Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Healthy Eating vs. Social Media Trolls

Started by imallie, February 11, 2024, 01:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imallie

Hey all - I've discussed this in my member blog a bit, and I don't know if people will see it in this forum or not... but thought I'd put it here for those who stumble upon it and need to hear it.

There is A LOT of terrible information on food and health on social media right now. So many so-called influencers on TikTok and X, who walk through grocery stores, or purport to be doctors (of literature, I suppose) and try to tell you that "vegetables are dangerous", "oats are bad for you!", and to "avoid all seed oils"... "you are killing your children if you let them eat a PopTart,"... only THIS kind of cutting board is safe for your food prep, etc etc etc

So much food shaming, and terrible information to boot, all in the name of self-promotion (and often selling supplements or sponsored brands which are "approved" by them).

Please, stop listening to all that noise.

Here are a few facts:

Just 1 in 10 people in the US currently eat the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables each day.

95% of US citizens do not eat enough fiber each day

75% of us do not get enough exercise/activity of a daily basis.

THOSE are the things that matter.

Eat your fruits and veggies. Get enough protein and fiber. Be active. Get enough sleep.

If you want to lose weight, you need to be in a calorie deficit, but to do that, make sure you're making room for foods you enjoy.

Try to eat nutrient dense foods as about 80% of your diet, and 20% can be foods that just fuel your soul.

Another way to think of it is, eat what you like, add what you need.

And be kind to yourself.

But do not listen to folks trying to scare you for their personal benefit. Please.

Love,
Allie
  •