Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Your first visit to a salon for a feminine hairstyle

Started by ChrissyRyan, January 30, 2024, 07:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissyRyan

What was it like for your first visit to a salon for a feminine hairstyle?
Or are you in wait for this wonderful experience?

It was so nice for me.

Sometimes though it may not turn out the way you hoped.  Perhaps the stylist misunderstood what you wanted, botched it, or you otherwise left unsatisfied.

Was your experience a good one or disappointing?

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

KathyLauren

"For a feminine hairstyle"?  No such luck.  I don't have enough left for that.  I go in just to get it cut to length.  If they can make it look not too masculine, that's a plus.

When I take off my wig, the hairdresser will often comment that she didn't know it was a wig.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Jessica_Rose

I was nervous during my first visit. I didn't know what I wanted, so I asked the stylist to do what she felt would look best. Big mistake, it was horrid. I returned a few weeks later to try again. Same stylist. I told her I didn't really like the style she tried on my previous trip. She tried something different. I cried. For the first time in my life, I saw a woman staring back from the mirror. It's been six years now, and I still go to the same stylist.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

Devlyn

At my first appointment I explained that I was transgender and wanted a fully feminine hairstyle. I had been growing my hair out from a crew cut for five years. I asked her what most women my age would have done and she said "They say 'I have grey hair, fix it!'" So she chopped off about five inches and made me a blonde.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

ChrissyRyan

The first time I went to a stylist for a feminine cut I did not say that I was looking for a feminine cut and I did not leave with a feminine cut.

The first time I leveled with a stylist that I am transgender and wanted to move to a feminine cut was a smart thing to do.  My hair became progressively more feminine looking over time.  In fact, when I had some highlighting also, my hair looked too feminine and I decided to revert back to my natural color because my hair could not look that feminine at that time because my transitioning progress was not ready for that.

So if you want a feminine cut be open with your stylist.  If she is willing to help you as a transgender woman (MTF) then keep returning, tip well, and enjoy your transformation over time.  You might be able to get a stylist referral from a transgender group, even the group's Web site, or a LGBTQ+ Web site.

If you are scared, or do not particularly want your hair styled with other customers around, try to see if you can get an early morning or last of day style appointment.  You can call for an appointment and say you are transgender and desire a beginning or end of day appointment for more privacy.

It does not likely matter, I do not think, if you are presenting as female when you go to the stylist but as you transition female appearance in all ways will just be the natural way to go. 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Oldandcreaky

QuoteI had been growing my hair out from a crew cut for five years.

Whoa! Five years would put my hair below my bum. I know because I've grown it that long a couple times.
  •  

Donica

My first time, I was more concerned about what my stylist thought of my botched hairline than anything else. It was a couple years after beginning my transition before my hair was long enough, and then, I just had the length trimmed. Sense then, I've made a few trips to the salon to get makeovers for special events.

Hugs!
Donica
Rebirth 06/09/2017. HRT 08/22/2017. RLE 07/14/2018. Name and Gender change 10/19/2018. FFS 09/06/2019. GCS 05/26/2021.
  •  

big kim

Had a long straight style with bangs (fringe) for a couple of  years, it was about 3 inches below my shoulders & left with a long spiral perm. It was great & she did a brilliant job.
  •  

D'Amalie

Lovely woman, my stylist!  Wife's urging to use the same person as she.  I wound up with a perm and a very light trim with an admonition to let it grow out so she could "do something more to make me pretty."

My hair is so white naturally it shows as extremely pale blonde with hair care products applied.  My avatar shows applied hair color like my sisters.  Eyebrows are still dark though.  No suggestions for that.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

EllenW

I was a little nervous as I went dressed very feminine. I just started to transition and spent most of my time as <deadname>. But the salon staff was very professional.

Here is photo after my first visit.

I could comb this cut into a male style or a female style like above.

Ellen
2018 - Full Time
2019 - Legal Name and Gender Change
2021 - MDV GCS with Dr. Ng (UCLA)
2021 - BA
2023 - PPT Vaginoplasty with Dr, Gupta
  •  

ChrissyRyan

What do you think of bangs?  Not side swept bangs but the bangs that come straight down. 

Chrissy

•  

Gaby_Doll

I did my own hair for years. I wouldn't like how I looked anyways, so why waste money on it? So with almost no experience — probably like three or four actual haircuts for big events — I went into the salon and asked for "an Audrey Hepburn style haircut." I was experimenting and not fully out yet at the time. They did the best they could but it was a bad choice of hairstyle for my face shape. Not nearly enough framing. Lessons were learned, and I am a long hair gal for life now.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I decided against the bangs, but maybe I will style that into a new long hair wig, should I ever buy another.

Chrissy
  •  

D'Amalie

No bangs for me either. Swept across is okay though.  I've not settled on a style yet.  What ever I wind up with in about another 6 months will be soft waves rather than tight curls though.  I've got an appointment on Friday for a trim.  Patience needed.
Avatar bangs won't fly on my much older face.
One shouldn't open the book of another's life and jump in the middle.  I am a woman, I'm a mystery.  I still see and hear who I used to be, who I am, who I'm gonna be. - Richelle
"Where you'd learn do to that, miss?" "Just do it, that's all; ... I got natural talent." "I'll say you do, at that." - Firefly
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: D'Amalie on February 12, 2024, 07:32:09 AMNo bangs for me either. Swept across is okay though.  I've not settled on a style yet.  What ever I wind up with in about another 6 months will be soft waves rather than tight curls though.  I've got an appointment on Friday for a trim.  Patience needed.
Avatar bangs won't fly on my much older face.

You look nice.  I wonder at times how old can you be and still look age appropriate with long hair, and by long I mean coming down your front and back to your boobs.  I do not wear a long hair wig much but I still like to at times. 

I do not know but I do think if a woman wants to wear long hair, that is her choice.  Why not?  I admit it makes me feel younger.  I dress age appropriate and modestly.

I guess this is not that important as I wear my natural shorter hair most of the time,  it is easy to take care of.  But it is harder to wear a bob style with each passing year if out as a guy, it is a young men's look.  So I may just have to finally say goodbye to the guy.  Or get a pixie cut. 

Perhaps I am overthinking this. 

I should get to work, have a good day everyone!

Chrissy
  •  

D'Amalie

Now you've got me thinking. I'll have to look up a pixie cut.   

I'm pretty sure bangs are out, long hair works if tied back or plaited/braided?  My hair is white now and below collar length.  It seems like it's taking forever to grow out on the sides.  I'm careful to avoid the mutton dressed as lamb ..... or at least I hope so.

I also think that no makeup is better than too much.  I'll use mascara, eye liner nothing more, although these days it seems I have perpetual darkeness under my eyes.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: D'Amalie on February 13, 2024, 11:55:56 AMNow you've got me thinking. I'll have to look up a pixie cut. 

I'm pretty sure bangs are out, long hair works if tied back or plaited/braided?  My hair is white now and below collar length.  It seems like it's taking forever to grow out on the sides.  I'm careful to avoid the mutton dressed as lamb ..... or at least I hope so.

I also think that no makeup is better than too much.  I'll use mascara, eye liner nothing more, although these days it seems I have perpetual darkeness under my eyes.

On the Star Trek Voyager show, Kes had a nice pixie cut.  It could pass as a male hairstyle much easier than a bob cut, but not on her.  No mistake she appeared female. 

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090412144145/memoryalpha/en/images/b/bb/Kes_hologram2371.jpg

What is so nice is that there are so many styles we can wear compared to guys it seems. 

Chrissy
  •  

Jessica_Rose

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 13, 2024, 01:50:10 PMWhat is so nice is that there are so many styles we can wear compared to guys it seems. 

Chrissy

Wait, guys can have different hairstyles? My dad was in the military, and so was I. I had the same hairstyle for over 50 years, and I never expected it to change. Now my hairstyle changes whenever the wind blows!

Love always -- Jess
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: Jessica_Rose on February 13, 2024, 02:05:17 PMWait, guys can have different hairstyles? My dad was in the military, and so was I. I had the same hairstyle for over 50 years, and I never expected it to change. Now my hairstyle changes whenever the wind blows!

Love always -- Jess

Jess,

Yes, guys can have different hairstyles, such as short, even shorter, mullet, ponytail, crew cut, bald cut, flattop, words etched in the hair, etc.  They can even part their hair from the left or the right.

Bor-ring.

Chrissy
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 12, 2024, 07:59:55 AM...

I guess this is not that important as I wear my natural shorter hair most of the time,  it is easy to take care of.  But it is harder to wear a bob style with each passing year if out as a guy, it is a young men's look.  So I may just have to finally say goodbye to the guy.  Or get a pixie cut. 

Perhaps I am overthinking this. 

I should get to work, have a good day everyone!

Chrissy

Since I wrote this I have come to the conclusion that I really do not want to cut my hair as I love my style and it is affirming.  So for now, I will keep it the just the way I like it.

Chrissy
  •