Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cycling post-surgery

Started by KathyLauren, February 01, 2024, 08:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KathyLauren

I am four years post-surgery (vulvoplasty, a.k.a. zero-depth vaginoplasty), and I am thinking about getting back into cycling.  My recovery from surgery was a bit problematic with unexplainable pain and pressure.  I am mostly pain-free now, but I wonder if I will be able to ride a bike, and whether it is worthwhile getting my old bike fixed up.

I used to ride a customized touring bike back in the day, including a multi-day tour and riding over Canada's highest paved mountain pass (and flying down the other side at 80+ km/h!).  But it has been many years since I rode.  I have an old e-bike that needs a new battery.  I haven't ridden it or anything else since my surgery.

Does anyone have any experiences or pointers about getting back on the saddle after GCS?  Can it be done?  The saddle on my e-bike has a cutout to avoid undue pressure on either male or female anatomy, supposedly.  I don't intend to do anything strenuous.  For one thing my lungs can't handle exertion now.  I would just be puttering along like any other 70-ish fuddy-duddy.

I appreciate any thoughts.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Iztaccihuatl

Hi Kathy,

Knowing that everybody's mileage varies anyway and that there is only one way to find out for sure, I'd suggest to just give it a try and see if you are comfortable. I don't think there are any concerns since you are already 4 years post-op and should be fully healed up. Also, after the first ride past a longer break a bike's saddle usually hurts under the pelvic bones and not on the genitals, so I think that shouldn't be a problem either. If you have access to a stationary bike, for example at a gym, give it a try there first before investing any money. Even if your old bike is not ready for a ride, you could at least climb on it and see if you are comfortable sitting on the saddle for a while.
  •  

RobynTx

Since everything varies from one person to another, the only thing is to give it a shot and see how it does.  I was four months post surgery for the same procedure and I didn't notice any issues riding a bike.  Granted I do wear cycling shorts with the pads built in but I didn't experience any pain or complications.

•