Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The Story of Lori

Started by Lori Dee, February 23, 2024, 09:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on June 04, 2024, 12:20:58 PMEveryday try to think positive thoughts.

Chrissy
@ChrissyRyan
Dear Chrissy;
Yes indeed, you are right on !!!!

Positive Mindset... put away negativity
        https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,238255.0.html

HUGS, Danielle [Northern Star Girl]
****Help support this website by:
Subscribing !     and/or by    Donating !

Check out my Personal Blog Threads below
to read more details about me and my life.

(Click Links below):  [Oldest first]
  Aspiringperson is now Alaskan Danielle    
           I am the Hunted Prey : Danielle's Chronicles    
                  A New Chapter: Alaskan Danielle's Chronicles    
                             Danielle's Continuing Life Adventures
I started HRT March 2015 and
I've been Full-Time since December 2016.
I love living in a small town in Alaska
I am 44 years old and Single

Email:  --->  alaskandanielle@
                             yahoo.com
  •  

Lori Dee

It's raining (again) so I emptied the rock tumblers and got them going on their next cycle.

These are the ones that have finished polishing. I like the Chevron Amethyst (top-left). Quartz in the middle, some banded jasper on the right. The bottom left is Teepee Agate, which is actually a dark red. And the bottom right is Bubblegum Agate.

Some cameo shots showing details:

Chevron Amethyst

Dark Amethyst backlit

Teepee Agate... is that a pre-historic paw print? ;D

Bubblegum Agate... I love the swirls of color

These will get added to the ever-increasingly large pile of stones that eventually, someday, will become a piece of jewelry, maybe, someday. I think.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - FFS & Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Moonflower

Lori Dee

Today was a great day!

82 degrees in the city. Up in the forest, about a 1,000-foot elevation difference, it was 72. The water was running a little high and fast, but not dangerously so. My mining partner/bestie/photographer was having knee issues. (It was replaced a few years ago, so I told her to return it to the shop on a warranty claim.) She was content to sit in the shade and watch me work.

Our main dig site is rather hidden and involves crossing another creek to get to a "sort of island". It sits between two creeks and is bordered on a third side by a very wet marsh. We decided to wait until the water level drops a bit more. But in the meantime, there is plenty of dirt we can search.

Across the creek, the Dame's Rockets are in full bloom. They are everywhere. At the bottom and all the way up this rock face.

A close-up of my favorite wildflower.

I followed the smaller creek and the water felt so nice and refreshing. I use a Garrett AT Gold metal detector to locate "drop zones" where gold collects. Usually, the gold is too small to be detected, but if a pile of it collects together I can find it. I also listen for signals that indicate lead shot, like from shotguns, or even bullets. Lead is 11 times heavier than water, gold is twice that at 20 times heavier. So if a signal tells me that lead shot has collected at a spot, I usually find gold there too. All the heavy stuff collects in the same spots. Write that down. There will be a test.

Think I am having fun? Yup.

OK. Where are you?

Gotcha!

Come to Momma!

I forgot my glasses. Where did it go?

Each season I periodically post pictures in my Gold Gallery on my website. The link is in my profile, then go to the photo albums section. I don't post all of what I find, but if I have a good day or if there is something interesting about the gold I found, I will post it. Just not today.  ;D

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2020 - HRT / 2022 - FFS & Legal Name Change / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

ChrissyRyan

Very nice pictures!

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Lori Dee

Lori Dee

I saw a halo around the moon last night.

Growing up in the desert in California I met a Navajo Medicine Man. He told me that a halo around the moon means a storm within three days. So far, he has never been wrong.

And here it is — wind, rain, and hail. Gotta love Springtime in the Black Hills.

Northern Star Girl

Quote from: LoriDee on June 10, 2024, 05:08:34 PMI saw a halo around the moon last night.

Growing up in the desert in California I met a Navajo Medicine Man. He told me that a halo around the moon means a storm within three days. So far, he has never been wrong.

And here it is — wind, rain, and hail. Gotta love Springtime in the Black Hills.

@LoriDee

Dear LoriDee:
I have heard that also... regarding a halo around the night moon
predicts a coming storm.

I have always called the halos around a night moon,  Moon-bows
They can be a simple halo around the moon or it can include all the
colors of a daytime rainbow. 

Here is an informative explanation:  (with photos)

Do You See A Moon Halo Or A Moonbow?
          https://www.farmersalmanac.com/what-is-a-moonbow

HUGS, Danielle

yahoo.com
  •  

Lori Dee

@Northern Star Girl

That's awesome. I've never seen one as big as they describe. Usually, it is just moonlight shining through clouds. But the halo is completely round even though the moon was just a crescent. I did a lot of camping at Yosemite when I was younger, but never saw a Moonbow. Adding that to my bucket list.  ;D

Iztaccihuatl

If you want to see a moonbow you need to visit Cumberland Falls in Kentucky. They claim it is the only place in the western hemisphere where a moon bow shows predictably, usually for 5 nights every month.

Here is how it looks with a camera. Please notice the stars in the sky, the big dipper to the right. The human eye, btw, only sees black and white during the night.

•  

Lori Dee

Wow, Heidemarie.

That is a great pic! Thanks for sharing.

•  

Lori Dee

The saga continues...

I was switched from oral estradiol to patches because I was experiencing a hormonal rollercoaster. Hot flushes, night sweats... yeah, PMS daily. The patches provided a steady dose, but never enough to hit my target serum levels.

I was switched to a different doctor who tried to increase my dosage, but I was already at the highest dose patch and wearing two a day. So she switched back to oral and upped the dose. And I went back to daily PMSing.

Then the VA decided to bring my care in-house and assigned me a new doctor. She switched me back to patches and increased the dose to three a day. The pharmacy screwed up and sent the generic Mylan patches, which I already know don't work. So Doc got with the Pharm Tech and ordered Grove brand patches.

That was back in March. On June 3rd I had labs drawn to check my serum levels on the Grove patches, compare those results with my previous experience with them, and compare their effectiveness vs the generic Mylan patches.

The results came in today: 78. I had one doctor tell me my target serum level was between 200-250. This doctor said I should be just under 200.

In almost five years, I have been over 100 exactly three times, and never consecutively. It also has nothing to do with Mylan or Grove brand, or oral. It appears that none of these are working at this dose and I am frustrated to the point of anger.

I see my doctor next Monday. She is a wonderful person. She recently traveled throughout Europe studying the latest in Transgender Medicine. I have only had one visit with her, so I am very curious how she will handle this issue. I expected to have this figured out four years ago and just be on a maintenance dose by now. *sigh*

•  

Gina P

My levels were never high enough on patches. I was switched to weekly injections which has worked for me. A pain injecting but worth it.
  •  

Lori Dee

I was wondering about that since patches and oral do not seem to get the job done. It will be interesting to see what she suggests. My first Endocrinologist and I would have arguments about how I wanted things and what the VA policies would allow.

•  

Lori Dee

Woohoo!

UPS delivered my new 10-man tent today. Last summer I had an 8-man tent and it was barely big enough to accommodate me and my gear. That tent got destroyed during a wicked hail storm. I was under trees, but tennis-ball size hail ripped two holes in the tent.

I now have all my gear packed up in the Jeep. In addition to mining and camping gear, I also have three 6-gallon water cans that I use for bathing and washing dishes. I still need to do laundry and clean out my rock tumblers. Then load up clothing, food, and drinking water.

The plan is to spend five days a week at the mining site. There is no cell service out there, so I will be limited on updates. I have doctor's appointments and other commitments which will bring me back to the city. I typically use those days to shower, do laundry, and resupply before heading back out.

I won't be posting photos here for security reasons. I have been open about who I am and what I do, but the exact location of where I go is something I keep "close to the chest". I will continue to check in from time to time as I can. Sometimes the night air allows a decent cell signal where I can access the internet.

I am hopeful that this will be a great season.

Kay226

Hi Lori,

My son told me the newer iPhones can make a satellite call. Just saying. I know those things are pricey!

Sounds like a fun adventure. Be safe out there and hope you find some shiny things.
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
quote by Mary Oliver

The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.
quote by Elizabeth Gilbert
  •  

Paulie

Hi Kay, I heard that too but I think it's more of a T-Mobile and Starlink thing than just an iPhone.
It might be worth talking to someone at T-Mobile to see how far it's come along. 

This article is from the first of the year.
https://www.satellitetoday.com/connectivity/2024/01/03/spacex-launches-first-direct-to-cell-starlink-satellites-for-service-with-t-mobile/

•  

Lori Dee

Came back early due to the weather forecast. Tomorrow is predicted to be 93 degrees and rain. When that happens it almost always results in wicked thunderstorms with dangerous hail. I learned my lesson last summer. I had two hailstones the size of tennis balls rip through my tent. I'll have to dig out the pics and share them.

The outing was not a failure though. There is a spot a short distance upstream from our usual mining spot. It has all of the signs of being a large drop zone that may have been collecting gold for decades or longer.

If you have read my articles on prospecting that I have posted on my website, you should understand this: The creek travels in a relatively straight line, then makes a sharp 90-degree turn. The creek gets its energy from the flowing water (kinetic energy) that pushes material like sand and gravel along the bottom. If the water slows down, it loses energy and can no longer push the heavy stuff along the bottom. So heavy materials like gold, lead, platinum, etc. will drop and settle to the bottom.

As the creek makes a turn, the water on the inside of the bend slows down. Think about the wheels on a car as it turns. The wheels on the outside of the turn go faster and on the inside go slower. So it is common for gold to be found on the inside bend of a creek or stream.

In this case, the creek flows in a straight line, then hits a rock face at the base of a cliff. The momentum almost comes to a full stop, then the water makes a 90-degree right turn. My guess is that when the water hits that rock face and nearly stops, all the heavy materials will drop right there.

In previous years when I checked that spot, there was a nice deep "fishing hole" there, probably from the turbulence of the water against the rock. But that hole was about five feet deep. I can stand in a hole that deep, but then can't bend over to do any shoveling without taking a deep breath first. Shoveling dirt underwater is hard enough, then add the current of the stream flowing.

Over the years that area has flooded twice since I started mining there. Now, that hole is mostly filled in with sand and silt. The good news is that I can easily walk to the spot and dig. The bad news is I am digging sand and silt. It will take a while to get down to the heavy gravel. If we have a dry year, the water level will drop and allow me to continue digging. Too much rain and that spot might have to wait another year.

Forecast for the next seven days: rain, sun, rain, sun, rain, sun. rain.

*sigh*

Lori Dee

Last summer, I was "between apartments" so I went camping for six weeks during July and August.
IT. WAS. HOT. It hit 108 in Rapid City.

I found an excellent campsite, in the shade of trees, protected from wind and being seen by humans.

I was settled in nicely and doing some prospecting in the area when my emergency radio alert went off. Severe Thunderstorms coming. So I backed the Jeep further under the trees to better shield it.

The hail was so big and coming down so hard I could not make a run to get in the Jeep. I sat it out in my tent wearing a bucket on my head for a hard hat. I'm glad I did. Two hailstones with jagged edges ripped holes in my tent. One near the door and the other on the back side panel.

I have a video I shot looking out the tent window. Imgur won't let me upload it because it is too long. But I shot the video of these hailstones bouncing off my Jeep. I thought they were going to bust out a window for sure and I wanted video for any insurance claim. The trees minimized the damage to the Jeep, my tent, and me.

My friends said they wished they had a picture of me sitting in my tent with a bucket on my head.

imallie

Hey Lori -

First of all - so cool that a) you do that and b) you get such a kick out of it!

So can I ask a couple of questions which are, I'm certain, pretty ignorant... but they're just because I'm curious?

These mining sites --is it a law of diminishing returns? I assume the more they are mined, the more difficult it is to mine subsequently both in terms of quality and quantity of stone, yes? And unlike, say rooting for truffles or something, they aren't in a constant cycle of growth, right? So how do you combat this?

Second, does the rain or any foul weather play into this in a positive way? I know it certainly can make a pleasurable experience unpleasurable... but I mean, does erosion ever refresh a site or an area?

Just curious how the mechanics of all this works! Seems fascinating!

Love,
Allie
  •  

Kay226

I am glad that you chose to return home and be safe!
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
quote by Mary Oliver

The universe buries strange jewels deep within us all, and then stands back to see if we can find them.
quote by Elizabeth Gilbert
  •  

Northern Star Girl

@LoriDee
Dear LoriDee:
Welcome back from your camping trip.... 
You were much missed here on the Forum while you were away.
HUGS, Danielle
[Northern Star Girl]

yahoo.com
  •