Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Makeup tips for newbie

Started by Zoso70, January 29, 2024, 12:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoso70

Would love some advice on makeup
I know this is a vague question just wanted to know where to start.
  •  

Susan

Welcome to the vibrant and creative world of makeup! As a beginner embarking on this journey, you are about to discover a realm full of self-expression and exploration. Familiarize yourself with the basics of makeup application and progressively refine your skills.

Start your makeup routine with thorough skin preparation. A clean and fresh face is fundamental. Use a gentle cleanser that's right for your skin type, followed by a quality moisturizer. This creates a smooth, even base, setting the stage for seamless makeup application.

Selecting the right foundation and concealer is crucial. Opt for a foundation that perfectly matches your skin tone, or choose a tinted moisturizer for lighter coverage. Apply it evenly, ensuring thorough blending, particularly at the edges. Concealer, ideally a shade lighter than your foundation, helps cover blemishes or dark circles under the eyes. Apply it sparingly and blend it delicately for a natural look.

A key step in your routine is setting your foundation and concealer with a translucent powder. This not only creates a long-lasting, matte finish but also controls shine, enhancing the durability of your base makeup.

Eye makeup adds depth and character to your look. Begin with neutral eyeshadow shades; apply a lighter color on the eyelid and a darker one in the crease, blending meticulously for a flawless appearance. Eyeliner, especially a pencil type, is ideal for beginners. Practice crafting a smooth line along your upper lash line. Mascara is the final touch for your eyes, applied from base to tip in a gentle, wiggling motion to coat every lash.

Eyebrows are essential in framing your face. Fill them in with a pencil or powder that complements your brow color. Employ light, feathery strokes, following the natural arch and shape of your eyebrows.

Blush brings life and color to your cheeks, creating a healthy and radiant glow. Apply it to the apples of your cheeks, blending upward towards your temples for a natural, flushed look.

Lip color is the finishing touch, enhancing the entire makeup look. Outline your lips with a pencil that closely matches your natural lip color, then fill in with your chosen lipstick or gloss.

An optional but beneficial step is using a setting spray, which can help maintain your makeup's longevity.

Watching makeup tutorials on platforms like YouTube can be incredibly helpful. These visual, step-by-step guides are an excellent resource for learning various techniques. Remember, it's normal for makeup application to take longer initially. With consistent practice, you'll find your routine becoming more efficient, cutting down the time needed.

Embrace makeup as an art form and don't shy away from experimenting with different looks and styles. It's about finding what resonates with your personal style and boosts your confidence.

Documenting your progress through photos is not only encouraging but also a rewarding way to track your skill development over time.

Every makeup artist started as a beginner. Practice is essential to mastering this craft. Initially, it might not be perfect, but with dedication, you will improve. The transformative power of makeup is truly remarkable. Stores like Ulta Beauty offer makeup services and can provide valuable product recommendations, as well as tips and tricks.

Additionally, our beauty forum and video section are excellent resources you should explore. They offer community support, advice, and further learning opportunities.

Enjoy the journey of learning and experimenting with makeup, and welcome to this expressive and artistic community!
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Zoso70

Sarah B

Hi Zoso

Quote from: Zoso70 on January 29, 2024, 12:52:00 PMWould love some advice on makeup
I know this is a vague question just wanted to know where to start.

YouTube.

Best wishes to one and all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Sarah B

Hi Zoso

Welcome to Susan's, I hope you have a nice time here.

Best wishes to one and all
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Less is more.  That works for me.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 29, 2024, 01:22:46 PMLess is more. 

I have to agree.  I always used makeup with a light touch.  I never liked heavy eye makeup and preferred an understated look overall.

Note the past tense.  With covid lockdowns and masking, I got out of the habit of using makeup.  Why bother if you are going to cover it up and smear it with a mask?  I never bother with it much anymore, even though I don't always wear a mask.  (I do wear one often enough that not using makeup just makes life easier.)  For reference, my current avatar picture shows me with as much makeup I ever wore.

Where to start?  Go to a store where they sell makeup and ask for advice.  A department store would be fine, or I went to a drugstore.  The lady there was very helpful.  I had a trans friend with me for encouragement my first time.

You will want a foundation that is a good match for your natural skin tone.  This is where an expert will be most helpful in picking the colour.  You will probably want a setting powder and a blush.  And lipstick - I went with a fairly natural colour, just a little bit more intense than my natural colour.  I got talked into buying a lip liner and eye liner, but I didn't really like them that much and wouldn't bother with them now.  If you have a lot of beard shadow, you might need some concealer if the regular foundation doesn't cover it.

When I apply makeup, I am not seeking to alter my appearance, just to even out my skin tones.  "The works" for me takes about 5 minutes.  I suppose those who prefer a more elaborate makeup job would take considerably longer.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Sarah B

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on January 29, 2024, 01:22:46 PMLess is more.  That works for me.

Chrissy

I have always used "Less is More" philosophy, ever since I started wearing makeup day in day out.

Best wishes and Hugs
Sarah B
Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •