Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Pondering ethical organized religion

Started by Susan, February 10, 2024, 01:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan

In a world abounding with diverse cultures and beliefs, our pursuit of spiritual truth unfolds in myriad ways, each path reflecting the profound tapestry of human experience. This quest for enlightenment or ultimate understanding is seen through countless lenses, each shaped by the aspirations and insights of seekers.

Recognizing this rich diversity, we understand that there is not one universal path to spiritual realization but many, each uniquely crafted to the journey of the individual. The concept of multiple paths to enlightenment, as varied as the individuals who pursue them, celebrates the diversity of spiritual expression. Christians, atheists, Jewish people, Muslims, Indigenous people, and followers of belief systems that bring good into the world all navigate distinct trajectories toward universal understanding and peace. Our purpose in this world is to progress spiritually, discovering universal understanding and peace, guided by the one universal ethic – the Golden Rule: to love one's neighbor and treat others as one would wish to be treated.

This fundamental ethic, resonant across numerous traditions, underscores that the essence of morality lies in empathy, respect, and mutual care, suggesting a just society is built on compassion and understanding rather than the strictures of dogma. The paradox of a deity granting free will, yet restricting it under threat of eternal torment, invites us to critically examine the motives behind our moral choices. Observing the laws of the universe, we see that consistency is a hallmark of the divine; thus, when we encounter inconsistency in religious teachings, it suggests the influence of human interpretation rather than the pure word of God. This insight challenges the traditional narrative of divine justice, prompting us to consider the value of actions taken out of genuine compassion or ethical conviction rather than fear of punishment or anticipation of reward.

An equitable approach to salvation, accessible to all irrespective of background, champions the importance of doing the right thing for the right reasons. This viewpoint critically addresses the notion that suffering might be divinely ordained to teach empathy, highlighting the moral quandary posed by a system where pain is a prerequisite for moral growth. It calls into question the justice of a scheme that necessitates suffering for enlightenment or compassion's development. Moreover, the idea that a deity might condemn individuals for whom they love, or permit persecution for living their lives authentically—especially concerning LGBTQIA and transgender individuals—conflicts sharply with principles of compassion and unconditional love. A truly loving deity would advocate for love and authenticity over condemnation, challenging us to reflect on the ethical implications of religious teachings that cause harm.

The misuse of religion to justify exclusion, persecution, and hatred, misleading followers in the divine's name, underscores the need for a spirituality that transcends dogmatic boundaries, fostering a more inclusive and compassionate worldview. This calls for a reevaluation of our understanding of the divine, suggesting that perhaps the essence of the divine lies not in orchestrating challenges but in the compassion, solidarity, and action these challenges inspire among us. An inclusive approach to spirituality celebrates our shared humanity, encouraging us to find truth and peace not in conformity but in the richness of our diverse experiences and the depth of our shared values. It invites us to engage in actions born of love rather than fear, championing a view of morality and spirituality grounded in genuine commitment to doing what is right.

If such a deity exists, they would surely embrace our diversity as beautiful aspects of creation, worthy of respect and dignity, not flaws to condemn. This vision embodies unconditional love and mercy, transcending human limitations and inviting us to stand with those who suffer, offering hope and solace through our actions and understanding. This reflection is a plea for each of us to pursue our paths with integrity and compassion, respecting others' journeys while committing to ethical living that transcends fear of punishment or desire for reward. It's a call to action to shape a world where every path is honored, every seeker finds their place, and every action is taken for the sake of goodness itself, fostering a society where compassion, understanding, and mutual respect flourish.

Just some late-night thoughts for people to consider.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

tgirlamg

A wonderful post Susan!

The Golden Rule is the key to many doors! I always resonated deeply with this brief scene in Kingdom Of Heaven... David Thewlis plays a Hospitaller Knight whom, although it is never stated... is an angel... He tells Orlando Bloom's character, Balien, his view on religion and what God wants of him... Simply his head and his heart... and by what he decides to do each day, he will be a good man... or not!

Onward Beautiful Sister!

Ashley  :)
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment" ... Ralph Waldo Emerson 🌸

"The individual has always had to struggle from being overwhelmed by the tribe... But, no price is too high for the privilege of owning yourself" ... Rudyard Kipling 🌸

Let go of the things that no longer serve you... Let go of the pretense of the false persona, it is not you... Let go of the armor that you have worn for a lifetime, to serve the expectations of others and, to protect the woman inside... She needs protection no longer.... She is tired of hiding and more courageous than you know... Let her prove that to you....Let her step out of the dark and feel the light upon her face.... amg🌸

Ashley's Corner: https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247549.0.html 🌻
  •  

Yvanektara

I quite agree. Many organized religions set their theologies as the source and basis of all their ethics, and if those approaches are incomplete, allowing passivity on the part of adherents, those ethics can quickly degenerate into following the leaders who happen to be in charge at the time. It does call for us to consider the ethics themselves and what makes them ethical. Even so, there's a danger.

This became clear to me in 2012 when I took a class in Ethics. One assignment consisted of taking a news item and evaluating whether decisions should be commended or condemned based upon 1 of the moral theories taught in class. I noticed something. Only 2 people found anything to commend and the rest found things to condemn. I brought up this issue with the professor, and he was clearly shaken to realize that students found more to condemn than commend in humanity, and his feelings as an instructor were understandable.

When we consider ethics, especially when approaching the realm of spiritualities and religions, we should also ask ourselves the real objective we seek in those ethics. Key to this, I think, is the objective of innocence. What is it in the first place? Is it something we approach legalistically? Or is there a naturalistic approach that should direct our approach to our ethics, and consequently, our relationship to one or more spiritual traditions? I think it's the latter, for the former too often tempts us to vindictiveness instead of providing an impetus toward greater compassion.

In other words, if small children are our examples of innocence, and if innocence is a precious thing to be preserved, is it because of their ignorance, especially regarding sex? If so, we do no favor by teaching them anything. Is it sinlessness? If so, the popular "original sin" idea prohibits it. If we appeal to small children not understanding enough to be accountable, we retreat again to the idea of innocence being ignorance. So what are we really talking about?

Looking into their eyes, I see what it really is. They continually live a dream and that with gusto and great wonderment. In fact, the frequencies of brain waves in small children are slower, more akin to deep meditation and dreaming than what we commonly find in adults. If those wonderments are tempered with a recognition of truth as not absolute but objective, we can feel assurance that the wonderment we should feel about the world, one another, and even deity should remain in balance.

Northern Star Girl

@Yvanektara
Dear Yvanektara:

I see that you have just signed up and you are now a member.... and this is your first post
on the Forum. Thank you for getting involved!

We strive to make this a safe place to find information and to share your thoughts and comments. We all come from different backgrounds and represent a wide range of experiences. No matter who you may be, you are always welcome at Susan's Place.

We would like to get to know you. Once you feel comfortable here, please feel free to stop by the Introductions Forum and introduce yourself and briefly tell us something about yourself.

Please review the links at the end of this message, they include information that will help you navigate the site and use the available features. When you reach 15 posts, you will be able to send and reply to private messages and you will also be able to add an avatar to your profile. Until then if you have any questions about the Susan's Place site and the Forums, please feel free to contact me via my Email at alaskandanielle@yahoo.com

Once again, Welcome to Susan's Place!

Danielle [Northern Star Girl]
The Forum Administrator

Helpful links to information that you should read
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the HUNTED PREY : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: ALASKAN DANIELLE's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: LoriDee

LoriDee

@Yvanektara

Wonderfully written post. I enjoyed your perspective on this.

I'd like to welcome you to Susan's Place. Take some time to read through the links Danielle posted for you. We would like to get to know you better and read more about your perspective on other topics too.

The site is huge, so if you get lost or need help, feel free to reach out.

Welcome to Susan's Place!

Lori Dee
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •