Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Getting vaginoplasty on blood thinners.

Started by CosmicJoke, February 25, 2024, 11:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmicJoke

Hi everyone. To make a long story short I was planning last year to have a vaginoplasty done. Much to my surprise I had a pulmonary embolism on Christmas Eve due to blood clots. I am now prescribed Eliquis along with my Estrogen therapy.

My life took quite the U-turn. I still want vaginoplasty but now my concern is how much blood I might lose due to the Eliquis I am on. I worry the risk could potentially outweigh the reward now.

My Dr. has been informed about my case. My question is does anyone have any experience with GCS on blood thinners? Maybe you have some knowledge about this?

Thanks in advance.

Mariah

Quote from: CosmicJoke on February 25, 2024, 11:33:57 AMHi everyone. To make a long story short I was planning last year to have a vaginoplasty done. Much to my surprise I had a pulmonary embolism on Christmas Eve due to blood clots. I am now prescribed Eliquis along with my Estrogen therapy.

My life took quite the U-turn. I still want vaginoplasty but now my concern is how much blood I might lose due to the Eliquis I am on. I worry the risk could potentially outweigh the reward now.

My Dr. has been informed about my case. My question is does anyone have any experience with GCS on blood thinners? Maybe you have some knowledge about this?

Thanks in advance.
This would be a question for the surgeon and any doctor that has to with the pulmonary issue. What options they may have will vary based on your situation and on the surgeon. What every doctor is going to require to allow this to be an option often comes down to a case by case basis. Anything they have you do will determine if the risks out way the rewards. Doctors often have you stop taking certain medications before surgery and in the case of GCS for a period of time. It's a great question to ask, but this is one of those cases where the surgeon and your doctors need to weigh in on this. I know when I had surgery I had to have 3 doctors sign off due to my medical issues. I hope that it isn't that complicated for you. Hugs
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator

LoriDee

I totally agree with Mariah. The surgeon knows his/her staff and what they can manage. My guess is you will be asked to stop the meds a short time before surgery, then resume when they give you the okay.

I have no experience here. I wish I had more to offer. Hugs!

Lori
My Life is Based on a True Story.
https://www.susans.org/index.php/topic,247442.0.html

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything.
Maybe it's about un-becoming everything that isn't really you,
so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

2017 - GD Diagnosis / 2019 - Full time / 2020 - HRT / 2024 - Voice Training