Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Religious trauma still haunts millions of LGBTQ Americans

Started by Jessica_Rose, January 29, 2024, 07:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Religious trauma still haunts millions of LGBTQ Americans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/religious-trauma-still-haunts-millions-of-lgbtq-americans/ar-BB1hogkN?cvid=732696736b294d3bb70e230987f5fff3&ei=8

Story by Spencer Macnaughton (28 Jan 2024)

Kellen Swift-Godzisz, 35, said he doesn't go on dates, struggles with erectile dysfunction and is hesitant to trust people. For more than 20 years, he's experienced intense bouts of anxiety and depression that have had a "major hold on his life."

"Imagine being told by everyone you trusted that you're going to hell because you like men."

At just 11 years old, Swift-Godzisz recalled, he would sit in his bedroom every night praying or writing letters that said, "Please God, remove my affliction of same-sex attraction," and would then store each letter in an overflowing shoebox in his closet.

Swift-Godzisz is among the 1 in 3 adults in the United States who have suffered from religious trauma at some point in their life, according to a 2023 study published in the Socio-Historical Examination of Religion and Ministry Journal.

Experts say LGBTQ people — who represent more than 7% of the U.S. population, according to a 2023 Gallup poll — experience religious trauma at disproportionate rates and in unique ways. Very little research has been done in this field, but a 2022 study found that LGBTQ people who experience certain forms of religious trauma are at increased risk for suicidality, substance abuse, homelessness, anxiety and depression.

Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

D'Amalie

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on January 29, 2024, 07:33:04 PMReligious trauma still haunts millions of LGBTQ Americans

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/religious-trauma-still-haunts-millions-of-lgbtq-americans/ar-BB1hogkN?cvid=732696736b294d3bb70e230987f5fff3&ei=8

Story by Spencer Macnaughton (28 Jan 2024)

Kellen Swift-Godzisz, 35, said he doesn't go on dates, struggles with erectile dysfunction and is hesitant to trust people. For more than 20 years, he's experienced intense bouts of anxiety and depression that have had a "major hold on his life."

"Imagine being told by everyone you trusted that you're going to hell because you like men."

At just 11 years old, Swift-Godzisz recalled, he would sit in his bedroom every night praying or writing letters that said, "Please God, remove my affliction of same-sex attraction," and would then store each letter in an overflowing shoebox in his closet.

Swift-Godzisz is among the 1 in 3 adults in the United States who have suffered from religious trauma at some point in their life, according to a 2023 study published in the Socio-Historical Examination of Religion and Ministry Journal.

Experts say LGBTQ people — who represent more than 7% of the U.S. population, according to a 2023 Gallup poll — experience religious trauma at disproportionate rates and in unique ways. Very little research has been done in this field, but a 2022 study found that LGBTQ people who experience certain forms of religious trauma are at increased risk for suicidality, substance abuse, homelessness, anxiety and depression.

ARGH!  Organized religion.  Hmmm.  I have to tread carefully here.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

D'Amalie

Quote from: D'Amalie on January 30, 2024, 04:47:41 PMARGH!  Organized religion.  Hmmm.  I have to tread carefully here.

wouldn't care to run afoul of "The Foul Language and Respectful Communication Policy."
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •