Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My Mother Always Said, 'It Hurts To Be Beautiful"!

Started by Colorado Girl, February 24, 2024, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado Girl

...and she wasn't kidding, LOL! I just had my second electrolysis session yesterday - and truthfully - it wasn't as bad as the title of this post is making out! Thankfully, I've always had much lighter hair on the sides of my face, which is where she chose to work yesterday, so a LOT was accomplished in the hour session. My esthetician commented that she can likely have my face clear in about 6 months. I love the results so far but will REALLY be happy when it's time for just maintenance.

A quick question: what type of topical numbing product did you use when they worked above you upper lip? (I KNOW it's going to hurt!)
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I think that some ladies use 5-10% lidocaine cream but I have no experience with that.

I am glad you survived your second visit with the electrocutioner (electrolicist).
LOL.  Ouch.

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

big kim

I got a jab from my dentist. II didn't feel a thing but it left my top lip red & grilled looking for a few days after & it started hurting a bit as it healed
  •  

Colorado Girl

Quote from: big kim on February 24, 2024, 11:43:06 AMI got a jab from my dentist. II didn't feel a thing but it left my top lip red & grilled looking for a few days after & it started hurting a bit as it healed

Thanks, Kim! I actually thought about asking my dentist for Novocain - wondering if he'd be willing to do it.
  •  

ChrissyRyan

I have seen a post here about how some ladies can go to specific surgery centers and they use anesthesia and do your face hair removal all at once.

Maybe someone can post the details of that. 

Chrissy
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Colorado Girl

Quote from: ChrissyRyan on February 24, 2024, 03:12:37 PMI have seen a post here about how some ladies can go to specific surgery centers and they use anesthesia and do your face hair removal all at once.

Maybe someone can post the details of that. 

Chrissy

I've heard of that...I seem to remember that there are reputable centers in Chicago and Dallas. I'll look into it!
  •  

LoriDee

Go to a tattoo parlor. I bought some lidocaine numbing cream from a tattoo supply house online. But a tattoo shop might sell you a tube.
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training
  •  

NancyDrew1930

I don't have that many more sessions left, however, I will say I find that as I'm on MTF HRT longer, laser is starting to sting more.  I have heard that estrogen does thin out the skin, so I guess for me that laser being more painful is a result of HRT and shows that HRT is working (in a painful way---but at least I have no more shadow on my face, and remaining hairs are more like vellous hairs).

Alexa08

I have had 7 sessions of lazer hair removal, from experience my first session was quite painful (not really great at handling pain haha), but i did have lot of depth to my hair, it was also very dark in colour. You'll find though that as you attend more sessions and your hair deminishes the pain will not be as bad, i was on estradiol valerate hormones tablet form throughout from the first appointment, i'm now on patches and am awaiting my 8th and final session, i wouldn't like to speculate that changing from tablet to patches would change any pain ratio as i'm unsure of this theory, but i would have thought it wouldn't. good luck though and all the best :)

Alexa

BlueJaye

Your mother probably never had to do laser hair removal. I have never understood the "beauty equals pain" thing. Beauty is mostly being lucky to win the genetic lottery and taking decent care of yourself. None of which normally involves pain.
  •  

Jenn104

I have done laser above and below my waistline, if you will, for visible hair and surgical prep.

Above the waist, I have prescription lidocaine and it does help. Some areas are more sensitive than others, with my upper lip being the worst. Prescription lidocaine is the ointment of the gods.

Below the waist my tech is very very experienced and allergic to lidocaine. I have a routine-- advil before, squeeze tennis balls and grunt during, rehydrate with mango juice. It work for me.

I tell myself "eyes on the prize" and cope.

~Jenn
"I want to be remembered as a woman ... who dared to be a catalyst of change."
                 - Shirley Chisolm

imallie

Six months and a clear face? How I envy you! I'm at 16 months and counting... and likely at least until the end of the year.

Anyway, when it comes to the lip area, what my electrologist does is while she's working on another area, she will do "surgical strikes" and just grab a few under and over the lip and then go back to her regularly scheduled area. So that way, it's just a few zaps and it's really nothing.

In general I sometimes fall asleep during electrolysis without any numbing, so I know I'm not one to talk about the pain stuff... but when it comes to THAT area, even I know care is required. So that's why I say if you can't find a numbing option, see if the "little at a time" option is on the table.

Good luck!
  •  

becca.anne

I get 10% lidocaine cream from the electrologist. I also cover the area with the cream with a clear plastic wrap. This is to ensure that 1) the cream does not dry out too fast and 2) it helps with absorption (so I am told). Mostly works.... just mostly. The upper lip however....

Becca
  •  

Colorado Girl

Quote from: Jenn104 on March 05, 2024, 08:20:08 PMI have done laser above and below my waistline, if you will, for visible hair and surgical prep.

Above the waist, I have prescription lidocaine and it does help. Some areas are more sensitive than others, with my upper lip being the worst. Prescription lidocaine is the ointment of the gods.

Below the waist my tech is very very experienced and allergic to lidocaine. I have a routine-- advil before, squeeze tennis balls and grunt during, rehydrate with mango juice. It work for me.

I tell myself "eyes on the prize" and cope.

~Jenn
"Eyes on the prize" is my motto, too!
  •