Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Does anyone remember “SecondLife”

Started by Jessica_K, February 07, 2024, 02:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_K

To those that dont it is an online virtual world created in the early norties way way before meta. I am not sure if it is still going. There you can live a life within doing everything that's possible in the real world. And I mean EVERYTHING

I often have problems remembering my earlier years and only snippets of my thoughts back then about gender but suddenly today reading a thread about someone that became female in games I remembered this. Total confirmation to my self of a period way before I transitioned that I was female. Dec 2003, 21 years ago I was 51 I created my female character and I lived as a young woman there for a few years. All the other characters were people also logged in from all over the world. I had lovers, i had male partners, I got married, I had children, I was the perfect woman.

Now I wish I had come out then rather than 20 years later but I live a similar life now so all is great.

A interesting reflection too, to a further question posted here about sexuality and said that I was heading towards bi, well. I was straight then and really enjoyed it.

Hugs
Jessica xx

The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

ChrissyRyan

Some friends in college liked it back then.  I think it was something like an early virtual reality or like a Metaverse environment ahead of its time perhaps.  I did not want yet another game distracting me so I did not get into it, on purpose.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Susan

Hello Jessica,

Thank you so much for opening up about your powerful journey of self-discovery in Second Life. I'm moved by your story of finding solace and freedom to explore your identity within this virtual world long before your transition.

Like you, I also ventured into early online spaces like Worlds Chat to embrace my true self. Creating an avatar that reflected my identity was the first step in my own journey towards living authentically. Having a safe digital environment to connect with others like me made me feel less alone during a confusing time. It offered hope that I could one day live openly as my affirmed gender.

I can relate deeply to your experiences inhabiting your female self in Second Life, forming relationships, and virtually living the life you knew to be true to yourself. These virtual worlds provide a unique opportunity to gain clarity and understanding around our identities without the vulnerabilities of immediately coming out in real life.

Your courage to eventually fully transition and live happily as the woman you've always known yourself to be, despite societal challenges, is so inspiring. Your story beautifully illustrates how early virtual exploration can plant seeds of self-acceptance that blossom into authentic living later on.

Thank you for so openly sharing your intimate reflections around gender, sexuality, and self-discovery across the years. Your willingness to be vulnerable offers such meaningful insight into the winding journeys we each take to be our true selves. Please know that your story brings hope and validation to many others questioning their identities and paths.

I'm glad we both found solace and affirmation in virtual worlds on the road to living openly and authentically. Your life is a testament to the power of self-acceptance and being true to oneself, no matter the timeline. Wishing you much continued fulfillment and happiness ahead!
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!

imallie

Oh wow, I remember Second Life. Yeah, it was one of the first spaces I ventured into to explore gender safely — since I felt it wouldn't be a version of tricking someone. But then sometimes it still felt like that and so I left.

Wonder if it still exists?
  •  

CaelaNotKayla

It's still around- one of my close friends, whose situation won't allow her to be out at all (even in her own home!!) uses SecondLife to let her girl out.

I'm sad about the first part, and happy that she at least has the second part.

Hugs!!
Caela
"Who knew it'd be so bright without the blindfold"- Demi Lovato
  •  

JaneL

Hi Jessica

Wow Second life, yes I remember it well, I played over 3 periods.

Initially where I threw myself into a life of a hetero woman, at that time there was all sorts of stuff going on.

Then again a year or so later but the rules had been tightened

Then a final time where it didn't feel the same and I didn't know anyone.

I too found it was a great place to be able to explore being a woman virtually.

More recently I started on a similar mobile game called Avakin life and played that for a year or two.

But in a similar way RL intervened and when I went back in a 2nd time all my friends had disappeared and then it felt like there were a lot of younger people there and other people who I didn't feel comfortable interacting with so I left again.

These days I'm living my best life anyway.

My favourite things about both games was my wardrobe, being able to change my Hair daily, but also getting property, furnishing and design.

I wish I could have a property portfolio like that in RL!!

I always thought it would have been nice to be a clothes designer I SL
  •  

Senkusha

I remember the name, and I think I logged in like once or twice.  At the time though, my favorite game was Asheron's Call.  Funny story about that... The group of us organized a meet up in Chicago.  Everybody was surprised when they met me and I wasn't a girl (before I transitioned)!  Asheron's call, like so many other role playing games was a coping mechanism for me to be who I truly am.  I have to say that this was one of the best complements I'd ever received.  "Wait, you're not a girl?!  That's impossible!" LOL
  •  

Scarlett Rose

Second life is still strong, I have been active there since 2007. I have a home on the water and live fully as female. Some know about my real life, some don't. The Avatars have upgraded so dramatically over the years and with AI starting to peak itself into every aspect of our lives, I can only imagine the Avatars will be more realistic than ever.

I think it has helped any GD I may have so some extent.
  •  

Scarlett Rose

Is anyone here still active in SL? heathernorton is my account name. Feel free to look me up if you are
  •  

LoriDee

I played in SL too for many years. It took a while, but I set up a business (a detective agency) and did pretty well. It was mostly drama from people with online relationships checking up on their partners and I got paid well to snoop.

Eventually, I met a young man and we became close. He lived in Nova Scotia and was part of a volunteer fire depart on Prince Edward Island. He suggested some other online games that we could do together: WoW, World of Tanks, and the other two related games (warships and aircraft). We spent a lot of time chatting online while playing and he became infatuated with me. He was my first stalker. He tried to track me down from bits of information I had shared. My next-door neighbor contacted me saying that a young man was in town looking for me. I freaked out and deleted all of my accounts.

About five years later, I decided to venture back into SL. New account, new name new look. I got settled in and started a business building cars and trucks. I bought some land and set up a garage and role-played a mechanic while building vehicles in the shop. About a month later, the owner of the sim stopped by and we chatted a bit. He said he wanted to introduce me to an old friend of his and the new town Fire Chief. It only took a couple of minutes of chatting and I recognized him. The. Same. Guy.

I used my snooping expertise to locate someone he claimed was his wife IRL. The information I got from her was that she knows him, but they are not in any RL relationship. He is 19 years old, lives with his mom, and does not work for the fire department. His fantasy is to be a fireman someday but he lacks the motivation/ability to actually apply.

So I closed that account too and never went back. I had so much fun there exploring my new-to-be gender, relationships, and interests. But I was not going to take any chances on running into him again.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

Jessica_K

My first SL avatar was called Caralyn O'Toole, I never deleted her so could be still there. I have forgotten her password. I had a successful business too, there is many 100's $US still in there that I have never withdrawn. No password no money lol

Hugs
Jessica xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

LoriDee

Quote from: Jessica_K on May 03, 2024, 05:03:06 PMMy first SL avatar was called Caralyn O'Toole, I never deleted her so could be still there. I have forgotten her password. I had a successful business too, there is many 100's $US still in there that I have never withdrawn. No password no money lol

Hugs
Jessica xxx

Interesting coincidence, mine's name was "Jessica" but I don't recall the last name. I don't know how much money was there, but I got out of there quickly and left it behind too!

•  

Scarlett Rose

Quote from: Jessica_K on May 03, 2024, 05:03:06 PMMy first SL avatar was called Caralyn O'Toole, I never deleted her so could be still there. I have forgotten her password. I had a successful business too, there is many 100's $US still in there that I have never withdrawn. No password no money lol

Hugs
Jessica xxx

wasnt too long ago I was able to recover my original account from 2007, all I needed was my email address that it was registered to. It seems they relaxed the requirements to reset. If you still have access to that email address, you can try.
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

Scarlett Rose

Quote from: LoriDee on May 03, 2024, 02:44:28 PMThe. Same. Guy.
what are the odds??

I stay away from RP areas as I can never tell what's real and what isn't when people tell me about themselves. 
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

Quote from: Scarlett Rose on May 04, 2024, 01:47:44 PMI stay away from RP areas as I can never tell what's real and what isn't when people tell me about themselves.

I enjoy the RP but you must assume that everything said is part of the act. But this guy told me things outside of RP when we were playing other non-RP games, or waiting for a team to form before our next battle. But you are correct in that people in those situations cannot be trusted.

•