Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Peritoneal pull through/ flap

Started by Gina P, January 22, 2024, 07:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gina P

I have a scheduled bottom surgery with Dr. Keith who does a Peritoneal flap with penial inversion and robotic surgery for the inner parts. I will have 5 holes in my abdomen for the robot which concerns me. Will these leave scares like I was shot with a machine gun?
I have heard peritoneal pull through technique advertised. Is the flap the same procedure? Any one with experience with this as well as recovery times or complications.
Gina
  •  

EllenW

Gina,

Yes, the peritoneal flap is the same as the peritoneal pull through. I had PPT/flap just last October with Dr. Gupta. However, mine is a little different from what yours will be. I had MDV GCS back in 2021. So, my PPT was a revision to just create the vaginal canal. He used the peritoneal flap and some artificial skin to create the vaginal canal. I am very happy with the results.

Best of luck to you. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Ellen

2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Gina P

Jenn104

Depending on your relationship with your surgical team, this would also be a question for them. They owe it to you to answer all your questions, far enough advance of surgery to make you feel at ease. No question should be too small or too large, in my opinion anyway.

Edit-- on a little further reflection, I believe any surgeon ought to be able to answer questions about scarring, the potential for scarring, and how they mitigate scars.

Good Luck!

~Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

•  
    The following users thanked this post: Gina P

Susan

It's great to hear that you have your bottom surgery scheduled with Dr. Keith. The combination of peritoneal flap with penile inversion and robotic surgery is quite advanced and can offer excellent results. Your concerns about scarring from the robotic surgery entry points are completely understandable.

Generally, robotic surgery is known for being minimally invasive, and the incisions made for the robot arms are usually small. While there will be scars, they tend to be relatively small and can fade significantly over time. The appearance of these scars can vary depending on individual factors like skin type, healing process, and post-operative care. It's unlikely they will resemble anything as dramatic as being shot with a machine gun.

Regarding the peritoneal pull-through technique, it's slightly different from the peritoneal flap technique. The pull-through method involves pulling a section of the peritoneum down to create the vaginal lining, while the flap technique uses a section of the peritoneum to augment the depth and lining. Each method has its advantages and specific indications based on individual anatomy and surgical goals.

Recovery times and potential complications can vary widely from person to person. It's important to have a detailed discussion with Dr. Keith about what to expect in terms of recovery and any potential risks. He can provide you with the most accurate information based on his experience and your individual health profile.

It might also be helpful to connect with others who have undergone similar procedures. They can offer personal insights and experiences regarding recovery and living with the results of the surgery. Forums like Susan's Place are great for finding community members willing to share their stories.

Remember, every surgery and every body is unique, so it's essential to follow the specific advice and guidelines provided by your surgeon for the best outcome. Best wishes on your surgery and recovery journey. Please keep us informed on your surgery, results, and recovery! We're all rooting for you and are here to support you in any way we can!
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!

Gina P

When I had my initial consult so much info was presented and I had many questions. It's hard to remember all that was presented. I believe I have another meeting as the date approaches and I am sure I will have many more questions to ask by then. Thanks for the info ladies.
Gina
PS. Any one know how to make time move faster till then?  :)
  •  

Donica

Quote from: Gina P on January 23, 2024, 05:39:11 AMPS. Any one know how to make time move faster till then?  :)

LOL! Sorry Gina, but no such thing. In fact, not sure how this happens, but time always seems to slow down while waiting for surgeries. However, you can try to keep yourself preoccupied elsewhere while you wait. Who ever said time is relative anyway lol.

Donica
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

MistressStevie

Scarring varies between people.  Good medical treatment and preparation can influence outcomes.   Communication is key. 
  •  

Gwendoline

At first congrats for having your GRS scheduled. Last year I had liposuction for the lipofilling after removing my old Breast implants. I got 2 small incisions on my belley, at each was one stitch for closing them. Now 10 months later the "scars" left are reduced to small dots.
I am not sure if my incisions will be the same size as for robotic, but I can share to you that healing went well.
At appointments with surgeons I make a list of subjects with main words in my phone which I use in my conversation. If difficult I write the info beside the main words. Maybe this will help you in the future.
  •