Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Getting 'clocked'

Started by Jessica_Rose, February 19, 2024, 02:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica_Rose

Most (all?) of us are concerned about getting 'clocked', and we often make up scenarios about how we would react to the situation. Who are you most concerned about? Men, women, friends, or strangers? Are there any times or locations you are most concerned about?

In the beginning (not that long ago, we had electricity), I was concerned about anyone and everyone. Would people stare at me? Would they call me out and make a scene? Would someone verbally or physically attack me? Eventually I was able to relax, and only became concerned with women possibly complaining about me being in the ladies room. After two or three years without seeing any pitchforks or torches, I finally realized that I was going to be OK. I expect all of the surgeries helped a bit, but confidence in my own presentation probably made the biggest difference.

Love always -- Jessica Rose
Journal thread - Jessica's Rose Garden
National Coming Out Day video - Coming Out
GCS - GCS and BA w/Dr. Ley
GCS II - GCS II and FFS w/Dr. Ley
FFS II - Jaw and chin surgery w/Dr. Ley
Hair - Hair Restoration
23Mar2017 - HRT / 16Feb2018 - Full Time! / 21Feb2019 - GCS / 26July2019 - GCS II / 13Oct2020 - FFS II
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B, Moonflower

KathyLauren

I was definitely worried prior to starting to transition my presentation.  But, if anyone "clocked" me back then, they didn't do anything with the information. 

That was a kinder, gentler time, when making a scene by calling out a trans person publicly would have been unthinkable.  The media coverage of the pogrom currently underway in the US is starting to have an influence here.  The time may not be too far off when people feel bold enough to push past the veneer of civilization and make a scene because it is politically expedient to do so.  I definitely worry about getting clocked under those conditions.

We are not there yet, fortunately.  I still go out without makeup because I got out of the habit during covid.  Getting clocked is not something I worry a lot about in the present.  As in the past, if people do clock me, they don't do anything with the information.

In the future, though, maybe I will have to up my presentation a bit.  Luckily, my features have feminized enough that any clocking is likely to be "Is she or isn't she?" rather than "There's one!"
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

LoriDee

Very similar to what you experienced. Early in my transition, I was scared to death of being seen. Over time, I realized that if someone has a problem with me, then it is their problem. There are times when I go out in a hat instead of a wig and no makeup if it is a quick errand. I think if someone made a scene calling me out, I would ask them if they were hitting on me like I didn't understand what they were saying. If it came to a physical confrontation, I could hold my own in a fight, thanks to extensive military training. The jerk would suffer the humiliation of being "beaten by a girl". Fortunately, most people I encounter are either supportive or keep their thoughts to themselves. But as KathyLauren said, times are changing and we need to be aware of possible danger.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Sarah B

BlueJaye

I have never been "clocked". I actually experienced the opposite before I started presenting as a woman. Late in my transition, when I was still presenting as a man, people thought I was a trans guy and a couple of rude old ladies made some comments about how I would always be a woman. Lol.

The only situation that I would be concerned about would be being nude in front of others. I haven't been able to obtain vaginoplasty, so I still have a pee spigot. I avoid locker rooms at gyms for that reason.
  •  

Jessica_K

What you see is what you get with me. My avatars are without filters it's just me folks a normal confident woman bit on the mature side but can still party. I cannot remember the last time I was clocked but it matters not. I know who I am. My only concerns of going out is that of a woman going out. I make sure I am safe.

Hugs
Jessica
Xxx
The brand new "A Day in the life of Jessica_k" blog
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,246835.new.html#new

•  

Susan

Dear Jessica Rose,

Thank you for sharing your insights and experiences regarding the challenges of being perceived as a transgender or non-binary person. This topic deeply resonates within our community, underscoring the importance of fostering open dialogue for mutual support and understanding.

Embarking on a transition journey often entails significant anxieties about societal perceptions. These concerns, arising during interactions across various social spheres—whether with men, women, friends, or strangers—can be intensified by specific environments, thereby heightening feelings of vulnerability.

However, as you have insightfully noted, the development of confidence in our presentation over time can markedly alleviate these fears. While physical changes, including surgeries, contribute to our sense of well-being, they are not the sole factors in achieving a state of comfort and self-assurance.

Reflecting on my personal journey, I found a profound sense of comfort in my identity well before undergoing any gender-affirming surgeries. Initial steps, such as adopting specific hairstyles, applying makeup, and eyebrow styling, were pivotal in addressing my gender dysphoria. These modifications enabled me to feel that I "passed" well enough even prior to any surgical interventions, highlighting the notion that such procedures are not a necessity for everyone seeking to reconcile their external appearance with their gender identity.

It's essential to acknowledge that each individual's transition is deeply personal and unique. What proves beneficial for one person's journey may not necessarily align with another's needs or preferences. Gender-affirming surgeries, while a significant and affirming step for many—including myself—are a personal choice that I have never regretted.

A crucial lesson that has been instrumental in my journey concerns the significance of self-worth. Realizing that the opinions of others hold no value unless we accord them importance was an empowering revelation. By cherishing our worth and identity, we cultivate the resilience required to confront any challenges that may arise. This understanding enables us to navigate our lives authentically, armed with the resilience and confidence needed to surmount any obstacles. It is vital to remember that our self-esteem and confidence significantly influence our ability to navigate the world as our authentic selves.

In addition, recognizing the invaluable role of support networks in our journey cannot be overstated. Friends, family, and community groups offer a foundation of support that bolsters our resilience and enriches our journey. Their presence and understanding provide a source of strength and encouragement that complements our inner resilience.

As we continue to share our stories and listen to those of others, we not only provide support to one another but also pave the way for a broader understanding and acceptance of the diverse experiences within our community. I encourage everyone to engage in these dialogues, fostering a culture of empathy and solidarity that can transform individual challenges into collective triumphs.

Thank you once again for the candidness in sharing your journey. Your openness contributes significantly to our community's dialogue, offering perspectives that enrich our collective understanding and support for one another.

Warmest regards,
Susan Larson
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!

Miharu Barbie

Quote from: BlueJaye on February 19, 2024, 07:43:01 PMThe only situation that I would be concerned about would be being nude in front of others. I haven't been able to obtain vaginoplasty, so I still have a pee spigot. I avoid locker rooms at gyms for that reason.

Hi BlueJaye. It makes me sad to hear that any of us avoid places and situations that most people take for granted. I totally get it; bigotry is an ugly thing, and every trans woman wants to avoid being a victim of bigotry.

As far as I'm concerned, you are all woman, and you always will be! 

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
                    Bernard Baruch
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I admit I do not like being clocked. 
I cannot say that I got use to it, maybe some women have.
However this does not stop me from me presenting as me.

The exception to presenting as myself (female) is when I know that it is not the best situation for me, as getting clocked or "questioned" would not be good.  That situation occurs not as often as it used to.  Yay for that.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Alexa08

hello, everyone

I started my journey in 2016, three years of these were pre-HRT i myself at the time still felt alot of anxiety for going out in society in the way i truly wanted, being scared to wear clothing that would give clear obvious signs to people. my mind would loop ridiculous scenarios majority of which were exaggerated by my own mind. This was how i thought back then really bad i know, at the time my hair was not even close to the length it is now, being reasonbly short and looking more like i needed a really bad haircut than anything else. Thankfully i started HRT in 2018 and by this time my hair had grown out to just around my shoulders, i still however had the anxiety of being (clocked). i spent afew years trying to overcoming this and i still get alittle anxious now but no where near as bad, my hair has rapidly grown, i've adapted a feminine style appearance i for so long wanted and for that i'm proud, people do still look, they stare, heck.. some even comment but they either gender me right by saying 'have a nice day love' or 'is that a woman or a man' the second admittedly is teenagers/youngsters majority however are genuinely polite, hardly any results in a physical altercation.

Alexa

LoriDee

@Alexa08

Hello Alexa08,

I'm Lori Dee. Welcome Back to Susan's Place!

I've been informed that you are a returning member. It is always great to see people coming back. Some things have changed around here. Most recently was a server crash, that resulted in a lot of accounts getting deleted, as you may already know.

If yours was one of those, we would love for you to stop by the Introductions Forum and re-introduce yourself. We have quite a few new members here, (me included), and we would love to know more about you.

The site itself has had some changes too. Just in case you need them, I am going to post some important links below to help you regain your bearings and find your way around.

When you reach 15 posts, you will be able to send and reply to private messages and you will also be able to add an avatar to your profile. Until then if you have any questions about the Susan's Place site and the Forums, please feel free to contact me at LoriDee605@outlook.com

Once again, Welcome back to Susan's Place!
~ Lori Dee

Helpful links to information that you should read
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training

davina61

I am fine till I open my gob, must do some more voice work! Even then I get gendered correctly except on the phone.
a long time coming (out) HRT 12 2017
GRS 2021 5th Nov

Jill of all trades mistress of non
Know a bit about everything but not enough to be clever
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Quote from: davina61 on March 06, 2024, 03:42:05 AMI am fine till I open my gob, must do some more voice work! Even then I get gendered correctly except on the phone.

The voice is one thing to master, that is for sure.  Sometimes mine is actually okay.
But no sweet melodic tone as the usual.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •