some things I might have been too self-conscious to do as a male.

--Claire
  •  

Mariah

My interests haven't changed. I have always enjoyed a mix of interests. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

Sarah B

Crocheting is my hobby and it has been since I was ten.  My mum tried to dissuade me at the time, but my aunt said, "let her have a go",  so I started learning chain stitches and oh boy was I hooked.  Pun intended.

Me and mum, together would crochet lots of afghan blankets or granny rungs for the family.  Oh the memories.

Swimming is my passion and photography is what I do when I I have time, both of which I still do today. The only other activities that I do not do now are scuba diving and shooting.

Doing a hobby does not define us, they are apart of who we are.

Kind regards to one and all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Gina P

I love horseback ridding. Many times I was the only man in the group when competing, now I should fit right in. Fishing is another hobby I have enjoyed all my life and I can't see that changing.
Gina
  •  

Oldandcreaky

I do a mix of boy and girl hobbies.
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

I still enjoy all of my old hobbies: Rowing, hiking, photography, making things (woodwork, metal work, electronics). However, 2 years ago I picked up a new and definitively more female hobby: sewing. I guess I just added new materials (i.e. fabrics) to the making things category. And I really enjoy it.

Heidemarie
  •  

D'Amalie

Funny you should say female hobbies  ???  I've always been the seamstress in the family.  Just considered it one of the normal life skills.  Does scrapbooking count?  I love that.  My wife, she says I'm a better house wife.  Always have been.  My stepmom may have been an unadulterated abusive B word  >:-) , but she did see that my homemaking skills were on par with all the neighborhood girls.  I did catch hell from my peer group for that when discovered.

But before you sign me up as a card carrying total femme, be aware I still keep my stable of vintage cars and bicycles.  AND I love my vintage collectables and china and crystal.

Hard to say female hobbies, eh?  Oh! and I bake and cook too!  Wearing a frilly apron, cause I like it  :-X
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

Victoria L.

As a teenager I used to read my sister's magazines, but once she moved out, I didn't have them anymore.

Also, I've always liked video games that appeal largely to women, like Animal Crossing or The Sims the most.

In my childhood I played with toys for both genders, but did really like dollhouses, and had my own log cabin one which was supposed to be for boys, but a dollhouse all of the same! (I wanted a girls' style dollhouse! In my teens, when I began playing The Sims, it kinda filled that niche for me, and I haven't stopped playing since!) I also had an obsession with beads. My parents can attest to that!

I think a lot of my interests are gender neutral, but I definitely lean feminine. I became a lot more into fashion, jewelry and painted nails after transitioning. Also got baby fever a lot worse. lol. Really not into the most stereotypically female things like cooking and knitting/sewing. I could see me someday getting into sewing to carry on my grandma's passion. Cooking I will learn better when I learn to adult better.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Well I seem to be spending more time with appearance but that is not really a hobby, it is a necessity! 

Except on the days I just do not care!  "Just wear that T-shirt and jeans girl," I say to myself.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

imallie

I've always liked what I like, and I expect that to continue. I hope that things that are my hobby, will, by definition, be "female" hobbies.
  •  

BlueJaye

I have been a cyclist for decades, and especially enjoy mountain biking and gravel cycling. And I picked up boxing four years after transitioning. I consider them women's hobbies, since I am a woman and I enjoy them.
  •  

Stéphanie.FR

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 17, 2024, 03:45:29 PMFunny you should say female hobbies  ???

Right. Made me think. I'm not usually using such stereotypes as "boy things/girl things". Besides I wasn't raised that way. I guess I'm looking for false pretexts when time has come to accept the real me. Thank you D'Amalie for pointing it to me. It helps a lot. And thank ladies for all your answers so far.

Stéphanie, X X
  •  

Brooke Renee

I love this question! 

My visceral response was I don't think hobbies are gendered but....  I think I am dead wrong on that, at least in the context of Western culture.  And, now that I look back at my life I would definitely say my interests have always been on the feminine side of the ledger.  Let's see, I love fine art, cooking, flower gardening, decorating.  As a photographer, my passions are florals and sunrises. 

I will say that before I accepted my true identity I was not a shopper, now I love to shop.  Another before after change was my adventures in the mountains.  I used to be focused on summiting mountains, now I am focused on the journey.  I will meander the mountainsides for hours, enjoying the wild flower meadows and never feel compelled to climb higher. 

Cheers,

Brooke
  •  

Maid Marion

https://n0ssc.com/posts/677-engaging-women-in-amateur-radio
I found this blog that claims that ham radio is a male dominated hobby.

Isn't the clear enunciation and higher pitched voice typical of female speech better suited for radio communication?
  •  

KathyLauren

I learned to sew by watching my mother when she made her own clothes.  When I was in my 30s, I asked her to teach me to knit.  It has been years now since I knitted anything, but I made myself a few sweaters back in the day, including one with the Olympic torch logo from the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics.

If my mother were alive today, she would realize that those interests were a sign and not be surprised.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

D'Amalie

Quote from: Brooke Renee on January 21, 2024, 07:40:44 AMI love this question! 

I will say that before I accepted my true identity I was not a shopper, now I love to shop.  Another before after change was my adventures in the mountains.  I used to be focused on summiting mountains, now I am focused on the journey.  I will meander the mountainsides for hours, enjoying the wild flower meadows and never feel compelled to climb higher. 
So true!  Go figure?  Shopping isn't so bad once you rearrange priorities :)  Hiking is the best.  Not so worried about getting to a destination now.  Content to meander and enjoy, yes?
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

RobynTx

I've picked up a lot more outdoor hobbies like kayaking and trail running.  Pretty much everything else has remained like backpacking and cycling.  I still play video games but I am trying to limit the screen time. Other than that I can't think of anything else.

•